Send Topic Print
Blowgun (Read 9681 times)
Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Blowgun
Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:47am

Any ideas as to i could the to make one
and also any ideas as to how make some good darts without having to go buy skewers and ways to fletch them without cones

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Blowgun
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 1:45pm

Arthur the great wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 11:47am:
Any ideas as to i could the to make one
and also any ideas as to how make some good darts without having to go buy skewers and ways to fletch them without cones

Clip lengths of wire coat hanger ....dart
fletch with disks of foam/paper/leather
make cones from paper ....
section of pvc for tube 1/2 in id
or split wood carve channel and glue together then sand interior smooth..

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 1:57pm

PVC tubing is dead easy.    So is easily-obtainable copper or aluminum tubing.  Any hardware store....
You can fabricate a mouthpiece if desired, but none is actually necessary.

Darts... As stated, any heavy wire works fine.    Cones from paper or duct tape seal very well and are perhaps the most efficient, but a bit of twine wrapping anything that will seal the bore works well.
Bits of dacron batting stolen from an old couch cushion or pillow should work fine.

IP Logged

rockslingerboy2

Slinging Rocks!

Ireland
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 4:20pm

You can fletch darts with thistle down by first removing the seeds by flicking them off with your finger and then doing a spiral wrap down along the shaft with thread, while gradually feeding the down along the shaft, it's tricky to do, youtube has a video of it being done..

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:02am

last few times I've looked for tutorials on fletching like that I've come up empty  Embarrassed. If you have a specific video in mind a link would be greatly appreciated  Cool

For the shaft, bamboo skewers also work very well, and since they are lighter they have a flatter trajectory.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:54am

When I was a young lad back in the 60s, I used to use my fly-tying skills to make blowgun darts.
I had all kinds of fur laying around; squirrel tail, deer-hair, deer tail, etc.
All you had to do was...Just like tying flies, a few wraps of thread (waxed is best...Beeswax) around the shaft, then apply a suitable hunk of hair or fur and wrap one end tight.  A drop of liquid glue or laquer and you're done.

The same sorts of projectiles work well for home-made air-guns.   One guy on YouTube shows how to make dart cones out of old milk jugs.
You heat the plastic material with a blowtorch or propane torch (carefully!) till it goes "clear".  Then, you can poke the end of a plumb-bob into the soft plastic and it makes a cone-shaped indentation.
You can make a bunch of these on each side of a gallon jug.
When the plastic cools, you cut them out, fix a nail or wire into the small end with hot glue, then drop the almost-done dart into a tube the size of your barrel.
mark the spot where it stops with a marker and cut off there... You have a high-quality air-sealing dart.

IP Logged

rockslingerboy2

Slinging Rocks!

Ireland
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 2:12pm

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 3:33pm

excellent vids, thanks!

As the subject in general, I'd endorse copper or aluminum tubing if you're going with less natural materials. I tried PVC and Electrical Conduit, but the PVC bends way too much, and the Electrical conduit is heavy, and has slight issues with bending as well.  PVC works fine but only for very short blowguns, if you're talking 5-7 feet, I'd try the copper or aluminum.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 12:18am

btw, try to keep the blowgun long, and make sure the darts are tight in the tubing- they shouldn't be too tight, but should be tight enough so that the darts can't slide down the tube on gravity alone. i prefer to go with cones soaked in glue for simplicity (glue is for waterproofing and durability). shafts can be bamboo skewers. some people like to add a head on to it using superglue and a small exacto blade.

btw, if all else fails for tubing material, try a hollow handle from a plastic broom or something. just make sure it's clean.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:04pm

www.blowgun.lefora.com i got started there, they are really nice guys

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Arthur the great
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:39pm

well i got five darts made from a wire coat hanger and six from a couple plastic one cause i dont have skewers, chopstacks or dowels right now

but i havent tested them or even trimmed  because i left blowpipe at my grand parents and i don,t want to use any more of my dad pipe

any way i was wondering someone would make darts like the commanche did

they used just wood and a bit thistle down i think

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 8:13pm

Arthur the great wrote on Oct 26th, 2011 at 7:39pm:
well i got five darts made from a wire coat hanger and six from a couple plastic one cause i dont have skewers, chopstacks or dowels right now

but i havent tested them or even trimmed  because i left blowpipe at my grand parents and i don,t want to use any more of my dad pipe

any way i was wondering someone would make darts like the commanche did

they used just wood and a bit thistle down i think

i've seen a similar method used by native americans in south america. they took long poisoned splinters and cotton. when they were ready to shoot they would select a splinter and a swab of cotton. the cotton would be tightly wrapped around the end and then placed in the blow gun.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

bestoftheworst
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 11:24am

what you could do is what i do and take old nails (small preferably) and put those into paper cones for the dart and the blowgun well 1/2 inch cpvc works amazingly but will bend slightly in longer lengths

sorry if this is a necr it seamed as this would be considered adding something substantal so there are my 2 cents about this

IP Logged

ahigalpoe
Ex Member

Whats up, few questions for everyone
Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:52am

truth about abs program vz4jy2dxkhpbkwll9px4

IP Logged

ahigalpoe
Ex Member

Whats up, few questions when you get time
Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:53am

the best sports betting systems 9yrrqwvn86hjb5lyiwu2

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man)