Send Topic Print
Throwing Hatchet (Read 7848 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Throwing Hatchet
Apr 9th, 2012 at 9:43am

My young friend Mark likes all sorts of weapons.  One he has is a SOG throwing ax.  The last time he brought it over and we went down to the lake to throw it into stumps I did terrible.  The few times I did manage to hit the target I got very few sticks and figured that with my terrible throwing arm it was hopeless.  He brought it around again yesterday and I tried a different method of throwing it.  I put next to no arm strength behind it.  I just let the ax spin through the air and allowed it's own weight to do the work.  Immediately my accuracy improved greatly and I was getting many good, deep sticks in a row.  We were standing about fifteen feet from our targets.  What had been quite frustrating became much fun.  I might have to get my own throwing ax.

ThrowingAx.jpg (13 KB | )
ThrowingAx.jpg

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Re: Throwing Hatchet
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:37am

The main thing that's kept me from getting an axe or tomahawk is that they are extremely destructive to the target.  I use pieces of 2X6 nailed to a frame, and they can rapidly destroy these...

I have done some throwing with a very similar weapon, a big meat cleaver.  Technique is the same...

A very "slow" motion that comes fromt the shoulder.  The thing is heavy enough you'd hurt yourself otherwise... Just let it naturally turn over and adjust your distance till you're getting that front-corner "stick".
Someone makes a very small throwing "hawk", and cheap too.  Saw it on Amazon for only a bit over 20 bucks.  Might try one.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 1:23pm

I have thought of buying one of those hatchet with glass fiber handles for use as a cheap throwing axe, but worry, like Bikewer, about the damage to the target, but also the heavy CLANG when the thing don`t stick.   
If I should ever need to use an axe as a throwing weapon, I guess I`d just hurl it and follow just behind it with my knife, berserker style Smiley.
timann

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:39pm

The throwing hatchet is a classic example of bad engineering design.

The purpose of the handle is merely leverage for a strong throw.  It is the head that does the work.

But here we include an awkward heavy handle WITH the throw.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The handle adds weight that has no value, and adds a huge dimension where the head can't stick/cut.

The solution though is simple. 

Don't throw the handle.  Swing the handle, let the head fly off.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 4:34pm

The stumps made very good targets that stood up well to the abuse.  After correcting my technique I found the ax very effective.  We were getting sticks three, four, five times in a row.  In that we were throwing at wooden targets clanging wasn't much of a problem. It wouldn't be my first choice as a weapon but, as timann said, in combination with other weapons it could be quite useful.  I wouldn't want to get hit with one.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 4:37pm

I have one of those as well. I found the handle to be too narrow so I wrapped it with some Amy Digital Camoform wrap. It's now much more comfortable. I ususaly use a wood pile to throw it into, just get a few of the logs and point them towards you and it works pretty great. I threw a lot of mock weapons as a kid so I think it realated to my success now. I almost never have issues with mistaken rotation. The motion feels very natural and whether I throw really hard or lightly it usualy works however I throw. I also throw with 2 or 3 rotations in which the percentage of hits goes down drasticaly but the satisfaction is much greater.
I am not near as good at knife throwing but that's okay as the throwing knife really isn't all that effective for combat under anything less than master status.
Also, the SOG is a general purpose combat tomahawk, which can be thrown. This is a "throwing axe"
http://www.amazon.com/Gil-Hibben-Professional-Throwing-Axe/dp/B000W3U5HS ; Wink

I also sharpened the spike on the back which comes almost rounded and I now I usualy throw it spike first because it preserves the edge.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 5:01pm

Thank you for making that distinction, Dan.  I'm not claiming to know anything about it.  It's totally new to me.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 10:42pm

I use a section of tree trunk about one foot (35cm) thick, as large as I can find and roll out of the woods.  I nail  two 2X4's so the top edge is chest height.  I nail a large gate hinge to the back and another 2X4, this forms a tripod, the target will last a couple of years before you beat it to pieces.  And for some reason, all the right handed throwers hit the left, as you face it, leg, so you will need to replace it about twice a year. 

You want the target thicker than the nails or screws holding the legs or you will notch the edge of the 'hawk when the target gets chopped up and the edge starts sinking in pretty deep.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2012 at 5:31am

Hawk throwing is lots of fun. The key thing is to pop your hand open to release the handle, dont slack off a bit and let it slide out of your grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kruo_gxYesw

At a primitive skills event I taught many people with a Cold Steel Riflemans Hawk thrown into a big sawn end of a fallen tree, five paces, one turn. Shorter people had to be a little closer than taller people because their turn radius is tighter. Everyone was able to get it to stick apart from one guy who was always adding a wrist flick which added too much spin.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 7:29pm

i own the same hawk.......thow i dont throw it, i do use it, and my only complaint it that the edge is to thin and can bend with use
i have had to work the edge a good bit to get it back into shape.

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 11:27am

There are a lot of companies on the internet that sell tomahawks.  Ft. Turner, crazy crow, etc. just do a search and you'll find loads of them.  A hawk is an excellent close combat weapon.  Do a search on Peter LaGana and watch some of his old vids.  Viet Nam era stuff.  An accurate one turn throw into an oncoming enemy enables you to neutralize him and snatch the hawk out as you're running by him as he's falling.  Gruesome, I know, but viable as a CQC weapon.  If you ever had to do that in real life, man, you are having one bad day..............................

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 4:09pm

Nomenclature not withstanding, I'm proud of you, Rat Man.
You found by natural inclination what my of my Boy Scouts could never get.
Congratulations.

Throwing (chopping edged implement): Ax, Axe, Hatchet, Tomahawk.
What it's called may depend on what word is common to the culture describing the tool.
I always simplify with "Hawk".
What Hibben calls a "Professional Throwing AXE", I would call a hatchet because of the length of the shaft.
What I make is 20" long and has a 2-Lb head. Not really your standard issue Indian Tomahawk but just right for my size: 6-2, 220.

But back to what Rat Man said:
The key is to relax and not try to make it do anything.

For the record: I've found what may be the best comercial throwing Hawk: the 16" Estwing Campers Axe.
(below)

Please try one before you knock it. This is a real thrower.

ChuckRocks

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 3:57pm

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2012 at 7:05pm

Very impressive, Michael.  I was hoping to see you throw a U.S. Amry E-tool (an excellent tool/weapon) but I guess we can't have everything.

IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 7:21am

Hey Rat Man,

when i get one, i will make you happy Grin Grin Grin

Michel

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)