Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Settimana della cultura - Slinging.org involved!! (Read 9704 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Settimana della cultura - Slinging.org involved!!
Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:05pm

EDIT: see pictures in the following page!

Hallo guys!
I was wondering to open this topic in the moderator's section, but since it's something that concern us all as a community, I decided to open it here.
With a friend of mine, we recently started an Association of Experimental Archaeology, with the purpose of teaching kids archaeology in a different and funny way, and to work for universities.
Yesterday a girl from an inland municipality phoned us and offered us a job for the beginning of April: a laboratory on flint knapping for kids and adults.
Since that girl is one of the municipality's politicians, and she graduated in archaeology, she's so enthusiastic about our Association that she will engage us for building an archaeological park in the surrounding of her village, in 2013.
This is a big project, therefore she arranged this smaller event in April to show other politicians how our Association works: we'll knap flint objects and expose our other stuff (iron and bronze weapons, Bronze/Iron Age jewelry, leather stuff, clothes and so on) to the public.

Long story short: one of the main guidelines of our Association is the scientifical research before each experiment. This also includes anthropological researches.
Since slinging is one of our experiments, and I've been given slings from Perù, Tibet and Sweden, I was willing to create an "Anthropological Section" of our Association, by exposing these slings (and pottery, flint blade and glass bead given to me by other forum members) to show how this simple weapon has been in use everywhere.
Of course each sling and "foreign" object will be accompanied by a card with the name of the maker and its place of origin, but I was thinking... what if I advertise the forum a bit?
I may prepare a card with the colors and logo of the site, and a sentence like: "Arte Picena's Anthropological section: made possible by slinging.org".

Should people be interested, I'd explain them what the site is about and how to eventually subscribe.
What do you think of it? Can I use our site's colors and logo? Can I mention the site?
I'm asking because perhaps not all of you agree with that, even if I personally believe it might be a nice way to both advertise the forum and give our Association a bigger reliability.

There's plenty of time to decide, just let me know  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2012 at 9:23am by Mauro Fiorentini »  

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Is it OK to advertise the forum?
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:32pm

If you mean advertise the forum, as in tell others about it, then go straight ahead. It's been our goal for a long while, and we often tell people we teach to go onto slinging.org. I would be angry with you if you went ahead, did an awesome event like that, but didn't show off our forum ! Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:17pm

I think it is an outstanding idea.

IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:45pm

Do it Mauro!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:02pm

I was just thinking today of all the members that rarely post now, that used to be regulars... and how much the forum could use some new recruits. Sounds like a fantastic idea.  Smiley

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:05pm

Morphy wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:02pm:
I was just thinking today of all the members that rarely post now, that used to be regulars... and how much the forum could use some new recruits. Sounds like a fantastic idea.  Smiley

U talking bout me?

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:10pm

I don't see a down side to this.  It seems like a good idea to me.

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 3:50am

Excellent!!!

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 4:26am

Do it !!!!

And good luck with the bigger project, archeology park...  It would be really really great !
Is the village in Picenian land ? Wink

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 6:35am

works for me Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:51am

Thank you guys, so I'll use forum's colors and logo to make that card, of which I'll show you previews so that we will work together on it (I'm sure some of you have better marketing skill than me  Smiley ).

Caldou, the site is near a village called Serravalle del Chienti.
The nearest locality is Colfiorito.
It's very close to the Region Umbria, and it's a place full of history: there're plenty of wonderful flint artefacts, a quite relevant Bronze Age village (that we're going to replicate) and a quite vivacious Iron Age: it's one of the few sites of which we know the name of the Picenian families living there. A Roman villa has already been localized, and a Lombard (VIth - VIIIth A.D) necropolis has been excavated recently. In the end, there're ruins of a mid XIVth century castle that was built there to block the way from Region Umbria to Region Marche.

Here's the location: http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&tab=Tl&q=rovine
If you go West on the road from Serravalle, you will reach Colfiorito. Between them, you'll see plowed fields, and there's where the big Celtic fest, Montelago Celtic Festival, take place each summer. Here's a link of the last edition: http://www.irlandando.it/10047-montelago-celtic-festival-2011/
Should you plan to come, let me know that!

Now, I have to find some flint to knap. I went out slinging yesterday and have found a flint core that was already knapped some time in ancient ages. I'll use it again  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 12:51pm

Hallo guys, so here's a preview of the card:

it's just the basic one, and is open to suggestions: how shall we improve that?
For example, I was looking for the same logo's font, but haven't been able to find it. Which is it?
The card says: "Anthropological section - with the important contribution of slinging.org".

I called that girl this evening and she told me that the event will take place the 21st of April, in the local fossil's museum; plus we'll also simulate an archaeological excavation, involving the kids that will play the archaeologist role for a day!  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 3:14pm

It look very nice, Mauro.

Good luck with everything!

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:20pm

I usually talk about the forum when people ask where they can get some help learning after they buy a sling I make.  That's what it's here for.  Smiley

So David overcame Goliath with A Sling & A Stone, and struck him and killed him.  But David had no sword in his hand.&&1 Samuel 17:50
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 5:59pm

Thank you guys!
Mom just told me that the sentence "with the contribution of slinging.org" is incorrect, for the Italian word for "contribution" generally means a financial help.
What if I change it with "with deepest thanks to slinging.org"?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark)