Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beware backwards rocks in Indiana! (Read 1650 times)
m_j
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Beware backwards rocks in Indiana!
Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:26am

Hi guys!
I made my first sling the other day (a 26" paracord and deerskin) based on info found on this site. I'm enjoying the site if not the actual slinging so much. First attempt was zero success- 15 stones slung at a cookie sheet from 10-25yds, zero hits. Nearest ones were maybe 2ft from the target, farthest were 20 yards in the opposite direction. I'll keep at it!
My main hobby/passion is slingshots. I shoot a slingshot with very good success ( I should, as much as I practice!) and compete in tournaments and events to further the sport.
Glad to be here!
-MJ

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Beware backwards rocks in Indiana!
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:49am

Greetings and Welcome from Australia,

My number one passion is the sling but I also do like and shoot slingshots. Funny how the two are often lumped together as they are really very different devices. Slingshots are much more like bows and I'm afraid they are also much easier to use. However stick with the sling. It's a lot more physical and so satisfying once you actually start hitting things. At the moment, if you're getting them to go downrange you're doing OK.

I don't know what style you are using but I suggest starting with an underarm. I find it the most intuitive and nearly everyone I've taught has been able to pick it up in a single teaching session. You may like to have a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgH6LIl4om4

Be glad to help if I can.

Regards,

Aussie

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

m_j
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:34am

Thanks!
I was using the helicopter style at first. I tried overhand once and it scared the hell out of me! I'll give underhand a shot next time.
You're right, slingshots and slings do seem to get lumped together but couldn't be more dissimilar.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:30pm

A new slinger here in Indiana?  Oh no.  I'll be looking over my shoulder so often it'll look like a nervous tick.

Good to have you m_j.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 10:16pm

don't be harsh on yourself, i've been slinging for 3-4 years and i still haven't managed to hit a target consistently.  Grin

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:28am

the trick is to not tell anyone what you were aiming at - until after the stone lands Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 8:03pm

Hello from Alabama.  What worked for me was suggested by another member, start close, like 5 steps, when you hit consistantly, move back a couple of steps.  Keep doing this.  It is going to take regular sessions and about 30 to 50 throws per session and several weeks to get past about 10 paces.  Uniform ammo is a must for accuracy, most of the real good shots either make their ammo or they use tennis balls in regular practice and throw lots when out and about, such as walking the dogs, going to and from work or school or what ever.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 3:55pm

Howdy from Pennsylvania. My advice, start with tennis balls. I have been slinging for 3 years now and I still use em, and pretty acurately too. As long as you are less than 20 yards there isn't much difference in accuracy anyway, and I know at least when I started out I was happy just to get my shot to go in front of me and tennis balls will do that as well as any ammo, just safer.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)