Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where to buy a Kukri? (Read 11759 times)
Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Where to buy a Kukri?
Nov 27th, 2011 at 5:30pm

Apparently I’m hard to buy for, so my family has asked me to make suggestions for the holiday.  So:  Where on the internets would you buy a good Kukri?  Nothing expensive or ornamental, mind, I plan to use it.  I know some of you have Kukri, and others know knives and the internets, so does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks for the help!
Eo

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Where to buy a Kukri?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 5:37pm

cold steel makes a cheap kukri machete for around 20 dollars.

here's the 16 inch version for 16 dollars, no sheath http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CS97KMS/cold-steel-kukri-machete-13-inch-carbon

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 5:43pm

If you want military Issue, I suggest Altanta Cutlery. I've bought from them before and they are convenient.
New: http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-129-kukris-machetes.aspx
Antique, Unissued: http://www.atlantacutlery.com/c-100-knives.aspx

If you want to compare kukris and buy one in different dimensions from milspec, I suggest Khukuri House. http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/catalog/ They may or may not be the original manufacturer.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 7:11pm

I got a machete style kukri from coldsteel.com,  look for better ones at www.knifecenter.com, ; theres either reproductions or machete style blades.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 8:50pm

Either the Kukri House or Himalayan Imports with be able to sell you an "Offcial" Regimental kukri. You might try them on Ebay. I think both have sites there.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 2:43am

I got mine from Kukri House in Nepal and I'm very happy with it.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 4:13am

Yoy better order soon though, if you want it for Christmas. Remember, its coming from Nepal.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 7:47am

I suggest a khukri from Himalayan Imports. Friend of mine has one(looks lika chiruwa ang-khola) and has pass through a serious use

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 3:12pm

I can vouch for the quality of these.

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

I bought one of the gladius models and it's a cutting machine. It takes a great edge and holds it very well.

Here's a link also to the very high quality version that cold steel offers. You would be hard pressed to find a better one but it's a bit pricey.

http://www.coldsteel.com/sanmaigurkha.html

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 3:53pm

I think here are the best, I have 6 of them.
http://www.gurkha-imports.com/de/khukuris/reviews

Michel

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 10:52pm

Whatever you do, DON"T GET THE COLD STEEL KUKRI!  It is not authentic, and is hardly anything like actual kukuri knives.  It is a machete, not a knife (although kukuri's are very large knives...).

I bought mine on eBay.  Here are some examples (although neither is mine):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commando-Gurkha-Kukri-Knife-Nepal-Gurka-khukuri-Yak-Horn...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-5-Kukri-Battle-Dagger-Gurkha-knife-w-leather-sheath-/...

Keep in mind, there are a number of different types of kukuris, the most common being military and rural (may be incorrect on the latter's name; regardless, it is those used by nepalese farmers).  I would suggest the military version, although both are made of high carbon steel, making them some of the strongest knives you can own.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:05am

stuck with khurkri house.
Several reasons.

1) you're dealing with a company run by ex-british army gurkhas. Some of the hardest men in the world and people who have used khurkris both in battle and in everyday life while on deployment.
2) all the knives are made by nepalese craftsmen in the traditional manner.
3) you are supporting the economy of one of the world's poorest countries
4) you want  a proper khurkri - buy it from a gurkha Smiley  

Quote:
In this already over crowded and gratuitously competed khukuri business where majority of people sell fake and imitation, KHUKURI HOUSE HANDICRAFT INDUSTRY or better known as KHHI stands out and reigns because of the simple and sincere fact that KHHI is GENUINE. It is also the world’s first and largest manufacturer and retailer of original khukuris since 1989 and embraces a strong reputation as being the official supplier and maker for the British Gurkhas. Similarly its strict adherence to superior quality, total professionalism, 100% originality and fair prices have always differentiated KHHI from the rest. Furthermore its priceless dedication and contribution in saving the state of Khukuri which was in the verge of extinction and promoting it to the international level have intensely defined KHHI. Lastly and most importantly KHHI’s remarkable commitment and motivation in uplifting the standard and status of Kamis and their unique craftsmanship that was in dire striates have set KHHI in the history book in its own right.

Today the khukuri business has substantially grown and so has the reputation and standard of the khukuri. Along with the grooming business status of Kamis has considerably improved and their outstanding skill is being recognized. It has also paved ways for enormous opportunities, possibilities and given platform to exploring further avenues. Similarly huge production, maximum involvement of people and their desire in doing business, and realization of the market credibility have created numerous job opportunities increasing the living standard of people as a whole. We at KHHI take pleasure witnessing the development that has been happening for years and credit itself with pride for the crucial role it played as we believe that this would not have happened if KHHI was not established and did not show the dedication and determination.

Nuff said - accept no cheap american or chinese ripoff substitutes.
Slinging.org officially endorses Khukuri house.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 7:01pm

Ah, c_a, you're killing me.  My thoughts were the same (I really did go and read all of that background info on my own), but decided against it because the shipping was so expensive.  If I ever get any sort of budget, that's where I'll go.

Thanks for all the links, I will look through them all.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:54pm

Atlanta Cutlery imports all of their kukris from the same Nepalese manufacturer as Khukuri house, they aren't made in America. They're the same kukris as Khukuri House, but without the price of importing a big chunk of metal. (Even though the kukri itself is slightly more expensive.)

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:49pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 8:54pm:
Atlanta Cutlery imports all of their kukris from the same Nepalese manufacturer as Khukuri house, they aren't made in America. They're the same kukris as Khukuri House, but without the price of importing a big chunk of metal. (Even though the kukri itself is slightly more expensive.)

same for the ebay knives too. i would go for either those or atlanta cutlery

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)