Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Sling Defence of Iron Age Hillforts (Read 48722 times)
kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Re: Sling Defence of Iron Age Hillforts
Reply #75 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 3:08pm

The profile of those works reminds me of the remnants of old field fortifications over here. The spoil from the ditch is thrown up to form the parapet and increase the overall height of the obstacle that has to be breached/crossed to gain entry into the fort.

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #76 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 10:43am

Thanks to C_A for a very useful visit to the two hillforts, Liddington Castle and Barbury Castle.

It has firmed up a number of aspects of how I plan to conduct the experiment, as well as teaching me quite a number of new things about slinging, and confirming some others.
I now have to write up my plan is considerable detail and get it approved, after which there will be a few trial runs and then I will be appealing for volunteer, so watch this space.

The picture shows C_A seeing off a couple of Apaches that came within slinging range of Barbury Castle. (More pictures to follow.)

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #77 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 11:52am

Go for them C_A!  Smiley

Hey Pete how is your thesis going? Many wishes of best luck!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #78 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 12:04pm

Hm: picture on my previous post didn't come out quite as intended . . . so I've tried putting a few photos and a couple of clips on YouTube. (First time I tried this, so fingers crossed.)
The links are below, or search for HillfortSlinging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSrL5aWyc8&feature=email
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_CZ5v-L3II&feature=email
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isH_DznT9ME&feature=email ;  

Pete

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #79 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:52pm

you're just not resizing the pics before posting.

this is a better size.

The videos work  Smiley
You just need to up the resolution of the final rendered video Smiley
640x480 or thereabouts works well for youtube.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #80 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:59pm

close up of the apaches.
Just couldn't get my camera out of the bag in time.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #81 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:07pm

Did you take a shot at them ? Hellfire vs slingstone !

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #82 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 12:01pm

I'm now working on the detailed plan for the experiment, with much useful input from C_A being incorporated. Looks like I will have to be thorough with the Safety Plan, to meet the university requirements (as well as good sense, of course). Watch this space.

Pete

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #83 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:41pm

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #84 - May 1st, 2012 at 7:46am

Just letting those of you who are interested know that just because this thread has gone quiet, it isn't dead. I've been working on my plan and a whole bunch of details (e.g. safety arrangements).

But the main activity is to find the best site for the trials. This needs to be both a suitable hillfort and to be one where I can get permission from all concerned, which is a bit complicated. I'm in communication with English Heritage, the National Trust, Hampshire County Council Archaeology Service and also Museums Service. I've also been to around 20 sites since the visit with C_A. I've also has a chance to revew my proposals with several eminent archeaologists.

The nett of all that is that I'm still working on it.

Pete

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #85 - May 1st, 2012 at 1:25pm

Good luck.  Really, you're going to need it.  I have been a participant in a couple of experimental archaeology deals, only one actually happened as it was planned and I am pretty sure that the director of the park didn't let his superiors know what, exactly, we were doing.  Which was cutting down a tree with a pecked and ground ax. Roll Eyes  No one involved thought it was a big deal but we weren't the ones making decisions.  So, again, good luck and take lots more pictures.

On another note, does anyone know how long it took to build one of those?  Were they built all at once or did they get added to over the years?  Were draft animals used?  What I have been able to find is nice but lacks a lot of detail, can you recommend something that deals with construction, water sources, sanitation and the like?

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #86 - May 1st, 2012 at 2:48pm

Eh I was thinking about this post today!
Glad you're still with us, and still working on it!
Best wishes!
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #87 - May 1st, 2012 at 3:00pm

Bill,
Try "Celtic Fortifications" by Ian Ralston (ISBN 0-7524-2500-5).
Many hillforts were in use for hundreds of years and had to be maintained, sometimes with significant changes and increases in size (of area and of ramparts). They appear to have been built in sections by "gangs" (maybe clans or families) and would have taken a major effort by the community. There's plenty about construction method in Ralston. Many in Britain don't have evident water supplies (on the continent, some have wells) so I imagine they sent the womenfolk down to the river with pots. I don't recall much about sanitation - other than middens of course, but that's a good question.
Pete

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #88 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:11am

I talk to people who do lots of work on pre Columbian sites.  They can talk for hours about the status symbols, pottery, ground stone axes and pipes, religion and all sorts of mystical things.  Then, when you ask them what was used as sanitation, you get a blank look.  They had to have a very efficent way to dispose of their wastes, there is no evidence of the types of plagues that you get if you don't.  And, the NA didn't have very much immunity to the dieases that Europeans pretty much shrugged off.  Could that be the reason that they were not continousely occupied?  They would "fort up" for periods of time, maybe up to a couple of months, then leave to let the place air out and the weather break down everything?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #89 - May 3rd, 2012 at 12:47pm

One thing pete.
You know I was wonderin about water supply during a siege.
Those big old depressions in the forts were dew ponds.

Captured water both from dew and rainfall. allowing the possibility of a siege. Been reading up on them - clever bits of kit.

Also don't forget that the inner rampart would have been fortified and on the later design I believe it said there were stone fortifications on the outer rampart as well.

Rendering attacking the fort pretty much suicide.

Unless you had sufficient force to attack the entire circumference at the same time - then the only way you'd realistically breach a hillfort would be either by stealth, treachery or a badly designed entranceway.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy)