Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cuchulain movie in the works! (Read 2076 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Cuchulain movie in the works!
Feb 23rd, 2012 at 3:55am

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/michael-fassbender-irish-myths-nadam.php

I will try and contact them about slinging, there is loads of sling action in the original stories.

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Re: Cuchulain movie in the works!
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 4:46am

Interesting. The myths from the Ulster Cycle are epic but bloody.

Even with Fassbinder on board, I am sceptical. It's either going to be a marvel-type production made palatable for the US audience or a Roar-type/Xena production. Either will probably be cringeworthy with the standard fare of "top of the mornin ta ya" stage irish accents, paddywhackery and other tired "oirish" memes, as usual.

I'd get Mel to make it. It would be vicious and bloody, no holds barred, probably would feature swords, the Gae Bulga, chariots, slinging, beheading, warp spasms, magic, druids, woman warriors and all done in Old Irish.

Good luck with the slinging suggestions though. Nice you're taking the effort.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:11am

Oh for CGI Cuchulain effects ! (pillars of smoke from head, one eye huge one eye small, etc).

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:29am

Umm. Sorry if my last post came off as overly cynical.  Embarrassed
It's just that most of the previous attempts in Hollywood to deal with anything involving Ireland and the irish have been terrible. This stuff is an important part of my culture and identity and I'd almost prefer if it was left alone than end up yet another parody on film. The Cycles are full of detail and it would indeed be an epic task to transfer it properly to film. If you want to see "Clash of the Titans", that's fine, but if you read the actual Greek myths, they are a lot more interesting and awe-inspiring.

Same with the Hound, if you want to get the full story read "Gods and Fighting Men" and "Cuchulainn of Muirthemne", by Lady Augusta Gregory. Or "On Raven's Wing"by Morgan Llewelyn. The latter is a good synopsis and a well written story IMO.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 7:05am

sling extra in film - now that would be seriously cool.
Hell, I look awesome in a kilt Smiley
(it's the legs you know)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 7:36am

Grin

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:38pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 7:05am:
sling extra in film - now that would be seriously cool.
Hell, I look awesome in a kilt Smiley
(it's the legs you know)

WEAR THE HELMET!!!!!!!! Grin Grin GrinROFL

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 8:46pm

snowcelt wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012 at 5:29am:
Umm. Sorry if my last post came off as overly cynical.  Embarrassed
It's just that most of the previous attempts in Hollywood to deal with anything involving Ireland and the irish have been terrible. This stuff is an important part of my culture and identity and I'd almost prefer if it was left alone than end up yet another parody on film. The Cycles are full of detail and it would indeed be an epic task to transfer it properly to film. If you want to see "Clash of the Titans", that's fine, but if you read the actual Greek myths, they are a lot more interesting and awe-inspiring.

Same with the Hound, if you want to get the full story read "Gods and Fighting Men" and "Cuchulainn of Muirthemne", by Lady Augusta Gregory. Or "On Raven's Wing"by Morgan Llewelyn. The latter is a good synopsis and a well written story IMO.

There's a Penguin of Irish sagas which I read as a teenager.

Jeffrey Gantz, Early Irish Myths and Sagas (1981)

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 9:36am

This'll be an action packed movie if they can pull it off.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:39pm

Wow.  I hate to get my hopes up but... this looks like it is going to be good.  I do hope they put slinging in it, Cuchulain was one of the reasons why I started slinging.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 5:02pm

Personally, I would rather have a movie about Brian Boru. He was a real person, who lived in the 10th-11th cent. He waged a lifelong war against the Vikngs, eventually uniting many of the areas of Ireland and becoming Ard Ri, the High King.
He was killed in 1014 at age 70, on the Battlefield of Clontarf'
Yes, he respected slingers. He learned early in life that slingers in battle are a force to be reckoned with.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)