Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Picenian short sword I just finished. (Read 18740 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Picenian short sword I just finished.
Jun 3rd, 2012 at 1:15pm

Hallo people,
those of you who took a look at the topic about yesterday's event may have seen that I finished forging my Picenian short sword.
Today it took me about 3 hours to polish it and sharpen it, and here's the result:

The sword is heavy, and unbalanced, but has a nice steel edge and, for the first time in my forging experience, I managed to turn iron into a truly reliable steel: when I used the file on the edge, I discovered that going from 3/4 of the blade to the tip, the file slip on the blade: this only happens on steel!
Now the bigger work is done; I have to make 3 or 4 holes on the sword to put a handle on it, and I'm going to build a sheath.

The sword is known as the "Novilara type", and was the first iron weapon that could outmatch the more sophisticated bronze ones.
Warriors took it to their chests, and that's why its tang is so inclined.
It was used from 8th to 7th Century b.C. in my Region, Croatia and Balkans; it traces its origins to some bronze knives that are widely spread in Hungary, Romania, Germany, Austria and Italy, even if it's obviously different in many aspects:

The original sword on which my replica is modeled, it has been found in a grave dating to the 7th Century b.C. in my town:

And a comparison between the original sword and my replica:

It took me about 7 hours to make this sword, and about 8 kilos of vegetal coal. All in 3 days of work.
What do you think of it?!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Picenian short sword I just finished.
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 2:42pm

Hmm, let you know when it's got a handle and a bit of polish - at the moment that angle between the tang and the blade just looks wrong to me, nothing like any of the swords in your pictures  - but what do i know, I'm a club and axe person   Grin

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 6:46pm

You're right, I have to explain better how this sword was used!
Picenian warriors carried this sword on their chests; the reason is unclear and I suspect that the sheath provided more protection to the body. Know that Picenian warriors were light infantry, and their defensive equipment was a small disc protecting their heart and a short skirt protecting their genitals.
Shield and greaves being optional, these defences left the stomach undercovered; when they begun adopting Greek weaponry in 6th century, the use of the shield spread and body defenses lost importance.

Since the sword was carried on the stomach, and the sheath had (perhaps) a defensive role, they find it useful to keep it inclined, therefore increasing the area defended by it.
And having an inclined tong allowed them to load the blow with the bare act of unsheathing the sword.

Let me show you what I mean:

Bronze swords I showed above are small knives indeed, and belong to an era which is much more ancient than my iron sword's. I just posted there to show you how the concept of curved blade survives in the transition between the Bronze and the Iron Age.

The following picture depicts the grave found in Ancona as it was when archaeologists discovered it; I circled the sword so you can see how inclined was the tang, now missing:

Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:41am

Picenians in the 7th century B.C. weren't much warlike Smiley slingers fodder with that much armour,a group of slingers would have turned them into a mass grave. Cute little sword by the way  Cheesy

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:26am

To be honest, we find weapons in every male's graves from 10th century to the Romanization, so they obviously went to war.
But how was their war?
Judging by the objects we find in the graves, and comparing the Picenian society with the Etruscan and Sabinian ones (their neighbors) I think that Picenians lived in a confederation of proto-towns, perhaps divided into tribes. The fact is that we don't have a single evidence of Picenians that are at war with each other, so perhaps they enjoyed long years of peace.
But they were also known as mercenaries and pirates, at least judging by Silio Italico's "Punica" and by archaeological evidences (the Novilara Stele, where a Picenian war ship defend a Greek merchant one by the attack of other Picenian pirates - and they fight with slings!).
Other traces of their ability in war are the fact that in inland's graves we find Greek helmets (war trophies) and that the Celts managed to conquer the Northern half of Piceno in 5th Century, before being stopped by the people living in my town.
But generally Picenian had good relationships with their neighbors, trading with Etruscans, Greeks and Celts, and the fact that Rome chose the Picenians as allies for their wars against these populations is somehow indicative of Picenian's skills as warrios.
They had light weaponry, nonetheless, as usual in archaic Italy: this because war was more a duel between heroes than the extermination and subjugation of the enemy. And the Region Marche (ancient Piceno) has great woods and hills, where a light equipment and a guerrilla-style works better than heavy infantry in close formations  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:31am

I think it's great you do this. So many historians just sit in offices and interperet the past from the available data. But actually going out and getting you hands dirty and making things the way the people did, that's true history.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:45am

Looking forward to seeing it with a handle, I'm thinking cobolo or tiger stripe maple and have it bulge towards the back like a kukri handle.  Cool

I'm a bit more of a wood worker than metal so that's what i'd like to see.

I have a fair amount of fighting knowledge and expierience but I'm a little low on archeological practice  Wink so I think between the guys on this fourm and yourself, we can figure out almost exactly how they would have fought.

If I was running an army and had access to these warriors, I'd use them as scouts and sometimes very light infantry. The curved handle would seem to give similar properties to the blade as a curved blade, but simply hammering the tang down is a heck of a lot easier than making a kukri/falcata type design.

I think we get a false immage of 'warriors' from hollywood as only the guys with bows or guys covered head to toe in armor like knights and hoplites. When in reality, a suit of armor like that would cost thousands to 10's of thousands of dollars (obviously they used a different currency at the time, but same value) so any the very wealthy would have extensive armor. Your warriors look like a much more common set of soldiers, Heck most light infantry dressed in a similar fasion, minus the chest plate and just with the 'underarmor' and a sword.

This would indicate your warriors were either very expendable or quick on their feet, used in steep terrain, took on only small forces at a time, in a hot enviorment, and didn't engage in mass warfare as the spartans, knights, and smaurai did. Kind of like italian ninjas, but a little less asassin like and more like isrealite light infantry. In fact, with the similarity in rough terrain, you should probably check out isrealite light infantry tactics and you might get some more clues as to how your warriors fought.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:06am

Nice work Mauro.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:11pm

Very good work.  I think that will work well in a slashing style of attack.  It would have been completely different than bronze weapons, which would have quickly made either the style of fighting and the weapons very old fashioned and very difficult to counter. 

And I think all males or most, would have carried weapons because there would not have been any state type government to make or enforce laws, hunt crimminals or protect people from wild animals.  Or keep your neighbors from taking everything you have.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:43pm

Very impressive, Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:18am

Thanks, people!
I already wrote something on the evolution of the curved sword in Italy here: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1327384530/30

And here's one of the few sculptures that the ancient Picenians left us: the Capestrano Warrior, 6th Century:

It's a votive sculpture, 2 meters tall, that was put on a grave to identify the dead.
It represent a very wealthy warrior, a prince, and being a funerary gift it has a mask and a cap that have never been used in war.
From the top, the warrior is equipped with a kardiophilax (the heart cuirass), a sword that he keep on his stomach, an axe (symbol of bot political and religious power), a skirt and greaves. He also has 2 throwing spears (engraved on a side) and he wears sandals, bracelets and a necklace, symbols of wealth.

He was a chief, therefore we can imagine many of his equipment was made in bronze (greaves, kardiophylax, accessories).
But he surely had iron spearheads, axe and sword.

The Picenian warrior I want to replicate is more ancient than this, so he's still a warrior worker (in fact, they found fishing gear in his grave together with his weapons). He already had iron weapons, even if less sophisticated that the Capestrano ones, but there's little bronze in his grave, so perhaps the defensive equipment was made with organic materials.
And yes, they defenitively warred with ambushes, raids and duels at that time  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:09am

I don't care of it was used in war, you definitely need one of those hats!   Smiley

I pictured the Warriors a little more 'blocky' but you can get some insight on the weapons.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 8:46am

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:03pm

Believe it or not, one of our archaeologists here is sure that Picenians wear sombreros.
This because we often find fibulae on their heads, but I think that's because they were wrapped in a shroud (and what a fibula has to do with a sombrero?!).
Unfortunately, there're no evidences of the use of such a hat, even if it looks like the classical straw hat used by farmers and it could have been in use since that time.
It would be a very big target for the warrior's enemy, making it easier to hit him, but don't worry: we have enough evidences of another type of hat that was used in war - and it's extremely ridicolous too! It's conical, and I made one; I have to show you that!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:31pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 2:03pm:
This because we often find fibulae on their heads, but I think that's because they were wrapped in a shroud (and what a fibula has to do with a sombrero?!).

Fibulae are associated with straw hats in modern times. I wear one of these:
on one of these:
http://s7ondemand7.scene7.com/is/image/MensHats/sw~stetson-stratoliner-TS6129wid...;

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)