IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Re: Slo-mo tomahawk
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 10:23am

Superb!

Were you trying out a new Christmas pressie? BTW is the camera expensive? It would be very cool to use such to film some sword sparring, not to mention other sling-related themes!   Smiley

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2011 at 12:54pm

The one I got was expensive but I only use the fastest setting for archery. 300 frames/sec is right for most things and has more resolution. There are cheaper ones in the range.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 7:42am

nice  Smiley

What sort of distance have you worked up to ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 10:03am

Two spins, six paces. It has quite a short handle so it spins more quickly than a standard 18" tomahawk.

IP Logged

NorthwoodsSlinger
Descens

Mountain Man

How about tomahawks?
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:20pm

Who else has experience with these?

I personally find great joy in both throwing them and sparring with my buddy. Overall I think they're a very versatile weapon in a hand-to-hand combat situation. They can be used to defend against a variety of other weapons including knives, swords, and clubs. With a lot of practice in both muscle memory and judging position on instinct, one can also become very formidable with a throwing tomahawk... Even while moving.

I own two modern SOG Fusion Tactical hawks and three handcrafted, replica 17th century wooden throwers. I find it hard to choose which I enjoy using more. The SOG hawks are weighted for throwing and are also very tough. They're great for learning to throw from longer distances and they can take a serious beating. The wooden ones on the other hand, they throw like a dream and have the heft to drive the blade pretty deep into a target.

One more question, does anyone have experience making and/or using stone tomahawks? I am interested in having a go at crafting one myself.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I cut straight through the forest, and that has made all the difference.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Re: How about tomahawks?
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:53pm

I love tomahawks.  Mostly, I like the older-looking ones.  They're a great weapon, fun to throw and to use.  As far as primitive hawks go, my favorite design are paleoarts' ground stone tomahawks.  I want one of those really badly.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:04am

If you like hawks you need to look up vec hawks they are the best

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:10am

I was all prepared to hate them, since they're modern, but then I saw them and they look traditional, but with modern materials.  I really want one of the ones with the wood-looking haft to it.  How much do they cost?

Still, I do want one of paleoarts' as well.  Nothing beats stone.

IP Logged

ghost0311-8541

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:26am

I think they run 250.00 but he garentees it

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 2:56am

I'm a hawk chucker  Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kruo_gxYesw

Cold Steel ones are okay, but need a little work to get them right and they always have that stupid hole where the grub screw was. I have two and the Rifleman especially took an enormous beating in two public have-a-go days, it survived perfectly.

My current fave is a very traditional trade axe style: http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Products/Tools/Axes/Throwing+Axes/Product/T...

On any trad hawk it is well worth checking the edges of the inside of the eye (where the handle goes through the head) and if the edge is sharp, blunt it well with a file. This stops the head from digging a 'step' into the handle that stops it from getting a good friction fit.

For throwing, a long round-shouldered bevel is best. This sticks much better than a short flat grind. It is a simple job to get a good bevel with a file, but try not to scratch side the eye as you do this. Some strips of duct tape to mask the head away from the edge helps keep it looking nice.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 4:18am

Here's mine.Designed by me,forged by a blacksmith. "scythish-hunish" shape:

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 7:17am

Continue here shall we? http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1186261431 ; Wink
I'm sticking this topic to that older one.
NorthWoodSlinger, this is nothing personal, it's just the way we try to keep the forum clean  Smiley
By the way there are 2 or 3 more discussions on tomahawks, and some other about throwing axes, you may want to check our Primitive Weapon's Index (strongly recommended!).
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 8:35am

Been a long time 'hawk fan. I have a customized CS trail hawk and the sog fusion with innertube sewn over the handle (I thought the handle was a little small).

My Dad did his Kenpo Black Belt Thesis on adapting Kenpo Techniques for use with a Tomahawk and a Knife. It was pretty awesome. He has the CS trench hawk and a plastic trainer.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Atlatlista
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 9:03am

jlasud wrote on Feb 19th, 2013 at 4:18am:
Here's mine.Designed by me,forged by a blacksmith. "scythish-hunish" shape:

That is awesome!  I would love a Scythian tomahawk.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man)