Send Topic Print
money and lathes (Read 1189 times)
paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
money and lathes
Feb 22nd, 2012 at 10:28pm

I need money for a chuck for.my old delta-milwaukee lathe. Any suggestions, tips for the money, or turning in general?

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: money and lathes
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:34pm

Money- save. I don't mean like counting pennies, I mean not spending anything at all. It's funny how quickly you can get money that way. Otherwise work for your parent's friends or something. If you live in a place that snows, go and shovel for 20 dollars an hour. Do random jobs. I find that lemonade stands and door to door doesn't work that well, but it really depends on your neighbors.

I don't know jack about lathes, other than don't stick your finger in one. I recall some tidbit that C_A has some lathe-ing experience.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 7:29am

chucks are the second most expensive item in wood turning. The lathe being the most expensive.
So it's not worth skimping on a chuck.
A good chuck will save you from almost certain injury. Anyone who's seen a heavy piece of wood escape from a chuck at 1500 rpm to richochet around a small shed - will agree Smiley
Woodturning is not for people with slow reactions Smiley

The better made the chuck the less risk you take in poking a sharp piece of metal into an irregularly shaped hunk of wood spinning at over 1000 rpm
trust me - bowl turning is not for the faint of heart.

I spent a long time looking round at the different models before I bought the one I have. It's got special shaped jaws so will grip unusual shaped better than other chucks.

What I would suggest you do is find out and contact any local turning groups. These are generally made up of retired gentleman who die regularly. So any second hand turning kit tends to get offered to the group first (sounds callous - but isn't lol)
My first batch of wood turning blanks came from the workshop of a recently passed turner.

this is the chuck I have - actually made in canada, I'd forgotten that.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/onwytlonrvu.html

Cost me about £130 around 11 years ago. Just glad I'm not trying to buy one today !
I only have the standard jaws it came with - never needed any other size.
Just looked at the prices on the oneway site - can you believe that 11 years later they are THE SAME PRICE !
Amazing.

But like I say, contact your local wood turning group, they're always looking for new members and they'll know where the best place to get a chuck is and bear you in mind if one of them kicks the bucket. Seriously this is not callous. I also have a box of chisels from another deceased turner. Mostly for spindle turning - but a couple of useful chisels among them.
Woodturners like their kit to go to someone who will appreciate it, so don't be afraid to broach the subject of deceased turners kit. Obviously be a bit subtle about it Smiley  

Far as raising money goes, you could try selling some slings in our excellent market place Smiley
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?board=Mall

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 12:34pm

The best way to make some real, quick money is to do yard work for your neighbors.  As kid suggests, shoveling snow, though back breaking work, is an excellent way to earn some quick cash.  If you're a good, strong shoveler you can make a hundred bucks a day.  You best bet for customers are your older neighbors.  Old people always need something done that they don't want to or can't do themselves.  Saving every penny, also as kid suggets, is a great strategy too.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:02am

$100 a day - damn, where's the freak snowstorms when you need them Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)