Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tanning with tea? (Read 12274 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

Tanning with tea?
Oct 17th, 2011 at 12:26am

I have a love of tea.  While I prefer the white, green, and oolong varieties (particularly oolong), I have been reading up on black teas.  Black tea contains the highest amount of tannins of any tea. This has made me wonder if one could use black tea to tan leather?  What do you guys think?

(btw, if you try tea, get loose leaf rather than bagged; it is SO much better.  Also, look up how to brew it properly.  If you don't, you are wasting your tea, and will likely brew a bitter cup if it is anything but black tea...)

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

greencheapsk8
Descens

Just in it for the fire!

Taranaki, New Zealand
Re: Tanning with tea?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 1:51am

I guess so, but you may have to concentrate the tannin solution (or tea as you call it Grin )
to have any effect on your leather

Rivers of silver, that is my dream.&&Glowing, twisting, snaking, flowing.&&Cooling and burning, shrinking and melting.&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 6:31am

Yes, you can, but it takes a while. Basically, it's the same process as oak bark tanning, where you submerge the hide in a strong solution solution of the tea, leaves and all. Works best on small hides, and you will lose any hair from the animal.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

cuallaidh
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

London, ON, Canada
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 9:12am

Interesting thought, never would have considered tanning with Tea, but it does make sense.

I can play at Tafl,&&Nine skills I know,&&Rarely forget I the runes,&&I know of books and smithing,&&I know how to slide on skis,&&Shoot and row, well enough;&&Each of two arts I know,&&Harp-playing and speaking poetry.
IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 9:11pm

Well assuming the the tannin in tea is the same as the tannin in acorns which destroys the bile in your liver (or somthing like that). so you would have to get that tea very rich, but definitly concievable.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 6:28am

It's the same

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 6:53am

Start saving your teabags then!  Wink

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 9:05am

pardon my ignorance, but is there a tangible difference between using the animal's brain to tan its hide as opposed to using oak bark or tea?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:38am

Adding one to a cup of boiling water tastes a lot better than the other. Grin

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

cuallaidh
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

London, ON, Canada
Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 8:08am

snowcelt wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 10:38am:
Adding one to a cup of boiling water tastes a lot better than the other. Grin

ROTFLMAO.... nice one snowcelt... you had me actually laughing at work, luckily I'm the first one in and no one saw Cheesy

I can play at Tafl,&&Nine skills I know,&&Rarely forget I the runes,&&I know of books and smithing,&&I know how to slide on skis,&&Shoot and row, well enough;&&Each of two arts I know,&&Harp-playing and speaking poetry.
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 12:25pm

You have never tried brain tanning in hot weather, have you?  Bill

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:33pm

Indeed I have not. Sadly, all my knowledge of tanning is academic. Hence the "pardon my ignorance" part of my query. Right now I live in NYC, not a whole lot of opportunities for tanning here.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

HurlinThom
Interfector Viris Spurii

Leverage artillerist

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 4:27pm

Bill Skinner wrote on Oct 19th, 2011 at 12:25pm:
You have never tried brain tanning in hot weather, have you?  Bill

Not sure if I get this one right. Could be running around without a hat on, tanning one's own brain, or could be that tanning in hot weather using brains gets a mite fragrant.

When all is said and done more will have been said than done.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 8:30pm

If you have a freezer, it's not too bad.  First you put the hide in a frame, let it dry, then scrape the meat, fat and membrane from the inner side of the hide.  That takes about a day and a half.  Then you soak it in water with some lime if you have it for three days.  You really want to find some lime.  Then you scrape the hair off.  That takes a couple of hours.  Then you let it partialy dry overnight and the next day you get those brains, you know, the ones that have been sitting in a bucket of water for the last five days, mix the brains up until it is just a soupy liquid and rub them into the hide.  Then you keep working the hide by stretching  and rubbing  until it is dry.  They you make a cone about three feet off the ground (1m) and build a very small, very smoky fire under the hide.  The more you smoke it, the more oils it will absorb and the softer and more waterproof it will get.  The smoke also gets rid of the smell of the brains.  When you wear it, it will soak up the oils from your skin and lose all the smells except the smoky one.

It's not too bad, but it's not somethig I want to repeat, either.  Next time, I got some lime and froze the brains, there wasn't very much smell then. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris)