Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Hardening leather: your method! (Read 16052 times)
Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Hardening leather: your method!
Nov 5th, 2011 at 11:38am

Hi there people!
I'm preparing an Early Iron Age panoplia (which I'll show you soon, it's in its final stages), and defensive parts of it are made out of leather.
These are a couple of greaves, a body cuirass and a helmet.
While greaves will be left unhardened, and cuirass has already been hardened with bee wax, I'm now going to harden the helmet too.
The fact is, that this panoplia is a good occasion to test different methods for hardening leather.

These are the methods I know: using bee wax, using hot water (in different ways) and using heat.

While bee wax has proven to be the better way (the cuirass is now resistant to both moderate blows and rain), heat has proven to be the worst, for it had not changed the helmet's leather in any way.

J. Coles ("Experimental archaeology") suggest that you can harden your leather either by immersing it in hot water (80° C - 176° F) for about 30 seconds, or by scattering boiling water on it. While the second way does harden the leather, but does not make it resistant to the rain, the first method seem to give some results (not as the bee wax does), but it also sound of complex realization (I doubt that in the Early Iron Age people did know when the water reached exactly 80° C).

So we have:
- bee wax (successfully tested),
- heat (unsuccessfully tested),
- immersion in 80° C water (could work, not tested yet),
- using boiling water (doesn't seem a valid method, not tested yet).

What do you know about hardening leather?
Do you know any other method?
Give your contribution!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hardening leather: your method!
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 11:48am

I dont know what method you had used for the heat testing, but a heat technique that I had heard was to use hot sand. It was a while back I heard it, but it involved bending the leather into shape (for a helmet piece for example) and then packing the sand around it tightly. The sand can hold the heat well and moulds to the shape, and effectively bakes it like you do clay.

Another technique I heard recently which it sounds like you have already tried is to boil it in wax. Good to hear that it was so succesful, but to make something like a cuirass, how difficult would it be to get that much wax?

Will be great to see pictures! Best of luck!

Nemo

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 12:19pm

Hallo nemo, thanks for the quick answer!
I didn't know about sand, it sounds like a good method! It surely intrigues me, I'll test it someday!
I just put the helmet in a kiln, at about 240°C (540° F I think) for 2 minutes, as suggested by J. Coles in his "Experimental archaeology", but it didn't work, nor that seem to be a method available about 2600 years ago  Huh

About your question: first of all, cuirass has been made using different leather than the one used for helmet and greaves. While these are made out of belly's leather, cuirass was made using the back of a bull. It's naturally harder than the leather taken from the belly, but it's a precise choice: back leather is difficult to cut due to its strength, so it's better to use large pieces of it, where cuts are limited, than to work hard to get small sections of it (helmet is done with 6 big sections reinforced by 6 smaller ones, and a circular couple that hold them togheter at the top and at the base - while the cuirass is just 2 big pieces of leather with 5 smaller pieces to protect the groin).

Said that, you're right, I used boiling wax, but didn't need that much.
You put some wax in a pot, wait it for boiling, and sprinkle the liquid wax on the cuirass using a brush, or a wooden spatula.
It saves a lot of wax, that you can use for sprinkling the cuirass again and again - even if it's not the amount of wax that hardens it, but how you sprinkle it (the more uniformly, the better).

More information about this panoplia will come on another topic, don't worry  Wink
Greetings, and thanks again!
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 4:30pm

It's 9.25 PM here, and I just tried boiling water.

I took a big pot, filled it with water and put on fire; as the water boiled, I put a smaller pot inside the helmet and put the whole thing in.
The water suddenly become brown, and the helmet begun to contract; luckily the smaller pot prevented it to contract too much.

I took the helmet in the water for 30 seconds, then put it out and immersed it again for two more times - 30 seconds each.

The whole thing took a few minutes, and at 7.45 PM I put the helmet outside the window.
There's a strong wind this evening which's swiftly drying the leather; I just rotate the pot from time to time to expose the whole surface of the helmet to the wind.
It seem to have hardened, even if not as well as the cuirass did after having been wax treated.

I'll update with the latest news, meanwhile I'd like to read your ideas!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 12:44pm

My only experience is with raw goat hide which i wanted to soak in warm water so after that i mount it on a drum's frame.The hide was soaking in water in a vessel put on the fire.I was having breakfast while chatting with others,so the water come close to boiling when i reacted that it got too warm Cheesy The hide shrunk into an incredibly small,creased piece of hide.It was exhaustingly difficult to put it on the frame,it got very elastic,strechy but as it  shrunk so much it was hard to unstrech it.
I think the heat makes it contract so that's what it's making it harder,as it gets thicker and denser.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 1:08pm

i saw a something on the web before. you take your leather and moisten it, so that it's slightly moldable and moist, but not wet. then place it in a bag and put it in your refrigerator overnight. remove, and rapidly dehydrate it in 150-180 degree area over a few minutes. i don't know if it actually hardens leather, or just makes it tougher and stiffer, as it was meant for some sort of pouch thing.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 1:13pm

I used to brush a piece of leather with melted bee wax and next to warm it under a gas cooker in order to get the leather soaked deeply and evenly.

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 1:23pm

Nice methods!

I've been watching my helmet from time to time since yesterday evening.
The helmet has become smaller, and very greasy at touch.
It has not dried yet.
I put it under a very powerful lamp twice, waiting about 8 hours between. After a few minutes, the helmet begun to smoke, and grease to boil.
The second time, small bubbles of grease did burst, they were red and very fragile as I touched them.
The whole thing looked like chicken's leather when you cook a chicken leg!
I scraped the sides of the helmet with a knife, putting the edge perpendicular to the sides, and I removed a lot of black/dark red grease.
The leather below was light red.
The helmet seem to have lost the hardness aquired with boiling water after the second lamp exposure  Sad

I put it under the lamp because I was hoping to dry it faster; I can just wait and see now.

Apparently, jlasud has done something similar to what I did; my helmet has narrowed a lot too, after being immersed in boiling water, its diameter is about 15% smaller than before.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 1:26pm

UPDATE:

I just examined the helmet and it has become incredibly hard  Shocked
I knocked on it with my fist and it sounds like wood.
It's still greasy by the way, perhaps a sand heating treatment (as nemo suggested) would have prevented this grease dispersion, since sand would have absorbed it. What do you think?

By the way, I'd like to make a drum, too, but the main impediment is to make the frame; jlasud, how did you obtain it?
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 1:41pm

ANOTHER UPDATE (am I bothering you or what?):

I sprinkled some salt on my helmet, I tought that since it works for drying ham and meat, it may work for leather too  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2011 at 9:04pm

Actually, I am following this.  I have heard of wetting the leather and forming it to a shape, letting it dry, then applying beeswax with heat to soak in the wax.  I have also read about the Plains Indians making their shields and breastplates from buffalo hide by steaming the green hide over a hole with red hot rocks and vegatation but the story was too vague to tell exactly how they did it.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 10:53am

Mauro,i've made my drum frame by bending and gluing 3 strips of laminated wood.I've used many clamps to hold it together while it was drying.My drum is a frame drum or shaman's drum and it's really powerful.By hitting very gently with the drum stick all the plates and windows start to wobble.It needs to be heated before use,as rawhide tends to soak air humidity in and it losens.If i heat it above a fire,it contracts and has a much bigger bass.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 2:31pm

Thanks!
That's exactly what I had in mind, but I was thinking of using some pine cortex for my frame - I recently found a log that was cut more than a year ago; its cortex came off easily, in 3 pieces, mantaining its curvature. I may try out as soon as I'll find some more leather!

About the helmet: I took it today, after having left it outside for a couple of days and night. The leather is now very hard, but the helmet has become too small for my head! It looks like a Jew kippah now, while it covered my ears before the hardening!
I'll keep it anyway, because I've no more leather to produce another one; I'll just add a pair of strings to tie it under my chin and hope that the helmet will deform a bit by using it  Roll Eyes

So this's what I did to the helmet:

2 baths on almost boiling water for about 30 seconds each;
2 days and nights of exposure to strong winds;
2 fast "cooking" under a very powerful lamp until the grease burst and the helmet smoke;
I put some salt on it for the whole last night.

I don't know which, but one or more of the above actions granted the hardening; the only thing that went wrong was the constriction of the entire helmet.
I'm going to post some pictures soon!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 4:58pm

Hallo people!

I hardened my helmet so much that it broke after a few blows!

Even if it's a bit frustrating, because I've spent so many hours waiting to see the results, this test has been interesting: I begun to hit the helmet with my forging hammer, without hesitating, using the same strength I would use against an opponent during a real battle.
The top of the helmet broke after 4 hits, it really splitted into pieces!
Leather is so hard that I had to use electronic screwdriver to practice holes in it!

I've already described the method I used for the helmet, so you'll find it in the above posts should you be interested.

I'm now thinking how protective would such a helmet have been: it resisted well, but then it splitted badly - even if I think that a single blow like the ones I tried is more than enough to kill or knock unconscious any opponent.

As soon as I'll get some new leather, I'll make another helmet, a better one - and will harden it with bee wax  Wink
Pics of my hypotethical Picenian panoplia are on the way!!!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

nemo
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:41pm

In relation to how useful the helmet would be, it is 4-5 hits better than nothing Tongue

Leather helmets always used to be the cheaper option and so will never do quite aswell as metal ones, but I agree 4 hits seems a little off. I have a few friends who use leather helmets in our Dark Age re-enactment and they have survived plenty of hits. The leather is solid, like wood as you said, but it has dents in it from where they have been hit hard, so unlike yours it didnt shatter but bent.
I will try to ask around to see how those ones where made, as they really are great quality leather helms, but I dont know how well they would stand up to sharp weapons, but Im pretty positive they could take any 1 handed swing fine and within reason most likely two handed swings (still wouldnt do your neck much good though lol)

Nemo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)