Mini Staff-sling (Read 2628 times)
Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Mini Staff-sling
Feb 4th, 2012 at 1:24am

Came across this little gem when trawling for new slinging vids. These guys have made a mini staff-sling which differs from the normal type in that it is not self-releasing. This gives greater release control and allows a greater arc of travel for the windup. Note how the slinger holds the sling straight down his back as if it was a whip at the beginning. Very neat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=utYSsJAbXXc

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Mini Staff-sling
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:20am

Cool Aussi Cool Cool Shocked

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 9:28am

Usually the problem with mini-staff slings is mini-power.  Not so with this manifestation.  I'm very pleased to see something entirely new, at least to me.  Plus this model seems very easy to make.  You need a length of PVC, a drill, a sling, and a screw.  I'm going to have to try this.  I have to wonder how a full sized model using this same technology would work?

IP Logged

Timothy Potter

Idaho
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 3:39pm

That's really interesting; thanks for sharing it. I'll bet if you used a release like that with a fishing rod as a staff you'd have a very powerful staff sling.

-Timothy Potter

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:32pm

I've often considered that, Timothy, or at least a release something like that with a fishing rod.  With my version the string stays attached to the projectile as you release it.  I always imagined using a 14' UglyStick surf pole with a 4oz bank weight as your projectile... you'd probably sling to France.

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2012 at 6:04pm

Brilliant design!!! I think something like this would be a boon to folks who'd like to take up the sport, but are confined to a wheelchair. It's a simple design and appears to generate real power with practically no effort besides a normal throwing motion. Let's see if we can get the plans for one of these posted on this forum.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 9:50am

Rat Man wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 5:32pm:
you'd probably sling to France.

I don't have any problem to sling to France, even with Tennisball. Is it because I'm really good ? Cheesy

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 11:00am

Great video! A stick with a hole drilled through the end would be a more primitive solution. I did wonder if the Baton de Commandment was something like that although they are a lot shorter.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 9:17pm

I think I've seen somthing like thos before that was a litte more primitive more like an atlatl/swiss dart that threw rocks. Still tough to beat the original sling in performance though. Even with all of our modern knowledge of physics the hand sling is still really difficult to beat with any kind of hand thrown projectile.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2012 at 11:28pm

I like it, it looks like a flail but in the form of a ranged weapon. I would have never thought of that. just another thing I'll have to tinker with later I guess

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)