IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: found some slingin ;D
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:59am

lmao - says footage is blocked in my country - despite also saying it's a bbc program from channel 5 (both english tv stations)

Youtube a little confused I think Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:32am

Not blocked in Australia. Fairly standard knuckle dragging stuff homo sapien invents weapon to defend against marauding homo erectus stuff, and the narrator calls it a, "slingshot" Angry. The guy demonstrating appears to know his stuff but as usual the video is a super closeup of him whirling overhead and then a rear shot once he's already discharged at a 3D deer target of the type that archers use. You couldn't really learn how to sling from the demo if you didn't already know before.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:40am

Despite shortcomings,  its awesome they even mentioned the sling lolll what if they never even talked about it; they would have talked only about the atlatl or something...

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 7:58am

Yeah sorry. Didn't mean to dis the program as a whole: quite informative really. Of course it's not meant to be a "how to sling" instructional and for the general viewer it covers all they're likely to want o know about slinging. The guy does point out that it's a serious weapon not to be underestimated.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:23am

Nah its alright,  didnt like parts of it myself,  rather amateur of them I think,  they need some real primitive weapons experts not just some "archaeologists".

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:33am

as much attention as they put on tools,the sling got enough. Not too informative or interesting for a slinger but it was more of a big picture documentary.
But with movies like this i always think that it was probably quite different how it is depicted. On the surface it might be quite close but more deeply into it might be quite different.
Think about it,even with things we know much more closely and detailed than how things were a 100.000 years ago,for example other cultures that live not far away in the present,most of us have a quite a different view of how they are,what they do etc than it truely is.
Even when you see it actually,you compare it to your personal background and experiences,so you get a subjective view of it.
In this documentary or whatever it is,they depict our ancestors life as everyday struggle and constant fear, and killed and get killed and a step from dieing which might have been on some occasions but the big picture was probably not that.They were just as familiar or much more familiar with their environment than we are.Obviously had the knowledge,understanding,skill,stamina to survive.Of course sometimes they got hurt or killed or get killed but surely not on a daily basis. Also they tend to depict as the homo sapiens got "to the top" by killing every humanoid and every animal that got in the way.The ultimate killer,which again happened but evidence suggest that humans were helping out each other with spreading information,sharing food,water,tools etc. This was and is a huge factor in surviving and living better.
Anyways it's good food for thought,thanks for sharing!

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

Alaska
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:51am

yeppers

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:36pm

Slingshot? SLINGSHOT?!  Angry

But other than that, it's nice to see the sling get some recognition.

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 8:48pm

i personally find no issue with it being called a slingshot. give it a few hundred years ago in english speaking countries slingshot and sling meant the same thing. it was only towards the late 1800's that there was a distinction, and even then the slingshot is actually a misnaming of the catapult and not the other way around. i think the american slingshots are really the only guilty one's, and us with the short end of the stick.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:04am

The video was pretty funny, but that also has somthing to do with me not being able to take people with english accents seriously.  Wink

If he could actually hit that deer from that distance I would be quite impressed. Pretty good looking sling too for a guy that doens't seem to know a whole lot about it.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 3:02pm

I didn´t wanted to start a new topic, so I grab this one.

While surfing around on his YT side, this guy, Dave Canterbury from Dual Survival surprised me with a slinging-video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?feature=watch#p/u/229/4HqFPb4Dl...

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:18pm

Even though they called the sling a sling shot, it is a very cool video.  I liked it a lot. Stuff like this is fascinating to me.  Good find, little!  "One spear... many stones!"  A classic quote for sure. Homo Erectus  went extinct for one very simple reason.  In two million years they never thought to put a handle on their ax heads.  You might think I'm trying to be funny here, but this is true. 
  I'll be sure to watch the next one about the Neanderthals also.  They went extinct because they couldn't shoot as well as us.  We were more proficient with all projectile weapons.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:50pm

Video 1- Indoorslinging  Cool Cool Cool

Video 2 Mc Gyver

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 5:23pm

Ulrica wrote on Feb 25th, 2012 at 3:02pm:
I didn´t wanted to start a new topic, so I grab this one.

While surfing around on his YT side, this guy, Dave Canterbury from Dual Survival surprised me with a slinging-video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters?feature=watch#p/u/229/4HqFPb4Dl...

Dave is a great guy, I know several people that know him personaly and I have been following his great videos from before he was on DS. I have his book and he again mentions how it takes a lot of practce, but it is easily improvised and does have game taking potential.

He has a survival school a few hours from my sisters college so sometime when I go to that college I'll be sure to intrudce the sling more in depth and maybe make a vid.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick)