Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How would you descend into a dungeon? (Read 6123 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
How would you descend into a dungeon?
Feb 5th, 2012 at 6:57pm

Hallo there fellow slingers!
It's been some time since good Rat Man submitted us one of his typical topics on particular diets and other "what if" contexts, so it's my turn now!
The question is: how would you descend into a dungeon?
Think that as a cave with steep, slippery rocky floor, made of narrow passages, very few big chambers and frequent niches, where armies of zombies, skeletons, giant rats, bats and assassine blobs are guarding a fabulous treasure.
It's what myths are made of: will you emerge out of the dungeon rich and famous, or will you be just another dead adventurer??

Me, I'd descend equipped as follows:
- a sleveless, knee long cotton tunic;
- leather shoes with short nails in the soles to grant a certain grip;
- a leather cap;
- a cuirass made of leather hardened with beewax;
- a wooden shield big enough to cover me from neck to knee;
- a sword or a pickaxe? Don't know, because the sword is not of excellent quality, and the blade tends to blend with heavy strikes. Plus it's long, and it can be unmanoeuverable in narrow passages. On the other hand, it's unbalanced, with its heavy grip, and this would help piercing. A sword would be effective against zombies, bats and rats, less against blobs and skeletons. The pickaxe has a wooden haft, a steel hammer on one side and a pointed edge on the other. It would work well with almost every enemy, but has the big disavantage that it needs a lot of free space to strike devasting blows. Plus its wooden haft, even if made of strong wood, may break or be weakened by humidity.

What about you?
What would be your equipment??
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: How would you descend into a dungeon?
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:18pm

Has somebody been playing too many games?  Roll Eyes

I would descend with a warmage with me. I'd be armed with a spear and a short sword/machete/long dagger. I want a nice buckler with a steel rim and a strong bolster. A viking helmet would suffice- simple metal cap with decently sized eye holes and a nose guard. Well made boots with a strong sole, treated with wax for waterproof-ness. For armor i'd go with a hardened leather vest.

The spear might break and it might get stuck in either enemies or tight spaces, whichever comes first. The short sword or dagger is for when enemies come too close or when my spear breaks. The warmage hopefully can detect when enemies are nearby, provide a magical shield, and cast spells, assuming enemies aren't magic resistant. A leather vest would be as light as decently protective armor goes, without making too much noise like a hauberk would. The viking helm (not the horns crap) would be like your leather cap- fairly small yet decently protective. The buckler is pretty self explanatory.

Do I get mana and health potions?  Grin Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 7:30pm

Nope, we have our Elven cleric, he'll take care of you  Grin

The fact is, that I begin to have too much stuff at home. Now that I somehow managed to learn the basics of ironsmithing and working leather, therefore making more accurate stuff, my first attempts have become quite useless. I just wonder what I could do with them  Cheesy
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 8:51pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 6:57pm:
Think that as a cave with steep, slippery rocky floor, made of narrow passages, very few big chambers and frequent niches, where armies of zombies, skeletons, giant rats, bats and assassine blobs are guarding a fabulous treasure.

Flood it with diluted HCl. Mix in some NaOH. Drain it. Given that the hypothetical hordes of hostile lifeforms are likely all dead at this point (or, in the case of zombies and skeletons damaged until no longer functional by acid.). Enter as you would any other cave - ropes are a good idea, flashlights are a good idea, other people who know you are in the cave and are prepared to call for help if you don't come back due to being stuck are a good idea.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2012 at 1:24pm by Knaight »  

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 10:17pm

Bring rope then some extra rope. Same with light sources. Bring extra. You're in a cave. I would like a nice shield and an ax with an ice pick at the end of it's handle. An invisibility cloak might come in handy also mithral hauberk might be good also. A spangenhelm sounds like a good idea.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:03am

Knaight wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 8:51pm:

Flood it with diluted HCl. Mix in some NaOH. Drain it. Given that the hypothetical hordes of hostile lifeforms are likely all dead at this point (or, in the case of zombies and skeletons burnt off. enter as you would any other cave - ropes are a good idea, flashlights are a good idea, other people who know you are in the cave and are prepared to call for help if you don't come back due to being stuck are a good idea.

That's cheating! You could at least get a dragon to torch the place and then descend using rope made from unicorn hair! Plus everyone knows your rescue team should consist of at least a single hobbit, not just some random acquaintances!  Grin Cheesy Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 3:50am

To be truthful I don't think i would ever venture into one of those places without the Marine Corps in support.
If i had to and the Marines were busy doing something inportant i would be following you tough guys as I'm to old to play computer games and would get killed in an instant. I truely suck at Xbox and that playstation thing.
OUCH!

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 4:37am

Not, that´s how I would descend in this dungeon. Might be waiting in ambush for you to come back out though.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 6:13am

How do you get all the treasure out?? Gold weights about the same as lead, so you won't be loading up sacks of gold and running out.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 7:32am

Knaight wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 8:51pm:
Flood it with diluted HCl. Mix in some NaOH. Drain it.

I felt naked without an Alchemist  Grin

The gold will be carried out by enemies whose choice was simple: surrender to us and become our slaves or die... heros can't dirty their hands with vile money after all!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:18pm

How would you enter dungeon filled with living skeletons, zombies etc ?

Reluctantly  Grin

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:31pm

But there's a huge treasure of smoked ham down there!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:34pm

descend after a course of flash-bangs being served up.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 1:24pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Feb 6th, 2012 at 12:18pm:
How would you enter dungeon filled with living skeletons, zombies etc ?

Reluctantly  Grin

I'm going to assume this is addressed to me. As such, there are two words which are perfectly applicable: Proxy Adventurers. Get someone else to enter, after selling the information for a percentage of the treasure once they get out.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2012 at 2:58pm

As a cable technician I've crawled on my belly through many horrendous, dungeon-like crawl spaces, so this scenario isn't completely foreign to me.  
  I'd want a hard hat with a Petzl light attached.  An oxygen tank might be a good idea.  You have no idea what sort of atmosphere you'll encounter down there.  A very large crow bar would be handy, both as a weapon and for breaking into treasure chests and such.  A large spool of safety line is a must so I can find my way back out again.  A fat old 45 on my hip would be nice also.  Though its range and accuracy aren't the best, it has a lot of hitting power and in that situation, with limited vision and against supernatural creatures it's a weapon I'm comfortable with.
 I guess for clothes I'd wear big, heavy, waterproof leather boots, well oiled.  I guess I'd wear Carhartt rain gear, bibs and jacket.  They're very heavy and provide a lot of warmth as well as keeping you dry.  If it proves to warm in the dungeon for such gear I can just ditch them.  I'd wear normal, casual street clothes underneath.  I'd also take canteen of water and some trail mix and jerky so I don't have to be in a hurry to leave if I'm finding good treasure.  A K-mart plastic wheel barrow would be nice to have also.  It's light, but durable, being made of high impact plastic.  If it proves too cumbersome once I'm in the dungeon I can just ditch that also, though it could come in very handy.  Finally, I'd take a few quarter sticks of dynamite for blasting into things like vaults and chests and also as additional weaponry.  
  Good post, Mauro!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)