Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Practice Dart (Read 7030 times)
Atlatlista
Ex Member

Practice Dart
Apr 18th, 2012 at 4:05pm

So, I was over at Michael's (a local craft store chain for those of you non-American types) and I was buying wool yarn for sling making when I came across these 7 foot tall reeds that were meant for home decor.  They were on sale for a dollar apiece, and I thought "What the heck, why not?" as they looked like they might make decent atlatl darts.  They're a bit experimental, as they are very light and a bit on the thin-walled side, and they're also the only 7 foot darts I've ever made, but I couldn't argue with the price.  So, while I was there I also picked up some cheap feathers for fletching, some super glue, a ball of 20 pound hemp, and some leather scrap.  This is the result:

Since the reed is thin-walled, I was careful to reinforce the nock with hemp whipping and then I covered the hemp with super glue.

The fletching is just the trailing edge of a couple of different right-wing feathers.  I secured it with deer leg sinew.  I was going to use hemp and super glue again just to make life easy, but it was too thick and ugly, so I went with the sinew.  I hate chewing sinew.  It makes my mouth feel gross.

For the tip, I decided to go with a design I've used before.  Instead of wasting time and money on stone tips that will break, bone tips that will break and wear down, or metal tips which look out of place, I fill the last node with sand, and then cover it with some thick leather, and use hemp and super glue to secure it tightly to the shaft.  This protects the shaft from breaking or splitting, and adds enough weight to make the dart behave properly, but now I don't have to worry about breaking or losing tips.  Of course you don't get as much of a satisfying stick into the target, but I do a lot of roving aiming at trees and bushes and other targets that don't stick anyway, so I don't mind.

And that's that.  It cost about 3 dollars in materials for the one dart, which isn't too bad.  I'm a little worried this reed is too thin-walled.  It's the same overall thickness as the reeds I collect from the roadsides around here, but the walls on my reeds are about twice as thick.  So, we'll see if it breaks the first time out.  If not, I think she'll be a pretty little flier as she's extremely light weight.

Apologies for the incredibly low-quality iPod photos.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Re: Practice Dart
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 4:25pm

I was going to suggest weighting the front but you have it covered. 

I don't know much about darts but it looks and sounds like a good plan. What I do know about is "stump shooting". 

I like your practice of practicing at throwing in varied terrain, distances and targets. I take my bow out with flu-flu's and blunts for practice in the woods much more than I do at a range. Who cares if your dart doesn't stick if you can't hit what you're aiming at and in a hunting scenario, your prey is not going to stand on flat terrain with good lighting and allow you to pace out the distance before you shoot.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 4:36pm

Nice!
Added to the OPW Index  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

EDIT: wait you chew sinew AND have an iPod? poseur  Grin

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 5:13pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 4:36pm:
Nice!
Added to the OPW Index  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

EDIT: wait you chew sinew AND have an iPod? poseur  Grin

The question remains whether I'm posing as a modern human or a primitive one.  It's about a 50/50 split these days.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 5:17pm

It does not matter, both are fascinating on a person.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 5:28pm

The fact she has an Ipod isn't near as facinating/impressive as the fact she chew sinew.  Smiley

Man, I've heard it's the best way to process it but I've never nown anyone to do it since Ishi. Props.
Some California tribes would also put hide glue in their mouts while cheing the sinew for even better reasults! Though I'd probably brush my teeth for at least 10min afterwards.  Wink

Looks like it'd be a fun thing to play around with. Next to a sling, you have quite possibly made one of the most usefull things from materials from Michals. I can't stand being in there because, for one, it's a craft store, and the imense amount of fancy smelling stuff burns my eyes.  Smiley

If there is a "Deadliest weapon from craft store materials competition" I am pretty sure you'd do quite well.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 5:35pm

Chewing sinew is better than hammering it because your spittle makes it softer to handle (believe me); I didn't know about hide glue but hey, it has to improve one's spittle effect!
Thanks Dan,
Mauro.

EDIT: just to make an example, never tried to tie something with a wet rope? the knot will be harder once the rope dries. And sinew works in the same manner  Wink

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:12pm

I pound the sinew with a smooth, round stone, or an antler billet until I have clean white fibers.  I then tear off the fibers I need and chew them in my mouth for ten or fifteen seconds (trying desperately not to gag, more from reflex than taste) and then I take it out and use it for whatever binding I need to do.  If there's a way to do this process that doesn't involve chewing, please please tell me.

Oh, and update on the dart.  There was an area about a foot and a half back from the tip that had some cracking that I hadn't noticed until I finished it.  So, I chucked it three times, and the first two were okay going into soft pine needles, but the third throw against a tree caused those splits to extend the full length of the node and to radiate around like a split banana peel.  So, I've lopped off the damaged section, and now I have a 4.5 foot dart that throws reasonably well.  I've got 6 really good dart shafts I've harvested from the roadsides here that need to be made, and 19 more of the reeds I got from the craft store.  So long as they don't have splits, I think the craft store darts will work very well, but I'm going to use my thicker-walled harvested reeds first as I know they'll hold up to real punishment.  I'll probably post pics of them in this thread when I finish them up.

I'm also looking into the idea of an atlatl dart quiver.  Anybody ever made one?

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:13pm

I had some time to kill so I made another of these using my thick-walled reed/bamboo that grows so abundantly on North Carolina's highways and biways.  It looks pretty much identical to the other except that it took a slight curve while it dried (I've not yet mastered the art of drying wood):

I also decided that since the leather scraps I had were thinner than my usual ones that I'd use two layers on the tip:

I had to chew the sinew again - thank god for mouthwash.  One thing that I do find interesting is that I harvested these reeds months ago, and they still have this green coloration to them.  Does that ever fade away?  I wonder if I used an outside source of heat like a heat gun if that would make any difference.  Either way, these things are remarkably stout for how narrow they are.  This one is a pretty hefty dart, as wide as my ring finger and about six feet long.  I think it'll be a fun roving toy.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:28pm

You can always soak them in water rather than chewing them. I guess if you are out in the field chewing might be more convenient than looking for a place to soak them. 

I have a pretty good amount of experience with making arrows from scratch but none for atlatl darts. Still they look good to me. Are you surprised at all that it broke after 3 throws? My experience with reeds from stores like Michael's has not been that good.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 18th, 2012 at 11:28pm:
You can always soak them in water rather than chewing them. I guess if you are out in the field chewing might be more convenient than looking for a place to soak them.  

I have a pretty good amount of experience with making arrows from scratch but none for atlatl darts. Still they look good to me. Are you surprised at all that it broke after 3 throws? My experience with reeds from stores like Michael's has not been that good.

Actually, when I got them I was concerned by how thin-walled they were.  My first thought was "These probably aren't robust enough."  But then I decided to try them.  Now, having tried one, I think its failure came because it was significantly cracked in that node prior to the throws.  This was sort of evidenced by the fact that I threw it as a 4.5 foot dart, ricocheting it off pine trees several times with no damage.  I bet with one that doesn't have cracks at all, it will hold up even hitting solid objects.  They're not darts I would trust my life to, but as a cheap, easy source of dart shafts for roving and target practice, I think they'll work.  Tomorrow, I'm going to be making another one from the craft store reeds, and I'll make sure it's solid before I make it.  I'll put it through its paces and let you guys know if it holds up.

The reason I fell back on the craft store reeds (other than cheapness and ease of obtaining them) is because I'm teaching an atlatl class in a couple of weeks and I don't have enough primitive darts for a class, so I have to make a bunch of them.  The craft store reeds seemed like a good source for darts I wouldn't care about that students could chuck with reckless abandon.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:43am

Yeah as morphy said, most people just soak them in water. But I've heard chewing is a lot better if you are willing to do it.

Atlatl quiver is a interesting endevor. I imiagine trying to hold mass amount of 5ft darts may be difficult. This was one of the reasons a lot of tribes switched over to the bow. However there were still a few like the Hopwell indians that used atlatls all the way up till contact. You could probably just carry them in your hand though I see the resoning behind wanting to cover the tips. I'd suggest some kind of long leather tube with a strap, much like a back quiver but narrower. deep enough so that if you wear it over your shoulder the darts won't tip over (say 4ft long). Then if you are flexible you could draw them out over your shoulder, or you could just hold it in your left hand or on the ground when you need to get a dart.

Quilsinko on paleoplanet has plenty of good leather if you want to do that.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 10:28am

I usually do just hold them in my hands, and it feels very cool and tribal to do it that way, but I wouldn't mind having a quiver that ended up settling on the hip more or less.  It would make removing darts easy, and it would keep my hands free for other things if I needed them to do something else while roving through the woods.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:04pm

Quote:
I'm also looking into the idea of an atlatl dart quiver.  Anybody ever made one?

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1283715633
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1333168357

Not altatl darts quivers, but just make them longer and here you go... wonders of the Search button  Grin
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 3:03pm

Bark quivers are great, and we have a lot of poplar here, and it's more or less the season for basketmaking I think.  However, getting a strip long enough for a dart quiver is not easy.  I think I'd be better off weaving it from vines.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)