Send Topic Print
Another Rockman. (Read 1415 times)
momanoheadhunter
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Southeast Texas,
Another Rockman.
Apr 22nd, 2012 at 5:31pm

I made this one out of fake wool yarn. Have not tried it out yet, but it feels to stretchy, and I made it a bit long.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Another Rockman.
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 6:24pm

It looks good but the stretchiness of synthetic wool yarn can be a problem.  Be very careful testing your new sling.  Stretchy slings can be unpredictable and dangerous.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 8:48pm

Finished this one today using a heavy #48, 6 strand jute. It throws well and is going to be headed over the pond on a trade.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 7:19am

I have about a hafl  a dozen big, heavy slings like that.  I call them war slings.  They're fun to use.  If I were ever in a serious situation where I had to hurt or kill someone or something with a sling a war sling would certainly be my choice.  I've made several TS-3 War slings.  They're some of my favorite to use.
   Nice sling, Pikaru.

IP Logged

momanoheadhunter
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Southeast Texas,
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 8:46am

Quote:
Finished this one today using a heavy #48, 6 strand jute. It throws well and is going to be headed over the pond on a trade.

Thats a nice sling. My next one will be made to hurl large rocks. I threw half a of a broken  brick with a para cord sling yesterday and it blew my mind haw far it went with very little effort. I had to stop because I was easily over shooting my safe area and dropping my brick halves into an area frequented by people. The yarn sling gets tested today in about 20 mins. I started a sisal rock man to and will get pictures us when its done.

IP Logged

momanoheadhunter
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Southeast Texas,
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:54am

scratch the sisal. I made a mess of that one. Going to regroup and try again. That stuff tangles up easy.  And the yarn sling has lost some stretch, but its way to long. Im going to cut it down and keep it as a user.

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 4:46pm

Quote:

Nice work.  Very tight, has that good Balearic look to it.  You're going to start a trading frenzy with those things...................

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 4:57pm

momanoheadhunter wrote on Apr 22nd, 2012 at 5:31pm:
I made this one out of fake wool yarn. Have not tried it out yet, but it feels to stretchy, and I made it a bit long.

That looks good.  You can tighten them by waxing your cords first.  Beeswax will help you hold a tight braid so your hands don't explode from the strain.  Hit it with a blow dryer when you're done but don't run a flame over it.  Acrylic looks horrible if you try to singe it.  Looking good, Man, keep after it.

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)