Send Topic Print
Assassin's Creed III (Read 1797 times)
Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Assassin's Creed III
Mar 5th, 2012 at 10:12pm

Well, I don't know if any of you are into video games, but if you are here is the awesome new trailer for ACIII.  And if you don't like video games, then look at the animation or historical setting.  Or the tomahawk.  WANT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVUMPrv8oRw

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Re: Assassin's Creed III
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:22am

Definitely just watched that with my roommate.  It's looks awesome.  Am I weird if I noticed that his coat had turn-backs on the corners and sleeves, just like military coats of the time? Undecided

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 2:22pm

Thunder Chief wrote on Mar 6th, 2012 at 12:22am:
Am I weird if I noticed that his coat had turn-backs on the corners and sleeves, just like military coats of the time? Undecided

The answer to that question is "YES, Definately" but in a very cool kind of way which, if you're going to be weird, it is the best kind.

I still occasionally play Diablo II but I really like the setting for this Assassin game. Reminds me a little of Mel Gibson in The Patriot.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:58am

Well at least it uses the games engine to generate the trailer.
Can't stand the current trend to advertise video games with lame live action sequences.

So whose side is the assasin on ?
The side of right and truth and freedom (that would of course be the english).
Or the side of the ungrateful rebellious unwashed masses ? (that would be the americans)

I'm not biased or anything  Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:13am

Nice CA,

I am pretty sure he didn't go with the british because he couldn't take them seriously with their silly accents.   Smiley
That and I can't see him doing nearly as well with mass infatry tactics/

I don't really play video games. I can, but for one I don't own any kind of system and I'd rather do this stuff in reality (throwing tomahawks, Hand to hand, Primitive archery, free running, etc.). However this game seems pretty cool.
I really like studying the American Revolutionary War. For one, a lot of my grandfathers fought in it, and 2 it really has the values that this country was built on.

The coat actually seems to blend in on this one. And I am digging the bow and quiver even if they are on the wrong side.  Tongue

I think I'd rather just have a regular hawk, although that one might be better for combat, I can't see it working woods task too well. Also I am sure it won't be too long before some wannabees start cutting up sheet metal in that shape and making a few. It would be cool to see how they work in real life.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:16pm by Dan »  

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 11:05am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:58am:
Well at least it uses the games engine to generate the trailer.
Can't stand the current trend to advertise video games with lame live action sequences.

So whose side is the assasin on ?
The side of right and truth and freedom (that would of course be the english).
Or the side of the ungrateful rebellious unwashed masses ? (that would be the americans)

I'm not biased or anything  Wink

We already run all the misfits out of our country, sent 'em back to England...  Wink (movie quote)

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 2:44pm

Unwashed masses you say? I'll have you know I took a very long, very hot shower just last month.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:44pm

Dan wrote on Mar 8th, 2012 at 9:13am:
I don't really play video games. I can, but for one I don't own any kind of system and I'd rather do this stuff in reality (throwing tomahawks, Hand to hand, Primitive archery, free running, etc.). However this game seems pretty cool.
The coat actually seems to blend in on this one. And I am digging the bow and quiver even if they are on the wrong side.  Tongue

I aspire to do that stuff in real life, save for arboreal parkor (madness!), but even though I can’t play videogames to save my life I like some games, Assassin’s Creed among them, and I’m kinda psyched for this game.  And hey.  HEY.  Assassins can carry their quiver on whichever shoulder they want.  Grin As far as the hawk goes, I can’t imagine that it would be any good for wood, but for a war hawk maybe it would be lighter/cheaper?  Metal was expensive back then, but really I have no idea.  I am sure that it was just designed to look cool.  Make no mistake, there will be wannabees.

Ah, it’s alright, CA.  I know the wound still stings…  Tongue  Maybe we can talk it out over tea later, I promise not to throw mine in a harbor or anything.   Wink
I would actually be interested to see the US set up as the bad guys somewhere along the line.  After all, the Assassin in that trailer was half Mohawk.  God knows we were terrible to the Native Americans.  I’m hoping for an expansion pack in which we get to assassinate Andrew Jackson.  But sorry, friend, the British Empire was clearly controlled by Templars (the bad guys in the series).  

Great series, guys, loads of fun, but this is a sequel.  It may just be fun to run around killing people in colonial era America, but it you don’t at least read a plot summary of the previous games, you’re going to be lost.  You have been warned.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

CHowitzer

(miro con honda)

The Snowy Wastes
Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:37pm

I think I just shat a brick! This is really more like the 6th or 7th AC game, but I guess they're calling it "3" because it's finally a new timeframe and a new assassin for the first time since II.

The crazy thing is though I used to go on rants about how it would be cool for the next AC setting to be in revolutionary America or France during the enlightenment. So it's funny for me to see this now. WWII Europe would also be a very cool Assassin's Creed setting. Take notes, Ubisoft.

What old Archimedes actually said:&&"Give me a sling large enough and I can chuck the World!"&&&&His words. In perfect modern English, too!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 8:39am

A lot of the Medievil era hawks were made super thing for use of little metal with a wider cutting surface and for better cutting and speed. However in colonial america everything was made usefull for woods task. They woudn't have had a hawk just for war (espicialy a mohawk) that couldn't be used on wood. And taking out the center like they did would take an extreme amount of work from a black smithing perspective. Probably just designed to look cool as you said.

A Hawk like Benjamin Martin had in the Patriot would be a lot better all around, but a little less "assassin-ish". And historicaly, practicality hasn't really been their main concern because a medium sized fighting kinfe would probably work a lot better than the sleave knife things.

And next time I go to a boreal forrest I defeinitely have to try that. It's probably actually safer because you'd be landing on dirt instead of concrete. And my hands would be able to get a better grip when they are covered in pine sap.   Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner)