Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Favourite sling design and why? (Read 9098 times)
Gnimbly
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Favourite sling design and why?
Nov 25th, 2011 at 6:32am

I imagine this has been chatted about before, but being new I wouldn't mind hearing everyone's views...Rockman, Peruvian, Tut, etc...which is your pick and why?

I've certain got a soft spot for the tight Tut weave...seems to me it's much more accommodating to the different shape and sizes of "wild" ammo...though I love the Rockman for ease of construction, split pouches don't seem to hold a shot as securely...though mine does need some more breaking in...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Favourite sling design and why?
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 7:24am

cap paul.
It'll throw just about anything from a handful of gravel to a stonking great rock.
and the riveted pouch is unique.

The ones I make are pretty good but pauls pouches are the best I know of.

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2011 at 12:41pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Gnimbly
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 7:37am

Don't think I've seen this one...

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 8:25am

Well for one I really can't weave and these days I don't really have the patience to learn. But I can braid pretty well. So I prefer the calsic braided cords leather pouch sling. Pretty much like Paleoarts elk hide sling but not quite as pretty.  Wink

Generaly I prefer slings between 25in and 30in

I like it cause with the thick cords and large pouch it's easy to controll and anything within 150 yards in front of me stands a pretty good chance of having a rock land right next to it. And it looks pretty cool too.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 8:33am

I'm going to say the pj, though I've modified it to the point the pj himself might not recognize it as his own.  I have to do another tutorial.  Anyway, the pj is very versatile, relatively easy to make, shoots as far and accurately as anything, and doesn't look bad.  Running a very close second for me is the rockman.  What I like about the rockman is it's durability and versatility.  I can throw anything from a small acorn sized projectile to a fist sized rock with a rockman.  It'll pretty much throw any ammo that you come across.  Also it's a great looking sling.  I also like the TS3 a lot.  It's fast, accurate, and nothing shoots farther.  
   Btw, welcome, Gnimbly.  You'll find tutorials for making all of these slings in Aussie's FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS and Tutorials section above.  Also, the names we use for these slings are just what we use here.  They don't mean anything outside of slinging.org.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 10:46am

Of those I can make? Peruvian. I really like the pouch shape on the peruvian/andean/south american slings. I really need to make a loom and try a looped warp pouch, which is similar.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 11:42am

i like braided slings with wool.... and i weave the pouch with jute.
my works not pretty but i'm getting better

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 2:02pm

I prefer the Rockman, but like the PJ and pretty much all the braided cord with woven pouch designs, single or split.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 2:50pm

Braided split pouch, elegant and practical in the most simplistic way possible.  Work just great for me.  Non-slingers don`t begin to comprehend what it is when they see one.  I use other types of sling for some time, but...

The slings I often make now, round braid split with a sewn-in knitted pouch has the benefit of working perfectly, cups the ammo soft but firm(!), smooth ammo can`t slip through, next best for me Wink

Third is the Apache sling, split pouch with soft leather sewn over the split.  Great if an torn leather jacket is available for leather Wink.  Great design but I`m ever so slightly bothered with pouches with a back and front side.

Rockman slings is fine too, but making the pouches consumes slightly more material than I would prefer.  Thick material might make the pouch halves a little thick.  This is just very minor issues, though.

I prefer braided slings over slings with just simple cords mostly because I enjoy braiding, best reason of them all Smiley
timann

IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 3:32pm

I love the ones Aussie sent me and find it's just about perfect. Of course i only throw tennis balls 'cause i can't be trusted with a real rock yet. Embarrassed

I would like to weave one something like a braided split pouch ... so far it hasn't happened but one day.

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 3:53pm

yep, can't get better than a captain paul (that one looks strangely familiar BTW Grin).

i personally like rockman slings i make, simple but efficient.

here's a good thread with some other great slings http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1313462184/

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Seatbelt sling works fine for me,  I can sling anythin from snowballs to just about anything.   Smiley

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 9:15pm

A well made Peruvian sling is my favorite both for usage and beauty.  I like how a compact split cradle doesn't cause excess drag.  I do make my slings a bit different than the traditional Peruvian ones but they are similar and if the cradle and release cords are treated with some glue on the inside, they will last for thousands and thousands of shots before they even start to show a bit of wear.      

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 11:34pm

we all know about the guides and articles section, right? good.

Simple string sling, or "Appu" sling has to be my favorite because it's just so basic, you can make it out of just about anything you find, you don't need leather, you can make twine out of grass and make it into one. it doesn't handle perfectly round ammo very well, but I use more egg-shaped ammo anyway.

I'm also saying this from the viewpoint of someone who can't braid anything properly and evenly. If I had a properly made braided sling sent to me, or I just had the patience to keep trying I would probably like them better.

Also, I've never made a tut sling, though there is nothing I want more that to try making one right now.

But anyway, my hopes and dreams are another story  Cheesy I still say that until I have a properly made braided sling to try I love using the stringslings (seriously, 50' of some good cord will make you 10-15 of them, and for less than $5 I can't complain.)

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 12:52pm

I know this is an old topic, but lets revive it

My current favorite sling design is the extremely simplistic twisted 2ply cord + woven pouch combo
My reasons:

- Only 1 material is needed to make the sling
- The flat woven pouch can conform a little to the shape of the projectile but still go flat on the release giving a smooth release
- It's the only sling design I am confident I can make with fibers I harvest myself
- No tools needed to make this sling except your hands
- If you have the cordage available, it only takes a few hours to make. If you need to collect the cordage from nature, it will take a longer but it's probably still the quickest proper sling to make.
- It slings rocks of many different shapes and sized, from the smallest of pebbles to chunkers of 250g. It also holds glandes perfectly and it can throw tennisballs pretty well (you just have to take a little more care with tennisball pouch placement, than with an aussie pouch). It can also throw golf balls.
- This design is neither too heavy or too light, nor too thin or too thick. It is exactly in the middle. It can be made long or short and still work well. 
- This sling design feels like it could be made 4000 BC in Europe. It also has a shepherds sling feel to it, especially if its made from soft jute.

It doesn't sling as great as a synethetic sling nor will it last as long, but the difference in performance is minor to me. The satisfaction from slinging with something you know didn't need massive industry behind it to be build, could've been used thousands of years ago by hunter gatherers, or build from fiber you harvest yourself, no paracord sling can top that.

This one is of jute and today I had a great session with it. Threw many bad rocks and was surprised by how well the jute held up.

I almost caught diner with it today on about the max range I could get with this sling, using a heavy rock. That was one lucky pheasant.

P6131764.JPG (400 KB | 63 )
P6131764.JPG

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark)