Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
What Historical Event Would You Change? (Read 12461 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
What Historical Event Would You Change?
Feb 7th, 2012 at 5:56pm

If you could go back in time and change just one event to alter the course of history what would it be?    Please keep it respectful.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: What Historical Event Would You Change?
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:13pm

I might think of a better one later but for me, off the top of my head, I'd somehow stop the assassination of Bobby Kennedy.  He was a brilliant, progressive leader and was on a sure course to the presidency.  I believe that America and the Free World lost one of their greatest leaders,  snuffed out before he ever really got started.  There are many conspiracy theories.  I really have no firm idea as to who is responsible.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:17pm

With all due respect, I'd stop Cristoforo Colombo's trip of 1492.
I'm absolutely not being polemical or sarcastic; I just wonder what would happen if nobody in Europe had discovered America (yes yes, I know Jarl's son already went to Vinland in the Xth Century, that Phoenicians are said to have been in South America 1000 years before Christ, and that some Spanish probably went there at the end of the Paleolithic. Don't take it too seriously  Smiley ).
Perhaps I'd still see Mother Earth as a flat square  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:52pm

I wouldn't change anything. Not even the holocaust. Every event that has happened has shaped the world we live in today, and I like that world. If it comes at the price of genocide, war, tyranny; If it is because I am a coward of what I don't know what a new reality would be like, then so be it. No offense to people who could think of millions of things to change.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 6:55pm

Often I'll look at a place like Philadelphia from one of the bridges or from a plane and wonder what it must have looked like six hundred years ago, before Western man ever set foot there.  It must have been heaven on earth.  Fresh, clean water coming down the Delaware River, whales, dolphin, geese in numbers that blotted out the sun, old growth forests with trees hundreds of feet tall.. paradise.  Yes, let's make a new history where America is never spoiled and the only Western people that ever see it are the members of slinging.org.  I believe that we would never crap it up.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 7:38pm

IF the great omniscient ones here before we euro-types spoiled Eden were so profoundly good to the earth ....
Ask the Anasazi what happened to the forests surrounding their kivas ... oh oops I cant find the forests or  Anasazi
to pose the question to...    Where are the forests of Easter Island ..... oops used them up before euro-trash arrived ....
Don't even pretend ... our predecessors in the US and elsewhere in the world were good stewards .... cause I ain' buying it.

People always seem to fowl  their own nests ...no mater who they are.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 9:50pm

I'd go back, very early, and prevent the extinction of certain large mammals. I'm not sure which, yet, but odds are at least one animal was hunted to extinction that could have been domesticated and seen use, and that that didn't happen in many places has had a lot of effects. It led to power differences that led to militaristic colonialism, it led to delayed technological development which is a significant factor in the huge wealth imbalances in the modern world (see: international access to safe water, where some people completely lack it), as well as likely preventing current technology from being far ahead of what it is. Granted, it was only one of the factors in early development, but it was certainly significant, and undoing it would undo a lot of harm that came from it.

Oh, and as for Mauro's example: This wouldn't stop someone like Columbus from coming to the Americas*. It would stop them from having a ridiculous edge in technology (and, for that matter, germs) and as such would prevent them from being able to do what Columbus, and later people like Cortez and Pizzaro did.

*All that takes is one moron who manages to massively screw up the calculations for the circumference of the Earth, ignore numerous people pointing out that their numbers are wrong, and find a backer who also doesn't realize how bad his calculations are and sends him off with half the supplies necessary to actually reach the known land mass. For them to be like Columbus, they also have to be as morally bankrupt as they are stupid, but given that a huge amount of arrogance is basically known, that isn't likely to be an issue.

IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 1:48am

Did you ever see that episode of the Simpsons were Homer gets a time machine and goes back in time to generaly mess everything up?

No matter what single event you change there are too many different factors involved in day to day events on this planet to predict any certain outcome.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 2:23am

Uncle Brian wrote on Feb 8th, 2012 at 1:48am:
Did you ever see that episode of the Simpsons were Homer gets a time machine and goes back in time to generaly mess everything up?

No matter what single event you change there are too many different factors involved in day to day events on this planet to predict any certain outcome.

You can't make exact predictions, but we can point to broad historical trends, and make very broad predictions as a result. For instance - say, hypothetically, I were to somehow fill in the Mediterranean sea with land, prior to the emergence of agrarian societies. I can't predict exactly what that will do, but can predict increased early trade between what is now Southern Europe and what is now Africa, and can predict decreased naval development in Europe due to the sudden lack of coastline. Moreover, I could state with some certainty that we would not see the bands of cities on the coast if there was no coast, and instead that cities would be more distributed throughout the entire area.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 4:43am

Steven wrote on Feb 7th, 2012 at 7:38pm:
IF the great omniscient ones here before we euro-types spoiled Eden were so profoundly good to the earth ....
Ask the Anasazi what happened to the forests surrounding their kivas ... oh oops I cant find the forests or  Anasazi
to pose the question to...    Where are the forests of Easter Island ..... oops used them up before euro-trash arrived ....
Don't even pretend ... our predecessors in the US and elsewhere in the world were good stewards .... cause I ain' buying it.

People always seem to fowl  their own nests ...no mater who they are.

You're entitled to your opinion, Steven, but I couldn't disagree more.  The Native Americans were excellent stewards of the land.  The original settlers did find an Eden here. That's a fact.  The entire Delaware Valley was once a heaven on earth.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 8:15am

Plus, tribes living in Amazon forest are living in their Eden - they've done it for centuries and are in perfect harmony with their land.
But somebody needs wood and land and is causing these tribes's extinction right now!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 12:41pm

I'd probably change somthing about the Civil War, not the abolishment of slavery, that was good, but the I would rather not have it done the way it was. I would also have prefered if the sportsmen of the earlier centuries were a little more selective leaving more bison and deer and leaving things a little more like they were. Everything was ment to happen as it did whether or not any of us see it that way really has no effect on how it should have happened.
I have no problem with them logging anywhere these days: 1 trees grow back. and 2 young forrest support more small plants and actually can hold more wild life, 3 large trees will die on their own at sometime anyway the forrest ususaly goers through the same process on it's own over a couple hundred years we just shortened it to around 80 years.
Believe it or not, sometimes the media actualy portrays a story to be more dramatic and more catastrophic than it really is to put forth a certain view. This is espicialy true with the process of industrial forrest stuff, so make sure you don't always follow blindly and use your common sence. The loggers here usualy just cut small parts at a time and in 10-20 years, besides a few stumps, you can't even tell it was logged. And in the meantime it's just some smaller trees, many of the larger trees the left, and brush. A lot of land is like that, even if it hasn't been logged.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 12:45pm

I think the Holocaust made Israel stronger,  today they have a badarse special ops called "Shayetet 13" their motto is "Never Again"  referring to the Holocaust.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 3:43pm

Dan, we do need wood and wood products. There's no denying that.  Logging can be done in two ways.  One is sustainable, one isn't.  Clear cutting destroys.  I'm not against logging as long as it's done intelligently and with preservation of wild places in mind.  A lot of the time it's not.  Little, you sort of have a point but that's a small silver lining around a lot of major misery.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 3:53pm

I propose Rat Man as the wiser slinger on this forum (well, wiser than me, that is  Cheesy ).
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark)