xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Wow.
Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:21pm

Wow.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EXTREME-Walking-How-To-Walk-Across-America/

I've heard of people who have done this many times, but each time I hear it it's no less amazing. I personally knew a few people who walked the Appalachians and the Rockies. Who knows, maybe one day I'll do it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Re: Wow.
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:13am

I wanna go by horseback from Mongolia to Hungary just like the Mongols did when they invaded Europe  Smiley,  but considering the risks of predation by wolves or by thieves and criminals I wouldnt do it,  just a dream I guess.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 6:51am

our very own lobohunter has done some serious walks - and far as I know, is planning more.

he did the pct (pacific coastal trail) a few years back. Took him some months. First time sasquatch were sighted in that region too  Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 6:57am

I know a local young man who walked around America. Did the AT, then hiked across the south, up the west, then along the Canadian border. Along the way, he made stops at youth groups and camps, giving motivational speeches. This was his teaching thesis. He called it GenerationTrex. Took him 2 years.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:50pm

How do people even do this from a financial point of view? I mean I guess there's a lot of people out there who are doing pretty well for themselves but I couldn't imagine having enough money to go walking around the continent for 2 years. Sounds like a dream come true.

I read an article once about a guy who goes backpacking for months at a time in the Rockies. That sounds like what I would want to do. Just set up camp near a river and live off the land for awhile.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 3:36pm

I would love to something like that.  Even at this age I walk twice a day, usually long walks of up to seven miles, with the Huskies, of course.  I think I could still do it but, as Morphy points out, there's the financial aspect.  The Appalachian Trail would be a cool walk to take.  I have walked part of the North Jersey section before.  It's very beautiful there.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.appalachiantrail.com/hiking_appal...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:32pm

Speaking of money...  I knew a guy once who had a trust fund where he would get $30,000 every month for the rest of his life... His Mom also apparently had some type of trust fund as well. He once told me that she had been a coke addict for years and never could use it all. Ah... life is cruel joke sometimes LOL...  Wink I would be happy with a log cabin by a lake.  Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 3:36pm:
I would love to something like that.  Even at this age I walk twice a day, usually long walks of up to seven miles, with the Huskies, of course.  I think I could still do it but, as Morphy points out, there's the financial aspect.  The Appalachian Trail would be a cool walk to take.  I have walked part of the North Jersey section before.  It's very beautiful there.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.appalachiantrail.com/hiking_appal...

That would definitely be something I'd want to do.

Morphy: the guy payed only 3,000 for 8 months of that. Not too bad if you've got the time lol. I guess if I saved up enough, with luck I'd be able to go on something like that before I'm 35. Hopefully still young enough to go tramping around mountains XD

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:27pm

His mom must have had one heck of a fund because it's very easy to blow at least thirty grand a month if you're a coke head.  It's not only a matter of what you do yourself, but there's always those who leach onto you.  Coke aint a cheap habit. 
   The cabin by the lake is my fantasy too.  Even if I had a billion dollars I wouldn't want more than that.  I'd want a little patch of land to farm and keeps some animals on, my log cabin with a huge fireplace, and I'm done.  The world wouldn't see me again.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:38pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:27pm:
 The world wouldn't see me again.
Yes! Exactly... Oh and of course If necessary I may have to buy several dump truck loads worth of smooth stones, but then that's it. I'm gone. Good bye cruel world. I'm going fishing.  Cool

Kid, that's actually a very reasonable price. I'm surprised. Of course for those of us with a family, career, mortgage etc... It's a bit more difficult but for a college age guy with none of those things? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

IP Logged

CHowitzer

(miro con honda)

The Snowy Wastes
Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:08am

Jabames wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:13am:
I wanna go by horseback from Mongolia to Hungary just like the Mongols did when they invaded Europe  Smiley,  but considering the risks of predation by wolves or by thieves and criminals I wouldnt do it,  just a dream I guess.

That sounds fun! Just take a sling or three with you.

What old Archimedes actually said:&&"Give me a sling large enough and I can chuck the World!"&&&&His words. In perfect modern English, too!

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:11am

mhmmmmm slings are manditory everywhere  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 6:53am

Morphy wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:50pm:
How do people even do this from a financial point of view? I mean I guess there's a lot of people out there who are doing pretty well for themselves but I couldn't imagine having enough money to go walking around the continent for 2 years. Sounds like a dream come true.

I read an article once about a guy who goes backpacking for months at a time in the Rockies. That sounds like what I would want to do. Just set up camp near a river and live off the land for awhile.

well according to lobohunter - since some one else has been running his blacksmithing business he's making more money than when he was running it Smiley
Nice situation to be in Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)