Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long do you prefer your sling? (Read 3072 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

How long do you prefer your sling?
Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:19am

I like to have my Sling short 50 cm and 70 cm max.
Short slings give me better accuracy because I need less space to sling and it makes me feel closer to the sling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

David the Shepherd
Descens

www.DavidTheShepherd
.com

Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Re: How long do you prefer your sling?
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:26am

I prefer my slings to be about 4 ft long (or just slightly longer for total length).  Any shorter and I can't get the power I want.  Any longer and I can't get the accuracy I want.

So, that's around 24" to 27" when folded in half.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2011 at 6:57pm by David the Shepherd »  

So David overcame Goliath with A Sling & A Stone, and struck him and killed him.  But David had no sword in his hand.&&1 Samuel 17:50
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:43am

David the Shepherd wrote on Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:26am:
I prefer my slings to be about 4 ft long (or just slightly longer).  Any shorter and I can't get the power I want.  Any longer and I can't get the accuracy I want.

So, 24 inches when folded in half? Or is that 48 inches when folded in half?

I prefer my slings to be either 24 inches (61 cm) or 36 inches (91.5 cm), but I can use a sling anywhere between 18 and 48 inches (46 and 122 cm).

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 2:15pm

Around 24 inches (1/2 m) or so for hunting in the woods, and down to my ankle bone when terrian and brush allows, around 30 inches (75cm) or so.  I have been working with a 40 inch sling (1m) and it is rapidly becoming my favorite.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 2:27pm

I usually prefer mine to just not reach the ground when the arm hang straight down, might be 26-27-28".  For when I attempt some distance slinging I might use slings which just don`t touch the ground when my lower arm is lifted horizontally.  This might be around 40"/1 meter.  It is the lenght relative to me that is important for me, not the actual measurements.
timann

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 3:34pm

I'm tall with long arms and like most of my slings around 40" or about 102 cm.  Sometimes for the woods where there's not much space or for shooting underhand I like a shorter sling, maybe around 30" or 76 cm.  Slings shorter than 24" or 61 cm aren't much use to me.  My arm tires rather quickly when using one that is very short.  Slings that are way long seem sloppy and unresponsive to me.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 3:49pm

25 inches. i started several years ago at age 12, and 25inches was just right. i've grown a lot now, but i've never felt any reason to change.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 4:43pm

Usually around 30" or so with Fig.8 style, shorter for no windup styles like Greek or similar. Short slings and snappy styles are really good around trees or in long grass where the risk of snagging is a problem.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 9:22pm

I like my sling, when gripped in my hand, with a fully extended arm, to position the cradle exactly on top of my shoulder joint.  In my case that's about 31" to 32" once you add in the extra I need to allow the sling to run down through my hand. 

I personally find that any shorter than this and I am decreasing my power without increasing my accuracy.  Any longer and I find that the power increase quickly becomes very marginal to nill, and the only advantage is in being able to sling heavier rocks.  Longer slings can produce a lot of drag unless the cords and cradle are thin, so unless the rocks are heavy, it's not worth it.  I carry a long sling for this purpose but use it seldom.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 11:23pm

I used to like a 24" sling, but then I tried out a 27" (68cm) sling, it just seemed like I was getting the power effortlessly, and not a substantial decrease in accuracy (it's a bit, but not a lot). so I prefer a 27" (68cm) sling.

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 7:12am

my short slings are about the distance from hand to same shoulder long slings are to the opposite shoulder

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 8:30am

Arthur the great wrote on Nov 26th, 2011 at 7:12am:
my short slings are about the distance from hand to same shoulder long slings are to the opposite shoulder

Which should be the same lenghts as mine, described above Smiley
timann

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 9:17am

Ususally 24-30in with a main preference around 26in In really don't have that many oppertunities to sling for long distance (150yards plus) so a short slinf does pretty well in my enviorement. Plus I remember a few years ago, distance was the goal but now with more expirenced members it's more of an accuracy thing. So short sling are becoming more "trendy" due to the quest for greater accuracy.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

rockslingerboy2

Slinging Rocks!

Ireland
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 4:29pm

Whipartist wrote on Nov 25th, 2011 at 9:22pm:
I like my sling, when gripped in my hand, with a fully extended arm, to position the cradle exactly on top of my shoulder joint.  In my case that's about 31" to 32" once you add in the extra I need to allow the sling to run down through my hand.  

I personally find that any shorter than this and I am decreasing my power without increasing my accuracy.  Any longer and I find that the power increase quickly becomes very marginal to nill, and the only advantage is in being able to sling heavier rocks.  Longer slings can produce a lot of drag unless the cords and cradle are thin, so unless the rocks are heavy, it's not worth it.  I carry a long sling for this purpose but use it seldom.

My thoughts exactly. I have also found this exact length to maximise power output. I find that a sling any longer than this is unresponsive for many styles like fig.8 and apache and for byzantine style I would need 2 rotations to get the sling up to speed if it was any longer.

IP Logged

Fx 2000
Descens

Zielst Du noch, oder triffst
Du schon?

Karlsruhe Germany
Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 6:19pm

Hi,

65-70cm, as long as my arm.

Michel

The brain is a fantastic thing, if you use it.&&Früher war ich klein und gemein, heute bin ich größer und böser.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Kick)