Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Interesting Prehistoric Hunting Article (Read 7567 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Interesting Prehistoric Hunting Article
Oct 23rd, 2011 at 7:58am

First North American Hunters 1,000 Years Earlier Than Previously Thought, Speared Mastodon Fossil Shows

ScienceDaily (Oct. 20, 2011) —   http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111020145054.htm

A new and astonishing chapter has been added to North American prehistory in regards to the first hunters and their hunt for the now extinct giant mammoth-like creatures -- the mastodons. Professor Eske Willerslev's team from the Centre for GeoGenetics, University of Copenhagen, has in collaboration with Michael Waters' team at the Center for the Study of the First Americans, University of Texas A&M, shown that the hunt for large mammals occurred at least 1,000 years before previously assumed.

A mastodon rib with the embedded bone projectile point. (A) Closeup view. (B) Reconstruction showing the bone point with the broken tip. The thin layer represents the exterior of the rib. (C) CT X-ray showing the long shaft of the point from the exterior to the interior of the rib. (D) The entire rib fragment with the embedded bone projectile point. (Credit: Image courtesy of University of Copenhagen)
This new study concludes that the first-known hunters in North America can now be dated back at least 14,000 years.

"I am sure that especially the Native Americans are pleased with the results of the study. It is further proof that humans have been present in North America for longer than previously believed. The "Clovis First" theory, which many scientists swore to just a few years back, has finally been buried with the conclusions of this study," says Professor Eske Willerslev, director of the Centre for GeoGenetics at the Natural History Museum of Denmark, University of Copenhagen.

Spearhead found in mastodon

It is the finding and analysis of a tip from a human-made projectile point (spearhead) gathered from the remains of a mastodon that is behind the rewriting of North American prehistory. The spearhead, which itself was carved out from a mastodon-bone, was found at the Manis site in the state of Washington when archaeologists excavated a mastodon in the late 1970s.

However, 30 years would pass before a team of researchers was able to put a date on the spearhead and establish the identity of both the bone and the spearhead that had been embedded into the rib of the defeated mastodon. This was done through, amongst other things, DNA analysis, protein sequencing, advanced computer technology, Carbon-14 dating as well as comparisons with other mastodon findings in North America, for instance in the state of Wisconsin.

Clovis culture challenged

The first traces of the hunt for mastodons in North America have previously been attributed the so-called Clovis culture. Clovis culture dates back approximately 13,000 years and is viewed as a type of common culture ancestral for all Native American tribes in North America.

"Our research now shows that other hunters were present at least 1,000 years prior to the Clovis culture. Therefore, it was not a sudden war or a quick slaughtering of the mastodons by the Clovis culture, which made the species disappear. We can now conclude that the hunt for the animals stretched out over a much longer period of time. At this time, however, we do not know if it was the man-made hunt for the mastodons, mammoths and other large animals from the so-called mega-fauna, which caused them to become extinct and disappear. Maybe the reason was something complete different, for instance the climate," states Professor Eske Willerslev.

The Road to America

It is no more than three years ago that Eske Willerslev and his research team established that the first traces of humans in North America are approximately 14,340 years old, and that the current Native Americans in the USA are descendants of these migrants who came from Asia. This was done using Carbon-14 dating and DNA analysis of human remains found in caves in the state of Oregon.

Professor Eske Willerslev has been able to add a new chapter to North American prehistory by mapping the now first-known hunters in this part of the world.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Interesting Prehistoric Hunting Article
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 8:03am

Having worked on similar digs, I learned that less than one percent of what was has been found. And a lot never will be. So our knowledge of the past is never finished.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 6:00pm

I don't know if the situation has improved, but for some years it was very difficult to any archaology at all here in the States.
Native Americans essentially declared that ANY artifact must have been placed there for ritual purposes.

There was an ugly court fight over Kenniwick. man, claimed by some tribe as an ancestor.

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 2:10am

Very interesting find, indeed. Thanks for sharing, K'jev.

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 6:29am

pretty cool !

Now all we need is the mastodon head with a concave indentation that could only have been made by a sling stone Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 11:18pm

I don't think even Mr. Boss could take out a Mastadon with a sling.  Very good post, kjev!

v

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 8:52am

Rat Man wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 11:18pm:
I don't think even Mr. Boss could take out a Mastadon with a sling.  Very good post, kjev!

Maybe if you got it to roar at you you and a bunc of other slings could sling inside his mouth and he would choke on the rocks, muhahah.

Seriously though I wasn't there but I have heard slings were used to distract them while the atlatl guys came up and threw their spears.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 10:59am

I don't think I'd care to "distract" a mastodon....   

Reminds me of the old joke... "What's that squishy stuff between the toes of an elephant?"   "Slow natives..."

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 4:21pm

As Dan said, I wasn't there, but I imagine hunting Mammoths and Mastodons was often a last resort before starvation.  I can think of many animals I'd much rather hunt, especially with Stone Age weapons.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2011 at 5:26pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 8th, 2011 at 4:21pm:
As Dan said, I wasn't there, but I imagine hunting Mammoths and Mastodons was often a last resort before starvation.  I can think of many animals I'd much rather hunt, especially with Stone Age weapons.  

I think you seriously underestimate those people Ratman...

IP Logged

rockslingerboy2

Slinging Rocks!

Ireland
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 5:12pm

Mammoths and Mastodons would have been very economical to hunt, that's a shitload of food for one kill, albeit a very difficult kill

IP Logged

leadrocks

stay simple. serve god.
live free.

custer city, oklahoma
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 7:37pm

i think it probably was more common to run large game off of a cliff during the stone age than to try to hunt them with weapons. very cool find though.

'Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety&&Will find that they will inherit neither'&&--Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 10:34pm

Just look to modern elephant spear hunting in Africa for an example of how they could have hunted mastodons. Neither clean nor humane, but effective.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 8:08am

The appropiate term is "pin cushion"  Wink. And as rock slinger boy 2 said, it's very econmical espicialy with the larger tribes. smaller tribes were ususaly okay with taking deer, elk, and bison but when you have to feed the equivelent of a small village bringing in a couple tons of meat after one days hunting is usually a good thing. (hunting is one of the reasons there aren't any mastadons now, well there might be but it's unlikley Wink it would be a universal statement if I said there weren't any and one that I cannot prove. )

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Knaight
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Tennis Balls!

Colorado
Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 9:38am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 10:34pm:
Just look to modern elephant spear hunting in Africa for an example of how they could have hunted mastodons. Neither clean nor humane, but effective.

That said, much of where elephants are in Africa is short certain useful terrain features. Such as nice large cliffs, which might have been used in a way similar to Native American bison hunting strategies seen in the U.S. Great Plains area.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)