Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Tito has fought for his life! (and won) (Read 8519 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Tito has fought for his life! (and won)
Feb 21st, 2012 at 5:36am

Hallo people,
last night at 3 am my dog begun to cry, something he has never done in 14 years of life. We have calmed him and then I tried to walk him out, but he walked with great pain and arching his back.
I then bring him home again (lifting him on my arms for 80 stairs, he couldn't walk!) and put him down on his bed. He was more calm now but was not responsive and did not react to any stimulus, he just drank some water.
At 9.30 am we took him to the vet, and with X-rays he saw that Tito's belly was full of gases and pee. He had a flu and was dehydrated too, and he probably got intoxicated by something he eat outside.
They gave him 6 medicines and me and mom left, because the dog was stunned. At 12.30 they called us and we went back: Tito was not reacting to the medicines and they told us that operate on him in these conditions would have been like operating on a dead dog. They asked us the permission to kill him, should the surgery went bad.
They then left us with the dog and we waited for hours, until at 2 pm Tito begun to react to our stymuli: he opened his eyes, looked at us, his belly deflated and his tongue went back in its place; his legs stopped shacking. He also "talked" with me: if I talk to him with a certain tone, he try to imitate it.
It has always been very funny to do so, but when we did that yesterday, it was a true relief.
Since Tito reacted so well, vets decided to operate him.
It took from 4 to 5.15 pm, and then they told us that everything went well. They washed his stomach and it begun to work again. Plus they told us that the dog has absolutely no tumors or other diseases. The only strange thing was that his pancreas was a little bigger than usual, but this could be due to the operation and, in any case, it was not in the malignant way.
But they told us the dog is so old that the prognosis is reserved. A younger dog would react to the operation quite well; we'll have to wait 3 days to be sure that my Tito is doing so. They prohibited us to see him, because he may be depressed when we leave him.
I'm sure he'll react well: he's strong and stubborn, and the fact that he grew old without any typical disease demonstrate it (well... not scientifically, but I like to think so). But I miss him a lot and have also cried warm tears.

EDIT: while I was writing, vets called: Tito has made a mess during the night, owling and crying because he missed us. Plus he tried to bite vets 2 times in the morning (and it's just 11 am now, so the morning is still long). All this is typical of the Tito I knew. In fact, vets assured us that he's reacting well, like a younger dog.
Sorry for the Gallicism, but... Tito got balls  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2012 at 5:51pm by Mauro Fiorentini »  

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Re: Tito is fighting for his life!
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 5:55am

It's very distressing when a pet is sick like this. The feeling of helplessness is awful especially as they are not just a pet but part of the family. Sounds like Tito is pretty tough and is recovering well. As you wrote though, he is old and won't last forever. I hope you get the chance to take him home and enjoy some more time with him.

Best wishes.

Kevin.

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 6:31am

Thanks Kevin... to tell the truth, all I want now is to pass some more months/years with him.
And all I wish him is to die without pain; what I desire is that I'll be able to do something to accompany him in the other world when he'll have to: embrace him, talking to him.
In this case, I feel impotent, and I hate that  Angry
Many thanks again,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 11:09am

We just called the vets: Tito destroyed 4 plastic cannulae, growls when they close his cage and refuses of lying anymore. They say that he does not feel the pain, thanks to sedatives. If my dog is so lively under sedatives, I bet he can handle this hospitalization well.  Smiley
And I'm happy because vets gave us permission to see him, and we're going to do so in an hour or so!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 11:46am

That's great to hear Mauro! Keep us updated. Give him a treat for us when you see him again.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 12:01pm

I hope Tito gets better quickly.  When one has a sick pet, it is like having a sick child.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 2:26pm

Hope he`s getting better soon.  He appear to be a dog that will not give up until his time really comes.
timann

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 2:35pm

Hey, good luck man. A dog forms a different bond then friend of family.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 2:56pm

St. Roch pray for Tito and Mauro.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 7:10pm

And many thanks to you all guys!
I knew this was a great community, and you confirm my conviction now more than ever.
I spent an hour with my dog, who was very happy when he saw us. Altough he didn't suddenly realize that it was us, after a few moments he tried to stand up and you could have seen pure joy in his eyes.
I helped him to wake up and we went out for a walk. It lasted half an hour, because he walked very slowly, noticeably limping. But he still has a flu, and he passed the last 40 hours outstretched (not to mention he had an operation just yesterday), and so I think his walking was good after all.
Most important, vet told us that his pancreas was good, and his health is not in danger.
He also ate an entire box of dog's food, and it was a relief too.
There's just one thing that I did not like: vets had to put a special collar, so that Tito will not be able to bite them again. I didn't like it, but obviously I understand and accept it - a man's finger is more important than a dog's nuisance, and it's just for one night.
I'm going to call vets next morning, to know how my dog has passed the night.
I really hope he didn't suffer too much for the fact that we left him there  Embarrassed
Greetings, and many thanks again friends!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 9:36am

As you know, I just went through something similar to this with Kali.  Operating on her would have been difficult because she already had such an operation about six years ago.  Kali recovered.  Tito will also.
   Best wishes, Mauro.  It's tough when your best friend is in danger.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2012 at 3:07pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 9:56am

Mauro,  Sounds like he'll pull through.  Forwarding this image of St. Francic of Assissi, Patron Saint of animals.

images.jpg (4 KB | )
images.jpg

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 2:16pm

Hallo people!
I've seen my dog twice today, from 12 am to 1 pm and from 6 pm to 7 pm.
It's 8 pm now and I just feel so happy! Tito walked for almost 2 hours, slowly but stubbornly he walked about a mile and a half. His front right leg is causing some nuisance because he has plastic pipes strung in his veins there, but he bear it with patience. He kissed both me and mom and that was quite emotional!
Vets said that he could come back home on Friday (they previously said late Saturday), because he's recovering well and they believe he'll do better at home. Obviously we'll have to pursue a therapy to avoid this disease, but that seems to be all.
I look forward to walk him out again in the comforting calm of my neighborhood!

Fletch_man, thanks for the image of St. Francis: I visited both his house and the very first church he restored. There's a hole and if you drop a coin there, you'll never hear it touching the ground. Christians believe it's a sign of the Saint's power. To tell the truth, I'm not Christian, but have studied St. Francis's life very well, and he's one of the men I admire most! He also took a ship from my town and went talking to a Muslim's caliph to avoid another crusade, and he managed to. A real man indeed.
On a side, there's another Christian Saint who's dedicated to domestic animals: Saint Antonio Abate, who's celebrated the 17th of January. His story is interesting too, and was quite similar to St. Francis's, even if St. Antonio's fault was (in my personal opinion) to fight against Arianism. But I invite you to look for him because his biography, and hagiography in general, is really interesting and can be a source of information to acquire some ancient skills  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 3:13pm

That is excellent news.  A little prayer and belief in a higher power can go a long way no matter what your belief structure.  Sounds like Tito is not quite ready for the big kennel in the sky.  Please keep us posted on his recovery.

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 9:50pm

Hi Mauro. You sure had us worried there for a while, but it seems all is working out well. I am very glad for you and Tito. Nice Dog.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris)