Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doggy photos (Read 1344 times)
HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Doggy photos
Feb 16th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Last Sunday our club, the Los Angeles branch of Akitainu Hozonkai, held our annual show, the first one in a few years that was officially sanctioned by Headquarters, so we had a judge from Japan. Here are some photos I took:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0603/CptnCnn/Akiho%20LA%202012%20Branch%20Show...

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Re: Doggy photos
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 12:05am

nice dogs!

Did you also had a dog that took part? How did it go?

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 6:52am

so are they a kinda akita, shiba inu cross ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #3 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 11:43am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 17th, 2012 at 6:52am:
so are they a kinda akita, shiba inu cross ?

No, this is the Akita that is currently bred in Japan. There is a bigger dog, now called the American Akita, that is more common in the English-speaking countries. The American-style dogs retain a lot of non-Japanese features that came from mixing in foreign breeds with the native hunting dog to produce fighting dogs. The Japanese were in the process of "purifying" when WWII intervened, and postwar they took to selling the culls to Americans. Breed standards are quite different in some respects, especially coat colors, and actual features are also different, especially body proportions, muzzle shape, eyes, etc. In 1973 the Akita Club of America closed its stud book, so the American Akitas are all descended from those big dogs with Mastiff muzzles, Saint Bernard color schemes, German Shepherd ears, all those features. The FCI (international dog federation) recognizes the two breeds as separate.

A Shiba is about the size (not shape) of a 2 or 3 month old Akita, so it woud be a bit hard to cross them.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 3:37pm

Beautiful dogs, Thom.  Thanks for posting this.  The Japanese Akitas resemble Huskies more than the American ones do, I guess because they're smaller.  American Akitas can be down right huge.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 6:14pm

Huge? The Japanese standard calls for 45 Kg, about 100 pounds, though they seldom get that big. usually 85 or so. Breeders of the American style advertise 130 to 150 pounds sometimes, so yeah, huge. That's the males.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 8:42am

One of the biggest dogs I ever saw was a snow white Akita at one of my cable customer's homes.  He must have been a freakishly big one, as Odin is an unusually large Husky.  This guy had paws like saucers.  He was a real beauty!  He had to be near 200 lbs.  I wish I had a picture of him.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 11:43am

200 pounds?  Shocked I'm not sure an Akita's bone structure would hold up under that for long. Too much weight contributes to non-genetic hip displasia, a problem with big Akitas.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2012 at 4:08pm

Yes, I was very surprised too.  I don't know what kind of long term problems he had.  Most really big dogs don't last that long, as you're well aware.  I only saw him the one time.  He sure was a beauty.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)