Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Todays Points and Rock I.D. (Read 2927 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Todays Points and Rock I.D.
May 27th, 2012 at 6:42pm

Hey, all these points I made in about 4-6 hours today, I made up some antler billets and used them for the first time, they are amazing!  They work way better than stone and copper in my opinion, and I was able to get some I think half decent bi-faces out of this tough, fractured and chalky inclusioned black english and brown french ballast flint.  The big ones are almost abo as I used a mild steel pressure flaker to even up the shape and touch up the edges and for the notching but didn't do any of the major shaping with it.   First time using antler and I LIKE IT!  The big ones will likely all end up knives and the small ones necklaces.
          The smaller points are made from the black flint, amber beachglass and what I think to be mudstone?  The rock I.D. I needed was on the two brownish/red points, it is a local stone I find on the beaches here, has no cortex just a polished exterior, some pieces are brick red, some more brown, it also can be so sedimentary layered that it is practically unknappable, (flakes one way not the other...) and other pieces are not like the piece I made these two out of.  It doesn't ever seem to want to yield long pressure flakes, so the points always end up chunky from it, it is still better for working than the abundant quartz here though and I have seen many artifacts on display made from it.  I think it may be mudstone as that is supposed to be around here in N.B. Canada but I'm not sure, if you need more pics of a chunk of it to tell just ask.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Re: Todays Points and Rock I.D.
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2012 at 7:42pm

Very nice bifaces!  I too prefer antler in my billeting, though I may switch to dogwood for my rhyolite as I've had tons of recommendations in that direction.

I also want you to know that I haven't forgotten about getting slate for you.  I had a hard time finding a good public-land source of it in NC, but now I'm in Connecticut for 6 weeks and it is the land of banded slate, so if I can't get some here, I can't get any.  I'll keep you posted.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2012 at 3:08pm

Luke, you're getting better and better.
Me and 2 friends find 3 ancient bifaces last Saturday and your ones looks pretty similar to them!
Go on and keep sharing your pictures!
Thanks,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2012 at 6:49pm

The flat colored flint will heat treat and knap a lot better.  The translucent, I would leave out.  The "mud stone" looks like some type of fine grained sandstone with iron as the matrix.

If you like antler for batons, you need to try wood, I would try birch on the rough stuff.  Also, the antler tips can be used as pressure flakers, punches and notchers.  On Primitive Archer, there is a recent close up of an antler notcher.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2012 at 10:13pm

I tried using a tine for pressure flaking but found it just wasn't producing long enough flakes for me, and I didn't want to destroy my pieces.  I will practice with it on some less quality pieces and see if I can get the hang of it.
  I have tried heat treating the black flint but find if I do it actually will become chalky rather than improve, the brown flint goes white with peach highlights and does improve somewhat but becomes more brittle.  Perhaps I am overheating the black flint though.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:19am

I have never heard of rock turning chalky but I have never tried treating rock that has been in salt water either.  Possibly, the salt water has made some sort of chemical change?  Ask this on Paleoplanet, there are knappers there who have been knapping fo 30+ years, one of them will probably have a suggestion that works.  White with peach highlights is probably too hot.  How are you heating your rock?

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2012 at 11:38am

Very nice work.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2012 at 5:26pm

I have asked on there and have gotten a few responses but no answers.   I have heated the rock beneath a fire, it wasn't too hot and I only heated it for a few hours.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2012 at 8:49pm

Usually, you preform it, build a fire to dry the soil, let the fire burn out, bury the preforms one inch (2.5cm) to 4 inches (10cm), rebuild the fire of green wood, let it burn down to coals, then let the coals burn out, wait 48 hours for the preforms to cool, dig them up and knap.  The secret is how deep to bury the type of stone and how hot to get the fire.  Learning those two will cost a lot of wood and you will blow up lots of rocks.  Ask me how I know that one.  You can also cook pottery at the same time and mix some pot shards in with your rock fragments.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)