Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Sling Defence of Iron Age Hillforts (Read 49110 times)
LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Re: Sling Defence of Iron Age Hillforts
Reply #105 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 1:14am

Why can cool stuff like this never happen in America?  Sad 
Make sure you guys take some good video and pics!

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #106 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 8:37am

Keep an eye out for the NE sling meet this year.  Smiley

I'm not entirely sure of the details, but it'll be awesome.  Cool

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #107 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 10:59am

I'll start a new thread for march - weekend definitely.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #108 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 12:57pm

Here's a Google Earth view. The Iron Age fort is the large, fairly rectangular set of ramparts on a contour close to the top of the flat hill. There's also a Roman fort, that you can see in the top left (north-west) corner of the IA one. The red line is the path from the car parking spot. The blue area is where the slinging will be.

HH_GE.jpg (104 KB | )
HH_GE.jpg

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #109 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 1:22pm

<Sigh> Someone please tell me how to get a photo to come out at a reasonable size here, so you don't have to scroll around it.

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #110 - Jan 18th, 2013 at 1:59pm

Most image upload sites have an resizing option that you can use when you upload your picture.
For example, http://imageshack.us/ and http://tinypic.com/

You could also use paint to resize your photo before you post it here.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #111 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 8:34am

Thanks for the advice. Here's my fifth attempt: at last, it worked! (Not sure why.) I was making the picture smaller (I thought) in Photoshop, but it appears I have to alter all three parameters to make it work.

Anyway, what it shows is the Hod Hill ramparts, very near where we'll be slinging. It's taken from the top of the outer rampart and the figure in red is on the inner rampart. It's a little steeper where we'll be.

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #112 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 10:24am

Looks like a good site. I can just imagine the hail you would meet if you popped your head over that outer rampart   Shocked

Was there a palisade wall on the inner rampart with a 'firing step' on the inside? This could greatly steepen the angle of shot you could get and eliminate the defilade at the base of the outer rampart. Should we take a step-ladder and see if we can see and sling parallel to the outer slope of the outer rampart?

[EDIT] Actually, looking at it again I'm not sure you could get high enough without a seriously big wall. Something we should definitely look at is slinging at an angle across the ramparts. I would set my defense as being a bunch of spearmen where the attack is going to reach the wall and position slingers on either side of them shooting at the attackers flanks while they try to fend off the spears with their shields.

IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #113 - Jan 19th, 2013 at 11:04am

There was likely a parapet on the inner rampart; C_A and I have been considering whether we could simulate that (elsewhere). Don't forget, also, that the ramparts would have been a bit steeper and the ditch deeper. (On the earlier Iron Age forts, the ramparts were lower but often faced with wood and stone, i.e. effectively a wall.) I think, though, the parapet could be more for standing behind than on top of. Some reconstruction illustrations do show a pallisade with a "firing step" but I don't know what evidence they have for it.

When we went to Barbury Castle, C_A could stand behind (inside and lower than) the inner rampart and drop shots (tennis balls, I'm pleased to say) on me in the outer ditch, i.e. past two ramparts blocking his view of me.

Current plan for the measured part of it is to simulate a direct frontal assault, but that doesn't mean we can't experiment with variations.  The influence of and reasons for the specific shape of the rampart are, after all, the point of the investigatione. Half the time, also, we will be "attacking" - slinging from the outside at the target on the ramparts.

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

mile-end

Student of the Iron Age

Romsey, Hants, UK
Reply #114 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 1:52pm

We're about to start the experiment, BUT I STILL NEED ONE MORE VOLUNTEER! Surely there's one more slinger who can manage a day out in Dorset any day in the next few weeks! No? Oh well, back to the statistical drawing-board.

C_A and David will be leading the charge (defence, rather) on Friday and/or Saturday. The and/or is because we'll be dodging between showers, I think. I spent most of today weighing, sorting and painting sling stones. (The paint is because the National Trust requires me to find and remove them all. If I miss one, at least future archaeologists will know it's one of mine.)

I visited C_A for some trial runs last week. He only broke the target a bit . . . I've done some mending, but I'm not sure it will last the course. I also tweaked the procedures a bit and modified the Safety Plan also. I did a survey at Hod Hill (so there's now a profile, Mauro) and chose a slightly different line to sling along as a result.

So, after a year of planning and negotiating, I'm almost ready to go. Main issue is likely to be the weather - and that missing slinger!

Will let you know how we get on.

Pete  

Pete Robertson
mile-end mile-end  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #115 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:59pm

I cant wait!  Grin

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #116 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 2:17am

Pete if I could get there from Portland Oregon I would sling until my fingers bled, but unfortunately I was born on the wrong continent for this wonderful experiment Sad

For all you geographically lucky people, good luck and have fun! Pete put a lot of work into this and I bet it will be awesome!

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #117 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 6:39am

We tried, there are slingers in the south of england - even one notable one in oxford who definitely has a car whistle who could have easily made the trip.

It's not like the threads have been hidden. Not sure what else we could have done, just have to face it - english slingers don't like getting involved.

Anyway I'm picking david up from the station at 9:37 and then setting out for the bottom of the country (ye gods). Which anyone who knows me will realise is bloody early for me to get anywhere.

Next job, fix the cigarette lighter socket in the car - the charger for my cell phone decided to fall to bits last week and I think there are still bits in there that need digging out.
Without the satnav plugged in tomorrow it'll be a very long journey (although davids phone probably has one as well.).

Pics and reports as and when we're back at computers.   

It'll be fun regardless of the weather Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #118 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:01am

Costa has not payed me yet, I can't afford the trip  Sad
I wish you the best of fun, Mile I can't remember if you had found these pics I sent you of our hillforts useful...?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #119 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 7:47am

Will you guys be bringing a video camera? And slinging against the fort?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)