Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
beer bottle knapping? (Read 6822 times)
bestoftheworst
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

beer bottle knapping?
Nov 13th, 2011 at 10:36pm

I was thinking,if obsdian is just natural glass then why do we spend time and money to get obsidian when we could use glass.I was just wondering of any of you have tried this and what your results were.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: beer bottle knapping?
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 12:43am

You can make some beautiful points out of glass. Beer bottles work just find and you can get some really nice colors. Get plenty of bandaids, and wear eye protection. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 7:49am

Some of us did try that, go check PRIMITIVE KNIVES topic  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 12:38pm

bigkahuna wrote on Nov 14th, 2011 at 12:43am:
Get plenty of bandaids, and wear eye protection. Grin

Aye, I don't have much trouble when I work flint, but I cut my hands all the time on glass.  People look at you like this  Huh when you have six bandades on your hands.

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 1:06pm

Just to make the knappers (what a fun word) here jealous, I know where to find big chunks of obsidian...

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 3:34pm

I admit to a love/hate relationship with glass and obsidian...it make beautiful points but I cut the snit out of my hands when I work it.  Also, when you get a sliver in a cut, you won't be able to see it so you have to feel for it with the tip of you knife when you dig it out.  And you have to dig it out, otherwise it will keep digging deeper until it hits bone or until it comes out the other side of your finger.  And it hurts as it works its' way through.

Beer bottle bottoms are thin and have a hump in the middle.  Older beer bottles have a flat bottom and are thicker and make great hunting points.  It you like the brown glass for points, try to find a garbage dump from the 60's back.  Lots of large colored glass bottles, this sort of predates the use of plastic bottles, the bottoms are usually flat and thick.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 9:54pm

Quote:
Just to make the knappers (what a fun word) here jealous, I know where to find big chunks of obsidian...

Tongue  I am jealous,  but I can just as easily go to a dump and find some porcelain  Smiley its almost like chert I have heard

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:33am

I hate getting glass slivers in my hand. I started wearing a leather glove on the hand that holds the piece being worked on. This has helped dramatically.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 4:31am

Old tube TVs have thick glass screens that are perfect for knapping.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2011 at 2:28am

I knap glass almost exclusively, mostly bottle glass for that matter.  I make small points from the bases and long slender ones from shards from the side of a bottle if the glass is thick enough in the bottle.
  The difference with bottle glass and obsidian or flint is that you start by striking off a large flake with obsidian or flint and working that into a point, with bottle glass the base or shard from the side is your flake and you flake that down further to make your point, and the a flake looks nothing like a shard or bottle base so your technique is a little different but basically the same.
  Give it a try and compare the two, you will soon see what I mean.  If you can try to find some info on Ishi, last of tha Yahi indians of the Yana peoples of northern california.  He made many points from both obsidian and bottle glass, as well as plate glass and old glass insulators from telephone poles.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 1:47pm

i know this is a little off topic but did'nt use to be a stickied topic with a link some knapping stuff?

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 11:35pm

I have a thick piece of leather with a hole cut for my thumb for when I'm pressure flaking. So far I haven't had to dig any flecks of glass out of anything. I also have a piece of closed cell foam with a notch in it. I put the piece I'm working on on top of that and flake into the v. Seems to work quite well.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Paleoarts
Interfector Viris Spurii

it don't mean a thing
if you aint got that
sling!

oceanside, CA
Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 1:06am

just as the quality and texture of natural obsidian varies widely, the same holds true with man made glass. there's glass that lends itself to knapping and some that doesn't. the best i've found so far is an art glass from the Blenko company. you can find large chunks of slag glass at most landscape supply retailers as well as large glass tile and brick. if you just want to make small bird points then bottles and window glass will suffice, though both tend to be at the lower end as far as quality goes.

visit me at www.paleoarts.net and my new gallery at www.flintknappers.com

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 11:25am

Try some Baileys Rum bottle glass, the base is huge and the glass itself is extremely hard, it makes it a bit brittle but it makes a black point with a very sharp edge, you would swear it was a type of obsidian.  Just go down to your local bottle depot and ask them if you can buy a few bottles off of them, they will let you sort through the bins of bottles and pick out what you like, look for flat bases that are thick.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

ArchaeoMan
Tiro

ubi dubium ibi libertas

Manhattan, KS
Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 5:01pm

If you put a large nail or a bolt in the bottle and shake it (preferably over a trashcan), the base of the bottle will usually (~75%) fall out intact. I haven't used the side glass before, but mostly use beer bottles, with a thicker glass such as in wine or liquor bottles that should work fairly well. Even among modern beer bottles there is some variation as to bottle thickness and concavity. Excessive designs on the bottle base also seem to complicate knapping. In short, keep drinking till you find a brand that works for you!

I've found that using a scrap of leather in the holding hand does help a lot, just make sure to brush it off frequently if you are going to be impacting the leather with your striking hand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)