Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you unbend your drying wood? (Read 4363 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
How do you unbend your drying wood?
Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:41am

Hallo people,
I am playing with shafts these days and I cut down some little trees to make harpoons with.
Yeah I know I should have done that between November and January, but that's not the point.
The point is, some of these trees are slightly curved, so I decided to hang them to the ceiling with a leather string, the heavier end down side.
This because I thought that gravity would work as a traction force, "forcing" the wood to unbend while it dries out.
I knew I could use heat as well, but would it work on green, thin wood?
What do you think about my method, and what's yours?
I looked for similar discussion, but haven't find any.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: How do you unbend your drying wood?
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 9:32am

If it is green enough you should just be able to bend it the other way. Otherwise what I like to do when I am recurving bows and such is to wrap the wood in damp paper towels, then wrap it again aluminum foil. Now you will need a heat source, preferably a heat gun, and then you heat it untill you can either see the steam coming out the ends or hear it. This won't take long. Then the wood becomes almost like rubber so you get some oven mitts and bend it for a minute or so and it then let it dry.

This usualy works best if you want to fix a big curve or make a recurve, you can probably just use dry heat if it's just a litttle warping.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 12:57pm

I have no experience yet but I watched an episode of weaponmasters about the atlatl where atlatl bob straightened a fallen branch from the DC area (so probably oak or a similar hardwood) it looked like it was kindling material, not green at all, and it straightened really well. So heat might  work fine even if it's not very green.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 1:19pm

Not so long ago i dried a couple of hazel shoots for arrows.I hung them up with a big rock tied on their bottom.They dried just as they were.So straighten out,hung it up,tie some weight,leave to dry..I don't think there's anything better than that.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 4:21pm

I've never been able to make hanging with a weight as straight as when I used heat, then again, I haven't tried hazel.   I have river cane, arrow cane( types of bamboo), and Chinese Privet Hedge, and Youpon Holly, and a few other native hardwoods for arrows and dart shafts.  Incedently, river cane make a great dart point and an OK fish spear when green but becomes too bouyant when it dries out.  A hardwood shaft makes a much better fish spear.

Cut your shoot extra long.  You can hand straighten a green shoot, don't de bark it and straighten it every three days or so, tie it in a bundle when you are done.  Depending on humidity and temperature, it will take a week to three weeks to dry and stay straight.  That means you will have to straighten it at a minimum of three times and probably ten or twelve.  Once it is dry, scrape the bark, cut to length, remembering to leave space for nocks on BOTH ends.  Then burnish it and rub in some type of oil or fat.  When you burnish, you can get your final straightening because you can curve your shaft into a hula hoop if you do it wrong.  Support the section you are burnishing on a flat surface.  Incedently, you save yourself a lot of work if you just cut a straight shaft to start with.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:07pm

Many thanks guys! I'll try what you suggested me even if I'd rathre use primitive tools and skills... by the way I'd like to unbend an old, well dried out wooden spear now, and am probably going to try heat soon... I'll let you know the result!
Thanks,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:12pm

Remember to make haste, slowly.  Heat your dried wood slowly, get it hot all the way through before trying to bend it.  Once it gets hot, you have a very limited amount of time to bend the wood.  If it starts to get stiffer, stop and re heat.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 2:18pm

So how to heat it? Do I just have to pass it over a coal fire (that is, a fire without flames...)?
And I'm going to unbend it pushing it against my knee, is it right?
I'd like to show you what I found during an archaeological research some years ago... a bone that somebody pierced, probably to use as a lever for unbending arrows (the diameter of the hole is sligthly bigger than an arrow's).
Thanks,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 2:26am

To clear things up,my hung up weighted method just keeps the wood drying as it was,it doesn't let it curve additionally as it dries.So straightening before and after is needed for straight shafts.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 10:51am

Here's how I straighten wood...namely ash and hickory tobacco sticks. Water...soak them in water until they're thoughorghly saturated and then bend them into shape.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 6:44pm

Any heat source will do, coals, a low fire, a burner on a stove, a heat gun, a camp stove, those are all I can think of right off the top of my head.

IP Logged

farmerdave
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sunny Colorado
Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 12:39pm

Here's waht I do- and it directly contradicts some of the above advice, so feel free to chime in and tell me why I should try something else. Cut the wood green and immediately peel it. Then straighten by had every few hours until it starts to stay straight, then bind a bunch together tightly with string or better yet, bungee material (the wood shrinks- the elastic tightens itself). This will hold the shafts generally straight until they dry. Once they are fully dry, I pick out the longest, straightest ones for arrows and such, and set the shorter or more crooked ones aside for other purposes. If they still need straightening, I can usually get away with steam from a teapot or our espresso machine.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 1:10pm

heat box works also wet put in heat box 3 60 wat light bulbs work well

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 1:47pm

For shoots, if you straighten it throughout the curing process it tends to work much better. But keep in mind that all woods are different.  What is necessary for one wood might not be for another. 

Rather then repeating everything that's already been said, the best advice I can give you is to spend most of your extra time finding the straightest grain shafts before cutting, every minute spent looking for the best and straightest wood will pay itself back ten fold throughout the life of the shaft.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:53am

When it comes to big shafts for spears or harpoons I don't do any straightening, I simply cut trees that are straight to begin with and then wrap them all up together really tight in a bundle of no less than 5 then either stand them up in a corner or lay them across a few beams in the top of my shed, but be sure that they aren't just supported at both ends or they will bow.  Bundling them up will keep them from going crooked as they dry, when you tie them up wrap one end around and around with the cord, then spiral it down the bundle to the other end and wrap that end up then spiral it back up to the original end and tie off, if you spiral it like that I find it keeps them straight better.
  For small shafts like arrow shafts I straighten them every day with bark removed if wood permits without checking just by bending them straight while they are green, when they dry they should mostly be all straight, then the ones that aren't I heat straighten. 
  If you are looking for good harpoon/spear shaft wood try spruce, fir, or cedar.  Go somewhere deep in the woods with a lot of tall shady trees around and find some saplings growing in a clump, trees growing in the shade grow straighter and taller for their diameter to reach the sunlight and have most of their branches on the top to absorb the sunlight, this is doubled if they are also growing in a clump, this way you get a tall straight tree with few or no branches for most of it.  Another great place to find them is alongside highways, (if you can do it legally,) as they have cut back very deep forest in some places and you will see a line of straight trees all along the roadside.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)