Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Antiquity of the Sling (Read 13137 times)
Atlatlista
Ex Member

Re: The Antiquity of the Sling
Reply #30 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 11:49pm

ArchaeoMan wrote on Feb 3rd, 2012 at 9:05pm:
 The earliest concrete evidence I know of is at Bagor, India where spherical pecked stones were interpreted as slingstones. The article only says that they were found in phases I and II of the site, which date from 5000-2800BC and 2800-600BC. Clay projectiles at Hamoukar - in modern-day Syria - date to around 3500BC.

That said, I agree that the technology would likely be around well before then, probably extending from the paleolithic.

Following up on that Indian sub-continent connection, there is a review article from 2004 in Evolutionary Anthropology volume 13 by Professor Emeritus Kenneth Kennedy of Cornell, in which he states that cave art from Bhimbetka in Madhya Pradesh illustrates the use of the sling.  These images are impossible to correlate to an exact date, as the site was used continuously for a very long stretch of time, but the Mesolithic burials at the site have been conclusively dated to 4480-3290 years BP.  The upper paleolithic layers have not yet been accurately dated.

This isn't as concrete as slingstones, of course, but the dates for the mesolithic burials certainly jive with the finds at Baghor.  Interestingly, mesolithic burials at Baghor II go back to 10,646 BP.  So, if there is cultural continuity within the mesolithic finds in the Baghor II site, it may indicate the presence of the sling within the culture for nearly double the period for which manufactured slingstones have yet been found.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:16am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #31 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 1:12am

We'll probably never know for sure, but what is knowing compared to dreaming? It's nice to think about the sling as one of the most ancient weapons and after so many years, from then until now we here in the modern world communicating to brothers across the globe and are faithfully holding onto this skill. It's very cool when you think about it, almost like the spirits of those before you are in each sling, in each throw, in each stone and in each conversation about how to make it better.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #32 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 7:16am

I agree. I'm a fan of stone age people and am convinced that the technology behind a sling is so simple that they could easily achieve it.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)