Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
How, Where, and How Often do you carry a Sling? (Read 13345 times)
xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: How, Where, and How Often do you carry a Sling
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 9:50pm

i only carry a sling when i'm going somewhere i know i can sling. my pockets are pretty tight, and i my EDC while not so much, doesn't allow much more in my pockets. plus i'm more likely to use my EDC then to use a sling.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Mad Scientist
Tiro

sli[ch331]i[ch331] [ch633]oks!

Sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha
Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 11:30pm

xxkid123 wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 9:50pm:
i only carry a sling when i'm going somewhere i know i can sling. my pockets are pretty tight, and i my EDC while not so much, doesn't allow much more in my pockets. plus i'm more likely to use my EDC then to use a sling.

what does EDC mean here? acronymfinder says 'Every Day Carry', but that does not quite make sense with
that sentence.

i almost always carry an mason-line apache sling with the strings wrapped up in the pouch,
as well as a 24" mason-line rockman.
i sometimes also carry a  couple of jute slings, currently a couple 24" and 28" balaeric type split-pouch slings.

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either.&&Albert Einstein &&"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #17 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 11:40pm

Mad Scientist wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 11:30pm:
xxkid123 wrote on Nov 11th, 2011 at 9:50pm:

what does EDC mean here? acronymfinder says 'Every Day Carry', but that does not quite make sense with
that sentence.

i almost always carry an mason-line apache sling with the strings wrapped up in the pouch,
as well as a 24" mason-line rockman.
i sometimes also carry a  couple of jute slings, currently a couple 24" and 28" balaeric type split-pouch slings.

EDC does mean every day carry, although it is actually somewhat of a hobby and actual activity. basically it's a philosophy that it's better to have something and not need it, then to not have it and need it. with that in mind, EDC'ers carry a lot of stuff they might need or not need, sometimes up to 10 pounds ranging from survival kits to medical packs to toiletries, because you never know right? anyways, i persoanlly prefer carrying essentials- knife (when legal), flash light, pen, phone, earbuds, wallet, keys, duct tape, and some cord.

take a look at this for more http://edcforums.com/

i fit all of it in my pockets, and it is perfect, but my slings don't are a bit large. i've tried it as a belt, but i don't like it.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Mad Scientist
Tiro

sli[ch331]i[ch331] [ch633]oks!

Sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha
Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 12:12am

that looks familiar... i tend to carry a lot in my pockets, for about that reason.
also, something comes to mind about the feeling of power that comes with saving the
day with an item other people think you strange for carrying--my brother thinks it was
a quote in someones signature on a forum somewhere.

i usually carry a couple of usefull bits of metal(straightened out collander handle, short found rod), knives, small string and some rope, pen & notepad,
string,lighter,wire, paper clips, fishhooks, etc. in a belt pouch.
large pockets are my friend Smiley

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either.&&Albert Einstein &&"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 12:17am

Mad Scientist wrote on Nov 12th, 2011 at 12:12am:
that looks familiar... i tend to carry a lot in my pockets, for about that reason.
also, something comes to mind about the feeling of power that comes with saving the
day with an item other people think you strange for carrying--my brother thinks it was
a quote in someones signature on a forum somewhere.

i usually carry a couple of usefull bits of metal(straightened out collander handle, short found rod), knives, small string and some rope, pen & notepad,
string,lighter,wire, paper clips, fishhooks, etc. in a belt pouch.
large pockets are my friend Smiley

yep, pretty much.

i don't have a belt pouch since i go to school and people tend to give you funny looks. and my school has some shady folks...and it doesn't look good when you have a large pack of goods with you...

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

DeeNewcum
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chicago, IL
Reply #20 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 10:02am

Mad Scientist wrote on Nov 12th, 2011 at 12:12am:
i tend to carry a lot in my pockets, for about that reason.
day with an item other people think you strange for carrying

I totally do that too.  I'm a knot girl, so I always have several lengths of paracord or shoelaces with me.  It's nice to know that I can make an improvised sling by tying a buntline hitch to a pop bottle neck (or similar weighted object).  This also functions as a meteor hammer.  It's nice that this is a weapon I can take anywhere, and it's something that someone wouldn't find even if they searched me.  (wait...  you can use a bit of string as a weapon??)

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

new to california
Reply #21 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 1:45pm

Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #22 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 8:39pm

It seems like I always have a sling in my pocket although this does get some strange looks when I pull one out of my lab coat. Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Gnimbly
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 8:25am

Mines always hanging off a front belt loop...let's everyone know I mean business Wink...I do love the fact that so many of us consider it a step above underwear on the list of "things to not leave home without" Cheesy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:44pm

I also like to fill my pockets.  Cargo pants rule.  Not all of my pants are cargo pants, but I wish they were.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #25 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 3:11pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 13th, 2011 at 2:44pm:
I also like to fill my pockets.  Cargo pants rule.  Not all of my pants are cargo pants, but I wish they were.

Ditto, all the way.  Last time I was looking for some replacement they had none, maybe they are out of fashion, don`t they think of us slingers at all.
Mine have seen lots of use, I stubbornly maintain and repair them as much as I can, but sometimes even I has to give in and buy a new pair.  
But I hate to throw away stuff before I really has to, because that makes me feel like a modern human being Cheesy
timann

IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:15am

Knaight wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:34am:
due to not finding a decent set up where I can braid one (I hang the finger loop and braid down, and currently lack something to hang it on.

i just braid the loop and then put it on one of my toes

i usaly carry which ever two or three slings im using in my left pocket
and cargo pants rule

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #27 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:26am

I always have at least three in the car.

IP Logged

Ulrica
Funditor

Fly, stone, fly

In the middle of Sweden
Reply #28 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 3:53pm

In my job-car I have a couple of slings and about 20 nice stones...

Today I promised Yurek I will try to carry one sling with me whenever I can. To be able to practice when I got a chance to.

BTW I also have a EDC-backpack with me. In there I have a lots of rope => easy to make a sling. Just need a stone or two in there too....

May the stones go your way&&&&//Ulrica
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #29 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:50pm

Ulrica, now there are witnesses of your promise. You know what it means... I have to say that Ulrica also promised to sling everyday not only to carry a sling Wink

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Chris)