Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling mysteries (Read 11700 times)
Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Re: Sling mysteries
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:40pm

Besides leather slings, that seem the simplest solution for a simple strap sling, it is very possible that Balearics used vegetal fibers, horsehair and sinews, as mentions Strabo, forming also a braided unique strap, without split pouch. This design of a simple strap adapts well to throw big stones like Balearics did. The Romans also used this type of slings, that appear in the Trajan column.

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

paleryder
Descens

Le Roy, IL
Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:43pm

Definetly going to have to try this. Thanks.

Todd

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 2:25am

paleryder wrote on Feb 9th, 2012 at 2:15pm:
I think we've seen some sown pouches on this site. Has anyone done a three-part pouch with leather?

I'm going try and find a sufficiently long piece of leather to try a one-piece sling and see how that works. I'm very uncertain as to the quality and weight of leather to use. Braintanned? Bark-tanned? Veggie-tanned? Who know?. Not sure if I should just have the pouch part wider or attempt to form a pouch, or at least a depression of sorts, through softening and stretching.

Todd

I have some advice for you. Do not try to get a long piece of leather. I spent 40$ on a single piece of cow-hide... big mistake!
What you want to do is cut the laces in a sort of spiral pattern I made a one-piece leather sling at one point, from cow-leather. cery thick stuff, my cutting was crap. Anyway, i think I posted pics...
I also made a sorta diagram at one point.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 2:28am

Aw shoot, this was before Light gave me the camera... looks like I spend my time drawing tomm.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris)