Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Kusari Fundo (Read 12182 times)
RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Kusari Fundo
Nov 6th, 2011 at 4:12pm

Caution!!!!  Accidents with this weapon can be as dangerous to the beginner user as the sling!!!!

The Kusari fundo is a samuri/ninjitsu weapon.  We practiced with this in my ninjutsu class.   They're like a bola except that they are used as a striking, choking and grappling weapons.  Although I'll test it to see if it could be used as a bola.

I made one with a steel chain with a 90 pound strength.  The length is 31 inches (the length of my favorite sling)  I attached 2 small Master Locks on either ends.  They are the smaller kind (9/16" / 14mm) (1 inch and 1/8 wide).  One lock seems to weigh about 3 ounces. I attached them to the chain with a 1/8 inch caribeener / quick link.  They can be made much cheaper with rope and fishing weights, nuts and bolts, or anything else with a bit of heft.

I practiced on a milk jug attached to a tree limb and it packs a heck of a wallop.  Just be careful when it swings back towards you!!!

Here's a picture of it disassembled.  Just attach the locks at the ends like a bola.  I'll try to find a decent youtube video of it in use.

IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Re: Kusari Fundo
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 4:25pm

LOL I saw one on sale for $50.00.

Practice ones are made of a heavy rope with knots at the ends. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusari-fundo

Heres a youtube video that's only a little bit cheesy  Smiley.  It's not my video, but I can attest that the shattering of the coconut is real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9UJdL2mJ04

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 7:44am

I've thought about making something like this as an anti-pit bull weapon for when I'm walking the Huskies.  I can absolutely see how such a weapon could be extremely useful in a situation.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 9:58am

I think you would be better off with a sturdy staff Ratman (a loaded one if you need just that little extra impact...).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:31am

lol it's a weighted chain - who knew it had a name ?
made something like that many years ago.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 12:23pm

Kusari Fundo is just Japanese for chain with weights.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:02pm

A simple leather belt with a big buckle will give a fair smack too Wink

but this chain seems alot more effective, looks like a good self defense weapon wouldnt want to get smacked with that.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:05pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Nov 7th, 2011 at 1:02pm:
A simple leather belt with a big buckle will give a fair smack too Wink

More than just a fair smack, there was a guy in my town who died after getting hit in the head by a belt buckle in a fight.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 2:29pm

Quote:
I think you would be better off with a sturdy staff Ratman (a loaded one if you need just that little extra impact...).

That's what I normally do, kuggur.  Most of the time I carry a nice, stout shovel handle.  It works fine unless it's raining hard.  Then I like to carry an umbrella.  It's very hard to manage two rambunctious Huskies, an umbrella, and a walking stick at the same time.  I need something I can either put in my pocket or wear around my neck on those rainy days.  ... and no, I'm not being paranoid.  Three times in the six years I've had Kali I've had to rescue her from attacks by larger dogs.. two Pit Bulls and one large, mean, Yellow Lab mix.  She does well against dogs her own size, but she's only fifty pounds.  No one has bothered us yet when Odin is with us but for some reason he rarely goes on the night walk with us.  He's usually good for the morning only.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 4:19pm

Oh I know you are not paranoid (in this matter that is Wink). I was wondering what lonely pit bull would have the balls to bother a grown man accompanied by two huskies. A crazy one probably, and they are the worst...
I hadn´t considered umbrella´s, we don´t don them here; the rain usually comes in horizontally here, and at high speed...
You probably heard about that self defense umbrella (was it cold steel that markets it?), dunno what kind of punch it packs.
So i´d still vote for the staff, and rain clothing... I also own an ash walking stick that was a shovel handle in a previous life, now that thing is a pit bull stopper...
I think these kind of weapons as mentioned in the opening post are just too awkward to be wielded by someone who didn´t have extensive training with it, too dangerous for the user...

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 8:02pm

Very similar is the "Manriki", again weights with a chain, but the weights are usually long enough to use in the hand as a striking weapon similar to a yawara stick.

Note that these qualify in all states as a "slung shot" type of weapon, and carrying would be of very dubious legality.

Some years ago, in one of the martial arts magazines, a fellow showed his idea for what he called a "Manri-key".  Essentially the same as above, but substitute a wad of old keys on a split-ring for the padlocks.
Works about the same, but the keys might provide a little more legality.... "Really officer, I got a lot of locks to keep track of..."

Caution... Practicing with these flexible weapons can be very hazardous!

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 8:56pm

A padlock in a handkerchief works just as well. Dont ask me how I know this. Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

RJB

Slinging Rocks!

Western North Carolina
Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 9:28pm

Bikewer wrote on Nov 7th, 2011 at 8:02pm:
Very similar is the "Manriki", again weights with a chain, but the weights are usually long enough to use in the hand as a striking weapon similar to a yawara stick.

I saw one someone made from crescent wrenches.  With the ends of the wrench sticking out from a fist, it makes another weapon.

Someone I know had to get stitches in the head when a weight bounced off a board and smacked.  It like when they say a blade cuts both ways.

Quote:
Note that these qualify in all states as a "slung shot" type of weapon, and carrying would be of very dubious legality.

Very true.  If the links are small enough you may be able to say its a necklace.  I personally don't carry this.  I just like playing with stuff like this at home.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 7:36am

You can make these kinds of weapons a lot of ways but like nunchucks unless you train often and for awhile you have a pretty good chance of hurting your self.  Smiley

I live in "the country" but "in case I need it" I carry a knife that I never use other than for it's intened purpose (SD) with the CS Spartan in the warm season or the CS Recon Tanto in Sai Mai III. I know a guy down south that carries a shambok down his pantleg when he walks his dog which alows for freedom of movement with his hands. You might be able to kill something with it (definitly a bird or snake but probably not a large dog) but you really only need to hit whatever you need to once.Ppolice officers in South africa used them for riots. It usually allows for a large amount of pain but won't break any major bones. Not sure what the rules are in the UK but they are legal in pretty much all of the US. Plus you are much less likly to hit your self with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQzC877O6Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6e843u9qaU&feature=related

Best option comes usually in 38 special or 45. though.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 9:47am

Reminds me...Years ago, I met an Okinawan karate instructor.  This was back in the early 80s when pendants were a big fashion item.  This guy had a very handsome one, a sort of "iron cross" on a stout chain, done in stainless steel.
I mentioned something about it, and he proceeded to pull it apart, revealing that the cross was in two sections, almost invisibly joined by two cleverly-machined pins.
Each half made one of the weights of a manriki.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris)