Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Acho' Atupat Chamorro Sling (Guam) (Read 70946 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Acho' Atupat Chamorro Sling (Guam)
Reply #150 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 4:46pm

As promised, here is the all agave Chamorro Sling!

I dissasymbled my other survival split pouch sling because I didn't really like how it threw and I thought I could make it better and tighter. While I was starting to braid the pouch I decided to mix things up a bit and try a Chamorro. Here it is. 25 inches Thows rocks just about as well as any sling made from processed materials.

Cool

Thanks for the inspiration Pik!

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #151 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 10:45pm

Salvaged cordage. Cool. Nice work Mr. Dan. Now you can be a level four craft master with super morphing power. No worries on the finger loop as I have found that wrist loops were probably used over finger loops.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #152 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:00am

The 550 Chamorro sling found a new home. There's a local blacksmith that works part time at my favorite surplus place. A few weeks ago when I was in there buying 550 cord to send abroad the clerk cutting the cord asked if I was making survival bracelets. I just left it with, "I'm buying it for a friend." Today I went in with 550 Chamorro sling to show what the cord was being used for. JD the blacksmith marveled and recalled how he had not used a sling since he was a boy. I gave him the sling and a few clay stones and he's promised me a hand forged knife. I took fifteen slings with me on vacation and only came back with the sling I carry on my boonie hat. Giving slings away gives me an opportunity to make and give away more.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #153 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 8:52am

It was a real learning expierience working with unprocessed cord.

First time I didn't tie the knot at the top of the finger loop tight enough, it tore, and I had to splice in some more fibers (which I actually took out of the trash because they were the 'useless scraps') and then retie the knot. Works fine now though.  Smiley

I had to use every last inch of fiber to get that 25". If you plan on making a sling out of unproccesd cord, make sure you have plenty if material. Its a scary feeling when you have a couple inches left and you only have whisps of fibers.

Cool story with that paracord sling. I agree.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #154 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 10:47am

Great slings and stories, Dan and Picåru Smiley

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #155 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:19pm

We learn more by doing. Great effort Daniel San.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #156 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 10:31pm

Soft elk hide padding the finger loop.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #157 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:38am

I like the weaving on the pouch.  Looks like the pouch strands are well splayed by it! I should try and make one of these Chamorros. I got a similar sling in the SITH but it was more like a split pouch that split again.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #158 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:19am

I like it! Smiley

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #159 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 6:20am

Pikaru I hope this wasn't already answered but how do you go about sharpening the ends of those rocks? Technique etc. Really cool and nice work for sure!

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #160 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 12:45am

HMSling, they're kiln fired clay. I form them by hand, one at a time then take them to the local pottery shop to be fired.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #161 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 10:47pm

Sweeeet

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #162 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:08pm

Pikåru wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:00am:
The 550 Chamorro sling found a new home. There's a local blacksmith that works part time at my favorite surplus place. A few weeks ago when I was in there buying 550 cord to send abroad the clerk cutting the cord asked if I was making survival bracelets. I just left it with, "I'm buying it for a friend." Today I went in with 550 Chamorro sling to show what the cord was being used for. JD the blacksmith marveled and recalled how he had not used a sling since he was a boy. I gave him the sling and a few clay stones and he's promised me a hand forged knife. I took fifteen slings with me on vacation and only came back with the sling I carry on my boonie hat. Giving slings away gives me an opportunity to make and give away more.

Here is the knife JD made for me. This is a hand forged high carbon steel razor knife. The blade is just over three inches long and the overall length is just over eight inches. The hardened blade is beautifully tapered and has a high mirrored finish and is razor sharp. The sheath is well made from a single piece of black latigo leather including the belt/lanyard loop. The craftmanship of the blade and sheath are as good as I've ever seen. I almost feel like I got the better end of the deal but like with any good trade, each person walks away satisfied and happy.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #163 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 7:51pm

Pikåru wrote on Feb 21st, 2013 at 11:08pm:
Pikåru wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 12:00am:

Here is the knife JD made for me. This is a hand forged high carbon steel razor knife. The blade is just over three inches long and the overall length is just over eight inches. The hardened blade is beautifully tapered and has a high mirrored finish and is razor sharp. The sheath is well made from a single piece of black latigo leather including the belt/lanyard loop. The craftmanship of the blade and sheath are as good as I've ever seen. I almost feel like I got the better end of the deal but like with any good trade, each person walks away satisfied and happy.

Holy cow that is one NICE knife!!!!!!!

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

thabaill
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #164 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 6:02pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)