Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
How, Where, and How Often do you carry a Sling? (Read 13348 times)
fletch_man

When the Guns are Gone

How, Where, and How Often do you carry a Sling?
Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:20am

During the work week I usually carry 4.  2 of my woven ones because I stretch and work them while working at my desk.  Gutted woven paracord might be a little tight here, a little loose there,  I don't always get to shoot each one in so I manually "set" them.  And, some of my customers want to be the first one to throw with it.  I carry 2 of my Apache styles in my little ruck sack (I walk to work) in the side pockets with stones already in the pouches and layered so I can just pull them out. 

When I'm hiking (Arizona desert) I keep a woven one at hand usually in the side pocket of the ruck and I use another for a belt.  I keep 5 stones on me always in the ruck.  If I'm out shopping I keep an Apache style wound around a stone in my pocket.

How do you carry?

I am not The Word&&   I am the parchment on which&&      The Word is written

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Re: How, Where, and How Often do you carry a Sling
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:34am

Right now I am slingless, due to not finding a decent set up where I can braid one (I hang the finger loop and braid down, and currently lack something to hang it on. Normally, I bring slings to go slinging, and carry one with me whenever I plan to socialize with anyone I know who also slings, or am likely to be waiting in a large open place for some time.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 10:43am

I walk my Huskies twice a day.  That's when I do my slinging.  Also, if I'm going to be outdoors for a while for any reason, fishing, camping, whatever, I carry a coulpe of slings.  I usually carry at least two, one big and one small.  They can be any style, TS3, rockman, pj, seven strand, tape pouch, Apache,  seatbelt, Aussie pouch, etc..  Often, when I have the Kali Bag (back pack with mostly dog stuff) I carry a bag of extra slings that I made to give away  to the neighborhood kids.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 1:01pm

anywhere and everywhere at least one sling  Cool

IP Logged

Uncle Brian

Slinging Rocks!

New Zealand
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:25pm

As a newbie to this whole slinging thing I don't yet carry a sling with me every where i go but i do carry quite a few meters of paracord ! I plan to once i have enough skills to throw rocks safely until then I'll leave the tennis balls at home.
Aussie is sending me one, thanks again mate, and i will carry that with me all the time i think. Along with the stones once I'm no longer a danger to myself and anyone standing behind me.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 3:01pm

Always. Why would you not?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 5:23pm

Almost always. Some places it may be seen as anti-social. But there's always at least one in the car.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 7:08pm

Keep my 24" sling in my right front pocket, it' the only sling I use anymore. If I ever find some stones on the ground and they look like they are out of place I, uh... put them somewhere else Roll Eyes

It's not always in the front pocket, If I'm not taking my wallet I put it in my back pocket, If my pants don't fit right I use it as a belt, and sometimes I wear it as a wristband. But I almost never carry 2 slings, but I never leave my house without a sling.

(Honestly, I've brought my sling to weddings and other formal occasions.)

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 7:12pm

It's bow season here.  I carry a sling wrapped around my quiver and five fired clay shot in the bottom of my quiver.  I have thrown all five at a squirrel on a couple of occasions when I was leaving the woods in the morning.

IP Logged

Crow Hat
Descens

Slinging is an addiction.

Canada
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 7:17pm

Bow season here too, but I hunt with a compound bow, no place to put shot on my bow-mounted quiver.
I should get into traditional archery someday.

"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." - Tim McIlrath

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:48pm

i used to carry everyhere, not now, sometimes when i feel like it, i slide one into a pocket.

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 8:15am

Crow Hat I know what you mean sometimes that rock would just look better way over there.

It's bow season here too, my first, hunting with an osage short bow doesn't allow for a whole lot of variables learned a ton though. Unfortunately they really screwed up here in PA cause the peak of the rut is the last day of buck/doe archery and then the next week is just doe and then it's deer armegedon when rifle season comes around after Thanksgiving. But by the time rifle actually comes the rut will be dieng down. During this time of year the deer are moving more but are less consistent so finding them is ususally the tough part. I ususally either stalk or sit in a ground blind between a corn field and their bedding and on weds I saw 7-8 deer several of which were bucks but they were out of range for my my primitve bow, so I set up a ground blind in the same spot they were yesterday and nothing.

I used to carry 2 slings, one small and one large, but then I just figured I could just make a medim size sling and carry that, so that's what I do. 26in thick cords medium/large leather pouch big enough for tennis balls. I carry it hunting too but just haven't had tome to hunt small game too. And I ususally carry it in my left cargo pocket or if I am wearing jeans then my back pocket.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Wiegieboard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 8:56am

I keep one in my bags top pocket, slinging when I'm out in the fields.

IP Logged

johnwayne11
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 11:30am

Usually I get to go to sway straps, and a bag with me when I plan to socialize with someone I know who also slings, or that I'll probably be waiting in a large open space at any time.

BBCode Link editted out of the signature by Masiakasaurus.

IP Logged

Liberty dog
Funditor

mobile pocket artillery

south carolina, usa
Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 9:44pm

When I'm hiking (Arizona desert) I keep a woven one at hand usually in the side pocket of the ruck and I use another for a belt.  I keep 5 stones on me always in the ruck.  If I'm out shopping I keep an Apache style wound around a stone in my pocket.

always in my left front pocket, with one smooth stone...you never know when you might need it Wink

where in AZ are you located?.......im near Kingman

illumination through target annihilation&&&&moving continents one rock at a time&&&&my sling aches with inaction&&&&hit.....run....hide......the Highland way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)