Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Archery in Disney movie (Read 8564 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Archery in Disney movie
Mar 1st, 2012 at 7:43pm

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Re: Archery in Disney movie
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 9:04pm

After seeing the archery in the trailer for the Hunger Games, it is good to see it done right.  (PIXAR is the best)

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 9:54pm

Eoraptor wrote on Mar 1st, 2012 at 9:04pm:
After seeing the archery in the trailer for the Hunger Games, it is good to see it done right.  (PIXAR is the best)

It's a shame that Disney has brought such a bad name towards movies. PIXAR is an exception and a great one at that. Its interesting because I had a discussion in class today, where we were talking about modern art. PIXAR was brought up since some people can consider it art in a movie form, since most of their movie's are great hits and usually have a deeper meaning than the average boy meets girl, girl hates bot, boy goes on quest, boy gets girl.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:29am

After seeing the archery in the trailer for the Hunger Games, it is good to see it done right.  (PIXAR is the best)

I read the whole triology in a little over a week and since then I can't wait untill the movie comes out.
Being a Bowyer and primitive archer I am really hoping the do a good job on the archery tackle and such in the movie.

I keep thinking though what a great advantage it would be if you could make a sling and use it in the hunger games, you would probably survive for awhile.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:36pm

xxkid123 wrote on Mar 1st, 2012 at 9:54pm:

It's a shame that Disney has brought such a bad name towards movies. PIXAR is an exception and a great one at that. Its interesting because I had a discussion in class today, where we were talking about modern art. PIXAR was brought up since some people can consider it art in a movie form, since most of their movie's are great hits and usually have a deeper meaning than the average boy meets girl, girl hates bot, boy goes on quest, boy gets girl.

Disney has brought such a bad name towards movies?  What on earth could that mean?  Disney has, since long before I was born, created MANY timeless animated masterpieces.  Just off the top of my head, Snow White, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, etc., etc., etc.  Better yet, check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_theatrical_animated_features
Your statement leaves me flabbergasted.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:14pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:36pm:

Disney has brought such a bad name towards movies?  What on earth could that mean?  Disney has, since long before I was born, created MANY timeless animated masterpieces.  Just off the top of my head, Snow White, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, etc., etc., etc.  Better yet, check this out:

If it happened in the 20th Century it didn't really happen for a lot of people.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:03pm

I was lucky enough to have been a kid/teen when "A Little Mermaid", "Beauty and the Beast" , "Aladdin" , and "The Lion King" all came out in fairly short succession. I've always considered that group of movies to be one of the great peaks in Disney's existence. My Grandfather also had a huge movie collection and animated movies like "Robin Hood" and "The Sword in the Stone" were favorites of mine.

I have to agree with Thom. I think he has a good point.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:40pm

I agree that Disney has many great masterpieces. Unfortunately, the majority of the movies I grew up watching on standard Disney Channel were pure crap. High School Musical comes out pretty high up there, but there are tons more movies. I personally felt that lots of Disney movies ruined many fables and morals, and changed it into a boy meets girl, boy gets girl, lives happily ever after.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 11:02am

Ah youth how certain it is that nothing important happened before it was born Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 3:04pm

Rat Man wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 1:36pm:

Disney has brought such a bad name towards movies?  What on earth could that mean?  Disney has, since long before I was born, created MANY timeless animated masterpieces.  Just off the top of my head, Snow White, Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, The Jungle Book, Peter Pan, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, etc., etc., etc.  Better yet, check this out:

They did have some good ones back in the day (I still love them, see Mulan and The Rescuers Down Under), but I don't trust any of their animated movies anymore and they very nearly cut PIXAR's legs out from under them, so I have a bit of a thing against the modern Disney.  If John Carter sucks, I'm going to be unhappy.

Dan wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:29am:
I read the whole triology in a little over a week and since then I can't wait untill the movie comes out.
Being a Bowyer and primitive archer I am really hoping the do a good job on the archery tackle and such in the movie.

Me too!  The movie doesn't look bad at the moment, but I don't want to get my hopes up.  I teach classes in 'primitive skills', one day I was teaching a mother and her two daughters how to make cordage.  The girls were so excited, they kept saying 'We are just like Katniss!'.  When they left, I said goodbye to them and tagged 'may the odds be ever in your favor' on the end.  You should have seen their eyes.   Grin

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 4:27pm

That's cool. Heck, who knows, maybe the movie and book series will get more people interested in primitive skills and traditional archery.
Not sure if you've seen these but these guys do some pretty good fan videos with professional gear and stuff. This one is kinda like the review of Haymitch in the second quater quell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUjssn86h4&feature=plcp&context=C397ab95UDOEgsTo...

Oh and as far as hollywood goes I rarely have high expectations for any kind of speciality area like archery, Hand to hand, or tactical shooting. And when it exceeds those low expectations I am usualy quite satisfied and if it doesn't exceed them I just laugh about them later on and I still enjoy the moive.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 11:35pm

Basically almost everything after Walt died was junk... I am a big fan of the early disney films though, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, the Fox and the Hound etc. etc.  didn't like sleeping beauty though.  I did love the Lion King though that came later.  Right now they are moving away from kids movies and focusing on tween-teen movies.  I don't think it is right at all that Disney is making John Carter, why they heck would they make that?  That needs to be done by Peter Jackson.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:22am

LukeWebb wrote on Mar 3rd, 2012 at 11:35pm:
 Basically almost everything after Walt died was junk... I am a big fan of the early disney films though, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, the Fox and the Hound etc. etc.  didn't like sleeping beauty though.  I did love the Lion King though that came later.  Right now they are moving away from kids movies and focusing on tween-teen movies.  I don't think it is right at all that Disney is making John Carter, why they heck would they make that?  That needs to be done by Peter Jackson.

Beauty and the Beast was made well after Walt's death.  In fact, it was the first full length animated movie Disney Studios made after Walt's death.  It sort of said, "Were back."  I can appreciate that many of Disney Studios best productions were in the Twentieth Century and most were when Walt was alive, but... these movies are still around for everyone to enjoy.  My daughter Kate's first movie, at two, was Pinocchio, a relatively ancient Disney movie.  One of the first CD movies she owned was Peter Pan, which she played in its entirety three times a day and which she had completely memorized.  The Sing Along tapes are still a great way to help educate preschoolers.  When one speaks or writes of Disney and Disney Studios I think of the whole package, not just what's been done recently.  Walt Disney was a genius and an innovator.  His work will stand forever as a standard of excellence.  Sorry for preaching, but Disney is something near and dear to me.  I grew up with Disney as did Kate, and if I have anything to say about it, so will Kate's kids.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 1:11pm

Notice, from the article the phrase about...

"the actual mistakes that beginners and self-taught archers make."

We're all self-taught slingers, no ?-- except for those who do this in traditionally slinging societies (Baleares, Peru). I make so bold as to refer to the thread on the need for coaching:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1317669594

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 12:16am

Ahhh. Good old hunger games. It was painful to wait for mockingjay to come out. I regularly read them. It is the only series i have read more(13 times) than Harry potter(11 times) and eragon(9 times)

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)