Send Topic Print
Bad Winter Forecast (Read 2638 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Bad Winter Forecast
Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:16am

I've known for a while now that I'd have to eat some crow.  Time to take my medicine.  I predicted very heavy snow and generally an extremely rugged winter this year in the northeastern portion of the United States.  It didn't happen.  In fact the exact opposite happened and we had one of our most mild winters in history.  I blew it.  For the past few weeks I've been hearing bird songs.. Spring bird songs that I shouldn't be hearing for a month and a half.  Today I saw Robins.  Rat Man can be wrong but Robins never are.  I expect to hear the Peepers (small night  peeping frogs that are another SURE sing of Spring) very soon.  A very early Spring  is upon us and for all intents and purposes we didn't have Winter this year. 
   This is unfortunate for at least one reason.  The ticks will be awful this Spring.  Our vet has told us that when the ticks are extremely abundant in the early Spring it's OK to apply the dogs flea and tick treatment (Advantix in our case) every three weeks instead of every month. 
    I like Winter, snow, the feel of icy cold on my skin, etc..  I'm sorry we had a fake Winter this year.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Bad Winter Forecast
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 12:31pm

Our winter usually consists of very heavy rains throughout most of the three month time period. We also missed it completely. I don't think we had a single rain the entire month of December, which is both unheard of and really bad for us since we grow a huge amount of food people eat across the country. FWIW though, you are not the only one who predicted a bad winter. I've heard it from several places.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:13pm

My prediction also failed. I thought it should be much snow and cold like last winter.
But we had almost no snow at all our new snowshovel was in use just one or two times.
I would say it was a very short, mild winter, if it was winter at all  Undecided

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 5:53pm

I wear sandals all year round.  I have to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes all year round.  One of my dogs jumped in the pool on Christmas day.  It doesn't really get that harsh here in the Winter...........................

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:30pm

Normal snowfall here in St. Louis is 25+ inches.  We got just over six.    The trees are budding and the early flowers blooming...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 9:52am

Crazy weather.. first record breaking snow one winter then shortly afterward record breaking mildness.  Global warming or not our weather is broken.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:19pm

Central/South East America was devastated with 14 tornadoes this week. The death toll rose from a few injured to around 45 yesterday. RIP.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 5:53pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:16am:
I predicted very heavy snow and generally an extremely rugged winter this year in the northeastern portion of the United States.  It didn't happen.

Me too.  I lose.  The curious thing is that I based my prediction on how thick my dog's winter coat was, and he usualy starts shedding as soon as it gets warm, whenever it gets warm, but he hasn't started shedding yet.  'Sup wit dat?

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 2:20pm

We didn't get much of a winter here either. We also had a record breaking summer heat with I think 70 some odd days over 100, and drought. Rivers here are way low, crops are suffering, and I am not looking forward to having another summer like the last.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 3:43pm

Droughts are the pits.  Some people complain when it rain a lot, but I almost never do.  Rain is life, unless it's extreme amounts.  Droughts are ugly.

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:34pm

You should have gotten a load of the swarm of tornadoes that came through here last Friday. Fortunately for me, we missed getting hit, but I saw debris falling out of the sky that must have been picked up somewhere southwest of here. Spring is in the air!!!

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 6:15pm

As I type this I am sitting in Delaware over near the coast and it is snowing. Temp is about 33 degrees farenheit. Two days ago it was 60 degrees Farenheit here. I don't know how to dress anymore. Shorts and sandals or boots and parka? Undecided

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 8:39am

kentuckythrower wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 4:34pm:
You should have gotten a load of the swarm of tornadoes that came through here last Friday. Fortunately for me, we missed getting hit, but I saw debris falling out of the sky that must have been picked up somewhere southwest of here. Spring is in the air!!!

As I mentioned before, I was stationed at Ft. Campbell on the Kentucky/Tennessee border for seventeen months.  Though we were never directly hit by a tornado while I was there, they hit all around us, one as close as Hopkinsville, directly to our north in Kentucky.  That area has some of the wildest Spring weather one can imagine.  One day while I was doing a twelve hour gate guard shift I saw it go below freezing, snow, we had a thunderstorm with tornadoes nearby, we had hail, rain, and it was sunny and went up to eighty degrees.  Again, this was all in one twelve hour shift. 
   Anyway, you can keep your tornadoes, thank you.  We get very few of them here in New Jersey and that's fine by me.

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 2:47pm

Ha ha ha...the day after the tornadoes, we had about two inches of snow on the ground. Welcome to Kentucky!!!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 5:24pm

bigkahuna wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 6:15pm:
As I type this I am sitting in Delaware over near the coast and it is snowing. Temp is about 33 degrees farenheit. Two days ago it was 60 degrees Farenheit here. I don't know how to dress anymore. Shorts and sandals or boots and parka? Undecided

For me, 33 is still shorts and sandles weather.  Wink

We had a pretty great day today that ended with some clouds but I kind of live in a spot where I just catch the edge of the mountain weather and the edge of the shore weather, so it's usually pretty mild.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)