Send Topic Print
making a bow. (Read 12162 times)
paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
making a bow.
Jan 6th, 2012 at 9:08pm

I am currently getting ready to make a bow out of Osage. Actually, i am going to. Start in about August, when the wood is seasoned.  Anny suggestions, hints, i dont even have an idea, besides a long bow. Thanks in advance paracordslinger says: ''

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: making a bow.
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:03pm

learn how to make your tools scary sharp .. by any method

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:33pm

Steven wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:03pm:

I like this in more than one level. For one thing, scary sharp should make the user very cautious, resulting in fewer uh-oh moments.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:38pm

Scary sharp also tends to lead to fewer uh-oh moments because you *shouldn't* need to force the blade to cut, and therefore will be a little less likely to slip and cut yourself. Scary sharp is good.

David Morningstar posted awhile back about making a bow from a board of red oak. Brian Grubbs also has a few posts about making a bow for his father. You might want to glean those for information.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:39am

Well first buy The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 1, And then if you haven't already, split the log. and seal the ends with some white glue to avoid cracks.

You can either leave the sapwood and the bark on and it will take a little longer to dry, would definitely be ready by august though, or you could remove both and get down to the heart wood and it would be ready around the end of april or early may.

Be very carefull when "chasing rings" as if you dig into the next ring there is a very high chance you will get a back plinter or your bow will sudenly become much shorter.  Wink

Again reading TBB 1 will tell you almost everything you need to know. Also take 10min and get an acount on Paleo Planet. There are a few primitive archers on here like myself, Bill Skinner, and David Morningstar, but there are dozens of primitve archers that have lots of expierience on osage bows there (including us three, my username is Woodland Archer). Either way you also might want to try making a Red oak board bow first just to learn the way wood works and to get some expierience before you dig into a good osage stave (It will probably break or be underweight after many tiller adjustments, but even that's part of the learning process to help you make better bows in the future.). You will learn a LOT with your first few bows so it would be really nice to have at least some of that knowledge when you make that osage bow.

Whatever happens, don't give up, primitve archery is no doubt one of the most difficult paths to take but it's also the most sceneic and the most rewarding.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:15am

Dan gives good advice.  I built my first (and only) osage bow a couple of years ago and it turned out very nice, I think I put pics up on the site. 

A very nice fellow on the Primitive Archer forum actually gave me a nice osage stave to work with, and the guys had plenty of good advice as well.

After you read "The bible", you'll understand what "chasing the ring" means.    I found that a perfect tool for this chore was an old machete!  Held in two hands and used like a spokeshave, it was perfect... It easily cut through the sapwood but would not cut into the hard second-growth wood.

I ended up putting a nice blacksnake skin on mine to hide the many little cuts and gouges the back accumulated.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 11:28am

I suggest you make a bark on self bow.  Just take your log and chop it down to shape with an axe not touching the side you want for the back, giving you bare wood on the inside and a bark backing. I also found that a flat bow was easier to tiller than a D bow, but perhaps it is different for different people.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 12:50pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:38pm:
Scary sharp also tends to lead to fewer uh-oh moments because you *shouldn't* need to force the blade to cut, and therefore will be a little less likely to slip and cut yourself. Scary sharp is good.

That's another of the levels I alluded to.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

johnny108
Descens

Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 3:38pm

"The Backyard Bowyer: The Beginner's Guide to Building Bows "
VERY good book!  Amazon has it.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:26pm

What Dan and Bikewer said.  I lean towards Primitive Archer over Paleoplanet, all PA is about is making bows and arrows while Paleoplanet is more general and covers a much broader selection for primitive skills.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 1:54am

i used primitive archer my first time as well (only time unfortunately). trace out a bow pattern onto the wood, decide what amount of taper you want, and start cutting it to shape from there. i used a cleaver to cut out the rough shape, but you could use an axe as well. i made my pattern slightly large to allow a margin of error. i then whittled down the stave to the final shape with a knife. after that i continued whittling it until i could pull it back for tillering... which is where i made a mistake that i'll hopefully fix. i made the stave too stiff so i couldn't tiller it right. however, i had tried bending it so many times that i had caused around 2 inches of string set. after i did get it thin enough for tillering, and went on from there. unfortunately midway through i had four inches of string set, or 4/5 of how much it was actually going to be when it was finished (i aimed for 5 inches full brace, or a little less than my pinky to the base of my thumb). after that i had school and whatever so i didn't have a chance to finish it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 6:02pm

Steven wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 11:03pm:

Already done. One of my main tools will bemy Usa made recon tanto. It is sharp enough to shave with lol, and i have the tra. Bowyer encyclopedia. I am going for an optimum eight of 40~45#. I haveitglued already.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #12 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 10:08pm

From the traditional bowyer's bible you'll actually learn how to select the trees and cut them down yourself, not just starting from the stave, trust me, those books (volumes 1-4) were the best $100 I ever spent (canadian pricing, taxes in and all that jazz).

I haven't ever made a bow myself, I'm still making my first one, unfortunately I got those books after I started making the bow, so it's a half-complete red oak board bow, I recommend starting with one of those anyway though, it's cheap, easy, readily available, and I'm only going for about 35-40# so I think I'll get some use out of it anyway.

This does bring up another question I have, I haven't gotten to this stage yet, but where does the arrow rest go in relation to the true center of the bow?

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 11:19pm

Depending on your hand size, about 2 inches, (50mm) above center of the bow, nock to nock.

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 9:26pm

just gotfinished reading backyard bowyer, i am going to make a flatbow, and ieill start with a red oak plank first. then make a beauty out of that osage

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)