Send Topic Print
The Eagle (Read 3242 times)
Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
The Eagle
Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:32am

I'm putting this in the weapons section due mostly to the historical content.     We watched this last night on HBO.  Story set during the Roman occupation of Britain.. Hadrian's Wall and all that.   The 9th Legion marches North into the wilds, never to return.  20 years later, the commander's son decides to go looking for the lost unit standard, the gold eagle.

Didn't have much expectation of this, I don't recall seeing any reviews.     However... We were impressed!

First, from the historical aspect, everything was dead on, as far as I could tell.  Romans properly armed and armored, and likewise the "barbarians".  At one point, a fellow is holding another with a knife to his neck... It's a very well-done seax.   Small daggers, swords... All very authentic.

None of that having all the Roman troops dolled up in shiny parade armor from the late-Roman periods; this was authentic-looking combat armor proper for the period.
Well done.   And....

It was a good story!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: The Eagle
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 10:50am

Great actors and acting too. This is the one with the Picts painted pale blue and punkish hairstyles ?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 12:22pm

picts or celts ?

Thought by the roman era the picts had all gone and it was celts up north.

The eagle of the ninth is a great legend. I'll have to keep an eye out for this production  Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 1:26pm

Lucky you!

I went to the Archaeological Museum of my town yesterday (please note... a National Museum, something quite important) with a couple of friends because they told me there would have been a re-enactment group showing off Roman's weaponry evolution through the years... from archaic period to late Imperial.

We went there and I said: oh damn! I recognized some people under the helmets, they were acting as Elves during medieval-style parties some years ago... oh well people grow up I said... the very same persons built a Celtic branches hut 2 years ago - assuming that during the Third Century b.C. a powerful culture such as the Senonian Gauls had yet to discover either the brick and the roof tile. But at least their purpose was good, and I had really a strong hope that they would have improved more and better.

But no: lacks in clothing, brass harness instead of bronze ones, imaginative armors.

What's worst? that the Museum's Deputy Director is fond of them; she's going to open shelves to allow them to measure and photograph any item they want, plus she's going to give them any documentation about these items, even if unpublished.

While I have to dribble Museum's surveillance to make a couple of quick shots at the sword I want to forge using a hypotetical, yet historically plausible Iron Age forge and my arms - no electric tools at all - how am I supposed to understand ancient's habits if I simply make some quick replica??

It's frustrating, I hate when experimental archaeology is used as an excuse to role play inside official Institutions such as the Museum!

Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2012 at 2:24pm

i watched the beginning of the eagle before as well. i'll say the plot line wasn't the best (extremely guessable), but i didn't find anything historically innacurate either. i don't like how their off duty uniform is regulation shorts and a maroon tshirt. not sure they had those back then  Wink. i think they wore wool leggings in the winter or a loincloth in the summer with a tunic. not sure.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 8:34pm

Had a chance to see The Eagle a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it. Gotta admit, if I was a legionary and my commander told me we were going to form the tetsudo (spelling?) and march into the middle of a bunch of psyched up savage Celts, I'd have turned and puked too.

Good movie. I liked seeing the Roman Phalanx tactics in action.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 8:44pm

In reality the 9th Legion is supposed to have ended its days in the Middle-East. At least according to some sources.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 12:28am

Sounds like a book I read back in the 50s, Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe(?). They had marched off into Caledonia and weren't heard of again. Her Sword at Sunset is a good read, too, a retelling of the King Arthur story set in a more realistic millieu.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 1:09pm

I think the movie IS, in fact, based on Rosemary Sutcliffe's novel !

IP Logged

ChuckRocks

Leverage Artillery Design
Engineer

The Florida Outback, USA
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 6:06pm

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlSkX8T4doQ

I'm not into Romans or Flavius Aquila.
I'm not into over-imaginative representation of the Pics, German camo?
Wasn't Trebus Germanicus governor over the Brit lands at the time the 9th went awol?

Celts Rule.

(AKA Walker / Visit my Facebook page: at http://www.facebook.com/pages/SiegeMasters/168138883205859 )
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris)