Pottery! (Read 4847 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Pottery!
Nov 20th, 2011 at 3:13pm

Ok I know pottery is not a primitive weapon.
But I also know we have some good potters here, and fellow experimental archaeology enthusiasts.
So excuse me if I post this topic here rather than in the "Other topics" section  Smiley

I'd like to show you my very first efforts in experimental archaeology.
With 3 friends, we built this clay furnace in 2007. The furnace is modeled on some Final Bronze Age ones found in our Region - be adviced that furnace's dome does not survive in archaeological sites, so our one is a hypothesis.
Building took more than 2 months, because we didn't buy commercial clay, but prepared our own by taking it along the rivers and by sifting it.
The video is related to the moment when we finished the furnace, and made fire to cook it.
Photos are about building the furnace and the pottery we had cooked in it. Pottery are replicas of 10th - 9th century b.C. Italian ones.
The furnace worked well, and we used it 3 times. Numerous ware has been cooked in it, but unfortunately this experiment was fated to oblivion, because the place where we built the furnace is very far from our houses.

The video... http://www.youtube.com/user/Mauro0Sub0Fipsas?feature=mhee#p/u/0/JpG8grBqyFE

Pics!

Pictures in this topic are courtesy of Doc. Fabio Fazzini!
Hope you like the stuff!
Mauro Fiorentini.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Pottery!
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 4:12pm

Good stuff, Mauro.  Thanks for posting.

IP Logged

bestoftheworst
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2011 at 10:09pm

great work how did you sift the clay? i ask becuase clay has such large grains and also if you made bellows and an anvil/flat rock you have a forge

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 7:58am

Thanks guys!
We sifted the clay by using an iron sieve we actually used for washing archaeological findings - we built that furnace some 50 meters near the Roman town we were excavating at that time and we were lucky enough to already have enough tools for digging/building something.
By the way, if you're interesting in experimental archaeology applied to metal working, take a look at my forum http://ilferrochecanta.forumfree.it (spamming a bit  Grin ), you may find it interesting  Smiley
And, if you've something to show us, share it!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 12:56pm

My Italian isn't good, Mauro, but that looks like "the iron that sings". Sings when you whack it hard?

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 2:13pm

Your Italian is very good Thom, because it's exactly what it mean  Smiley
And yes, iron sings when I whack it, when I quench it, when I test it... it's its way to talk with me and its voice is a song for me  Smiley
Greetings, and thanks for visiting!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2011 at 10:20pm

That is pretty neat!  I do what is called pit firing but it really doesn't use a pit.  You build a fire, you place your to be fired pottery around it at some distance to prewarm.  When the fire burns down to coals, you rake them out in a circle an put the pots inside on pieces of broken pots.  If you set them on the ground, they will wick up enough moisture to crack when you fire them.  Then, you keep the fire burning very low, the clay I use has lots of impurities, as they bake out, the pots will turn dark, you keep the fire burning low until the pots start to get lighter.  When they are the color of dried mud, you start building the fire up until the pot is covered with fire and you keep it burning until the pots start glowing.  Then, you can let the fire burn down naturally or you can pull the pots out if you don't want any black on them.  Or, if you want them really black, you drop the glowing pot in a pile of leaves and cover it over.  You cannot let the leaves burst into flame or it will burn off part of your black coating.

Recently, I have just been using my electric kiln.  Lots easier.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 12:27pm

I wass just about to say what the heck is pottery doin here???  Cheesy  but its cool,  I myself would use wood utensils for campin or whatever,  like cups bowls etc...but pottery is awesome nonethless

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 3:06pm

Cheesy

Bill, we have used pit firing the last 15th of May, when we partecipated to a show about Iron Age cooking near Rome. I may have some pictures around... yes, here they are:

... the pit

... some of the stuff we cooked

... a little diorama we showed to the kids; labels describes the models, which are based on originals found in Region Emilia Romagna.

Making the pit took about one day (we had to build a forge and a furnace too), while the cooking itself took an entire day, a night, and the day after, during which we used 160 kilos of oak and olive wood.

Little, I'd like to use wooden tools for camping too, but I'm not that good in making them (I just begun by carving a cup and a spoon  Roll Eyes ). The fact is, that there're no evidences of wooden utensils in arcaheological diggings in my Region, while, for example, there're plenty of them in Northern Italy - while I have no original to reproduce, Northern Italy archaeologists can experiment reproductions based on a whole range of artifacts - like canoes, bows, cups, etc... from the Late Bronze Age!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 2:43pm

Now that is pit firing!  Mine is a very shallow lens shaped deprssion, not reall a pit.  Although, it does have a rim from the dirt that was raked up so I guess that it is technically a pit.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 9:09pm

Don't worry, we have archaeological marks that first pits were but scratches in the terrain, with a depth of few centimeters. They stored the pottery inside the perimeter and covered it with wood.
So your pit cooking is absolutely good  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:01am

Hallo!
We have developed interesting conversations about anthropomorphic pottery in a few days, so why don't we show what our cultures have made in the past?

Here are what Etruscans and Romans have been able to produce in a period that range from circa 500 b.C. to the birth of Christ:

Etruscan pottery: while the black one is actually a pot, the other was used for displaying ear rings, necklace, and other similar decorations.

Roman pottery: these were heads of sculptures made in clay rather than in stone; accordingly to Roman culture, these statues were intended to celebrate somebody's virtues or, more materialistically according to the period, somebody's role in the town.

Bill, Rockman, now it's your turn  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:02am

(sorry for the bad quality of the pictures above... taking pictures is not allowed inside Italian museums so I had to deactivate the flash  Angry )
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 1:37pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on Nov 24th, 2011 at 5:02am:
(sorry for the bad quality of the pictures above... taking pictures is not allowed inside Italian museums so I had to deactivate the flash  Angry )
Mauro.

The long shutter speed for low-light situations makes these shots very difficult. Two things will help. One, try to hold the camera extremely still, bracing your arm(s) against something or at least your body against a wall or railing. Two, get a camera with "anti-shake" built in. I assume a tripod is not an option.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2011 at 2:09pm

Thanks, but that was not my camera, it was my girflriend's.
I tried to stay still, but it seems it wasn't enough  Smiley
Are you interested in photography, Thom?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)