Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
EASY Tied on fletching turorial (Read 8327 times)
LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
EASY Tied on fletching turorial
Jan 8th, 2012 at 5:47pm

Hey, sorry if the pics are a bit shoddy but I think you should be able to get the just of it.

The shafts I am using in this tutorial are cattail with short birch and serviceberry foreshafts with fire hardened points.

Materials: Any suitable feathers for fletching, (turkey, goose etc.)   fine crochet thread or other thread, scissors, (optional) beeswax, (optional) water resistant glue.

I start by cutting my fletchings, leave them a little extra long as you will have to shave the bristles off for about a cm. on either end where you will be wrapping them.   Trim them down a little, not perfect but close to the width you will want them to ultimately be, this makes it easier to part the bristles when tying them on.

Cut the upper end of each fletching about 1-2mm. shorter than the next:

Wax your thread with some beeswax, I used a little less than 1 1/2 arm lengths to tie these on, longer fletchings will require more so be generous,

Start your binding by wrapping over the loose end of your string,

Now continue your wrapping, going around the end of your longest fletch twice to hold it on, then introduce your next fletching and go around it twice and finally your third and last fletch, continue wrapping until the de-bristled quill is nearly completely wrapped, wrapping now around  all 3.

You can't see all 3 fletchings, the 3rd. is on the other side.

Now make a loop and tuck your thread under it, then pull tight...

Now continue with the same thread down between the bristles of your fletchings in a spiral pattern with about a cm. spacing or a little less.

When you have wrapped all the way down between the bristles of the fletchings make another loop around the bare quills at the end and tuck the thread through the loop and pull tight.  Now decide whether you want a helix on them or not, if you do gently push the bottom of each fletching along under where you tied it, push toward the dull side of the fletchings to do it properly, push all of them over the same amount at the base until you have enough of a helix, if you don't want a helix then just straighten them up and continue to the next step!

Wrap the rest of your quills and about a cm. past the quill along the shaft, make another loop and tuck the thread through it and pull tight!

YOUR DONE!  I coat the wrapping on either end with some water resistant glue to secure it better, but if you tie a double knot rather than a single you wouldn't have to, or you could simply put glue on only the knot. 

The finished product, (sorry, I had to take the photos indoors, bad lighting,)

I made 5 of the fletching type on the right, 3 of the the long narrow fletching type in the center and 8 of the angled type on the left.

OBVIOUSLY I NEED A LITTLE WORK ON MY AIM...COULDN'T HIT THAT DARN PIECE OF BIRCH BARK....

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: EASY Tied on fletching turorial
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 11:28pm

Great job!  Easy to follow and a very good to mention how to make helical fletches.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 1:24am

Thanks, it's my first tutorial.       I set out to learn how to tie on my fletchings and found quite a few guides, but people were all using fletching jigs made from things like cardboard/birchbark/leather and so I came up with my own method of doing by having different lengths to the ends of the fletch you will be wrapping.  I find it is much faster than the other methods and only requires one continuous wrap, the guides I saw used two separate wrappings, one for top or bottom and one for top or bottom and between the bristles.

I will be making up more arrows soon, I have some maple, willow, spruce, poplar and a lot of wild rose shoots made up into shafts...I don't know what I will do with all the arrows to be honest, I think I have gone a bit too far, I have at least 20 more shafts of the above types together.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:13am

You can NEVER have enough arrows. Wink

Your cattails appear to be a lot more manly then ours. The ones we ususaly have are only around 1/4in across and are so light and weak that it's probably only spined for 30lbds, so when using a hunting bow it doesn't really work too well, but it might also be a construction matter cause yours seem to work allright.

I am gonna try doing a similar thing when I go sout this year I am going to gather a ton of phragite arrow shafts and see how they work. Right now I am making arrow shafts out of split hickory, but it takes awhile and there is a lot of waste.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 3:38pm

Are the main shafts cattail?  Did you gather them green and dry them or did you cut them after they had dried?

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:15pm

I gathered them early fall, they had the brown tops on them and were mostly beige in color.  I hear the time to gather them is late summer/early fall, I gathered mine a bit late though, about 1/3 of them I cut were starting to go rotten and I had to discard them, the rest were still strong enough.  If they are too old the center becomes kind of hollow and the fibers are seperating in the center, so if you squeeze the cattail it squishes, you have to cut them before this happens.  This is my first time making an arrow from cattail so I am still learning about them myself, I will be trying cutting them during different stages of the year and see what they are like.  You have to be sure to let them dry good as they are not as strong when wet.
  To make your arrow you want the middle portion more so of the cattail than the end or the base, the base actually is not as strong as the middle and the top is a little dried out and brittle.  Some of the cattails that grow here are around 6ft. more or less if you find a shady marshy area.  If you look along roadsides I find they are shorter, only about waist height.
  They are not strong enough to fasten points directly to them, so foreshafts must be used, and are best to be glued in as the inside of a cattail is kind of soft and will crush.  You could also use a short foreshaft for your knock, but I have had no issues with my knocks breaking, even shooting them with a bow around 50lb. pull. 
   The thing about them is that they are very very light, almost no weight to the shaft itself.  For that reason I would not use them for large game as I doubt they would have the momentum to push your broadhead through, but they are very fast arrows.
   The other beauty of them is that you can get all the cattails you want, they grow just about everywhere down here and are easily cut, you can go in the ditches and marshy areas and cut hundreds if you like, I cut about 30 just by visiting one marsh, I only cut that many as it was a little late in the year and I didn't know if they would work or not.  I will be cutting a few hundred next year!

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 6:41pm

Hey thanks Luke!
You know what?
Me and my archery teacher are discussing about the correctness of such ties - I mean, we do Medieval archery using tied fletches, but NO painting at all in the whole Europe (well, none that we know of at least  Grin ) depicts tied fletches  Undecided
What do you think?
We're studying recipes for strong Medieval glue, but are far from results....
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 2:54am

I think that artists often miss small details, and that something so slight as a thin thread wound around the fletchings may not have even been noticed by the artist or perhaps was too much of a bother to paint something so thin and small on every arrow in his work.  A lot of those old paintings such as the bayou tapestry were more like comic books than a serious painting, they were stylised and depicted a story with very "charicature" like drawings with oversized people and buildings.

On the other hand I don't actually know where the rumor of tied on fletchings in Europe came from, I have never done any research into it, on what evidence was this based on?  Were the more recent archers, (say 200-400 years ago?) using such a fletching arrangement and they just figured it was always that way?  The key thing you need to look into is whether they were able to even make a fine enough thread to tie them on in this manner, linen would work but it would be quite troublesome to make a very thin linen thread long enough to fletch your arrow, it would have been much easier to tie them on either end with gut or sinew as the indians did.
  I would also look at it from the angle that there were likely many styles of fletching in Europe, just as there were in the Americas.  There was likely the most common variant and then other styles that were more specific to certain remote areas, the most common style likely taking the lead in popularity due to its performance, ease of production and visual appearance.
   That's the theory I just came up with while reading your post anyway....

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:51am

I came at the same conclusion, I believe that almost any archer made its own arrows, with the most congenial method according to his habits.
But just for talking, here're a couple of pictures of San Sebastiano, a saint killed with arrows.
These are the most ancient paintings I've been able to find, and dated to the mid-1400: it's hard to say so only by judging a couple of image on the net, but I can assure you that none of these arrows are tied (I'll continue to tie my arrows nonetheless Smiley ).

Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 3:58pm

i have made some arrows out of dowels but i have a little problem the nocks on some of them broke

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:28pm

The arrows from the Mary Rose, a Tudor era ship, had tied on fletching.  There are at least thre arrows dating from around 1350 to 1450 in England that have tied on fletches.  And there is a whole lot of literature from that time frame that tells how to make arrows.  There are several books from Asia and the Middle East that talk about making arrows, most use some type of wrap on the fletches.  One reason the ends were wrapped was to prevent the tip of the feather from cutting the top of the archers hand when he shoots. 

Now, that being said, just because the English made their arrows that way, is no reason that anybody else made their arrows that way.  And, I would suspect that arrows were made in many different patterns and styles over the years, the hunting arrows and the semi massed produced war arrows of the Romans would have been made very differently.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:40pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:28pm:
There are at least thre arrows dating from around 1350 to 1450 in England that have tied on fletches.

Now I'd really like to see these!
Could you plese post some links sir?  Smiley
Those damned English and their perfect anti-corrosive soil  Grin
Many thanks,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:55pm

Did you see the bows in that first painting?  Those things are crazy!

A distinction I might make is that crossbow bolts may not have had tied on fletchings, you HAVE to have the ends of your fletches wrapped for shooting over your hand rather than a rest, I speak from painful experience and only with a 30lb. bow, not 100+!!  Crossbow bolts often had even wooden fletchings and this may be one reason they might have glued on the feather fletches as well, and perhaps in these pictures it is mainly the crossbow bolts depicted, I notice none of them are very long.

That is some great info there bill, I have read about the mary rose and even seen a few specials on t.v. showing the bows.

Arthur, I think your problem would be that you did not wrap below the knock, get some thread no heavier than a fine crochet thread and no lighter than sewing thread and wrap around under the knock, the wrapping should be about a cm. long, finish it like I did my wrapping by making a loop and tucking the end through and pulling tight, then for sure apply glue.  You can also apply glue to the area being wrapped before you wrap it.  If the knock wants to split then it will have to burst the cordage.  If the sides of the knock are breaking you are probably leaving them to thin and making to wide a knock.

toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 7:51am

Yes, some of earlier Renaissance paintings are absolutely crazy!

By the way, there are so many variables in the "tied vs. non-tied arrows" argument, that we could keep talking about it for pages and pages withouth coming to an end.
I personally tie my arrows, for the very good reason that I don't want feathers to scratch my hand (even if I'm making a good callus in the left one, scratches are still a nuisance). But I'd be curious to find the right recipe of a glue so hard that ties become unnecessary.

Plus, as it's my habit when it comes to deal with hypothesis whose answer is hardly recognizable in ancient evidences, I am prone to allow anyone to adopt the solution that better fits him, for I think that it's a sort of rule dictated by common sense, which is something that our ancestors had too  Smiley

Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 7:41pm

The three arrows I cited are in the book by Hugh Soar, I think the name is "The English Warbow", I let some one borrow the book and I haven't got it back.  I don't believe there were pictures of those arrows.  There were a lot of pictures of the arrows from the Mary Rose.  Jaap and Kay Koppendreyer of Yumi Archery, practice Japenese and Asiatic archery, Kay writes the articles, Jaap makes the bows and the arrows.

If you want to avoid the cuts on the top of your hand, peel the feather off the quill, tie one end on, glue the feather all the way to the tip and then tie on the other end.  I use sinew, but I have used sewing thread, feed sack string, fibers of palmetto and dental floss.  For glue, I have used rubber cement, hide glue, unflavored gelatine, fletching glue and super glue.  They all worked, some better than others but they all made an arrow that shot well. 

The secret to making a great arrow is the tip and the nock must be on line, I use river cane, a species of bamboo, you can never get it perfectly straight, but it flies straight if your nock and tip are in line.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)