Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
World Standards of Slinging (Read 41954 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: World Standards of Slinging
Reply #30 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 10:21am

I do not understand the excitement. There is already a very good standardised aim. The Balearic.

How many would of them it hit with 20 shots more than 5x???? On 20 m of distance.

If one wanted one can also make aims for the hunting. I recommend aims from metal. These should tip over with a hit.

On this metal of aims one can stick on pictures. Hare, Wolf, roe deer zb.

One must not invent the wheel once again. There is already a very good system.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

longwinger
Descens

Mustang, Oklahoma
Reply #31 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 7:42am

For a person serious about slinging competition, prior to an event, he/she would set up their own target range and practice. I can't imagine traveling any distance at all and not having a feel for what I would be doing.

For world wide competition, it will have to be done on the honor system, everyone sets up their own range and target, no restrictions on sling, cords, pouch, or projectile.

Report your results, description of your weapon/sling, describe ammo, anounce who is best, and what worked best.

How far would you travel for competion?

If there is not enough interest to compete on this level, how would more restrictions and travel to competion site make it more attractive to anyone?

Oscar

I do not understand the excitement. There is already a very good standardised aim. The Balearic.

How many would of them it hit with 20 shots more than 5x???? On 20 m of distance.

If one wanted one can also make aims for the hunting. I recommend aims from metal. These should tip over with a hit.

On this metal of aims one can stick on pictures. Hare, Wolf, roe deer zb.

One must not invent the wheel once again. There is already a very good system.

[/quote]

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #32 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 7:16pm

I have to echo Whip Artist, Rat Man and Paleo et al...

Telling people what type, length of sling, how many times they have to rotate the sling etc is just limiting for no good reason that I can see. If one type of slinging style is dominating then people will either learn that style to compete with or they will just have to get better with their chosen style.

As far as being stuck using the Balearic target...no thanks.  I strongly agree with Whip Artist in that sense. No one on this forum or on youtube have even come close to tapping the limits of sling accuracy. We have all different levels of skill on this forum and on youtube but not a single master among either of those sites. They are out there, they just have better things to do than dink around on the 'net...
And the Balearic target really limits one's growth in that area IMO. The larger your target, the more things you can do wrong and still hit it. I do not sling at a Balearic target for the same reason I don't use my father-in-law's barn for a target. 'Nuff said.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #33 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 2:04am

Even though I don't use one I like the concept of the Balearic target. The auditory feedback of "clang", "thud" or nothing makes scoring easy and unambiguous. And if I was ever to get good enough to where I was hearing only clangs I could then reduce the size of the centre ring.

Anyway, the difficulty in having a World Standard Competition is not going to be deciding on the rules, it's going to be getting enough people interested to even have a competition.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #34 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 8:57am

I`d like the target to be like the balearic, but with a smaller bullseye in the middle(making a third sound, I guess).

In this day and age, I think the number of people willing to participate in a sport where it may take months and years to be reasonably good, is tiny- and dwindling.

No, leave the slinging to the few, odd individuals that is backward enough to bother with it, is what I think:D
timann

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #35 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:19am

FWIW, as I'm rereading the above post it sounds a bit harsh. To clarify a bit, I like the idea of audible sounds for hits. I even like the overall style of the target, I just don't like the size.

I guess the idea of having a third center ring would solve the problem fairly easily though. 

I agree in that the main issue would be getting enough people interested. I have always felt that the slinging community would advance in overall skill much more quickly if there was a group of avid slingers to sling with and learn from each other first hand.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #36 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 12:21pm

and one of the reasons people are not interested is because there IS NOT an easily accessible form of slinging for anyone to see and decide to try.

It's the entire point of this thread.
As I've been trying to explain to the slinging.org members, on and off, for over 6 years.

I suspect that people who join slinging.org are never going to agree on anything. We're that kind of crowd.

I'll be teaching a bunch of kids next year - so I'll roll out my system then.
If a thing is already a done deed, it's soo much easier to get other people to adopt it.
And if they've never slung before they'll accept it without any hassle.

So my only concern regarding this thread is whether anyone can come up with a better standard form of ammo than I already have. I'm decided on my target and sling pouch: balearic and aussie.
But if anyone can work out how to produce identical, safe and well sized and weighted ammo around the world that's easier than a squash ball filled with sand. Please let me know.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #37 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 5:49pm

Further to your sand filled squash ball, the idea sounds great but how big a hole did you have to cut to get the sand in there and how did you seal it later? Does the ball rupture when it hits something hard?

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Dilyan Ganev

Hard rocks...

Balkans, Bulgaria, Burgas
Reply #38 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 6:26pm

i suggest using Jaegoors rusty balls(footbags) Balloons are known everywhere in the world...

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #39 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:35pm

CA,

The vast majority of Limeys are not on slinging dot org,the same for the vast majority of yanks.Think about it for a minute.

Paleo,

We cannot have a world standard revolve around a plastic jug,that seems silly.To me....

Let us try again to create a standard for distance,target and weight.

Is anything else really required?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #40 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:02am

jax - that's pretty much my point - the vast majority of people have no knowlege of the sling. And until there is a publicly accessible form of the sport - they never will.
I think I've explained this seven ways to sunday in as many one syllable words as I can thinik of over the last 6 years.

I've decided on oatarget, pouch and ammo - until something better comes along. So I'm - personally -  done in that respect.

Aussie.
I guess about half - 2/3 of an inch incision. The rubber on squash balls is very thick, so you need something that is long enough to give you a small hole when you squish the cut.
I filled it with a piece of paper rolled into a funnel and sand from the big pile at the golfcourse meant for the bunkers.

I selaed it with some new glue stuff that I got from poundland. It sets to form a flexible, transparent  rubber seal. I used enough so that the rubber seal is on both the inside and outside of the incision.
You need to leave it a couple of days for the rubber to completely set.

Haven't slung these yet but I can squeeze them as hard as I like and the seal just flexes.

Hang on I'll go sling one at the wall a few times....

Holy crap that's a good seal !
Well about 20 hard throws at a brick wall from about 8 feet. It just about rolls back to my feet.
The seal is untouched and actually looks more durable than the rubber itself.
Got a little worried when it was covered in sand - but turned out that was just mortar I was knocking out from between the bricks Wink
Fantastic ammo to sling as well.  

So yeah I'm happy with that.
Given that target slinging is always low power and arced, these balls will most probably last for ever - or until lost.

The glue type is: 3-trimethoxysilyl propyl ethylene diamine. It has a common name that is used in different brands of the same stuff. That I can't remember as it's not used on the tube itself and I binned the packaging a while ago.
Found some on ebay - the words to look out for are: MS Polymer glue. (probably the methoxysilyl part)
Quote:
Fantastic Elastic Flexible Glue

Produces a unique flexible bond and seal

Can be used on metal, glass, ceramics, mirror, plastics, wood, leather, vinyl and fabrics

Uses MS Polymer technology to create a flexible bond

Highly resistant to shock impact, water and extreme temperatures

But that small tube would be sufficient for about 20-30 squash balls. next time I spot it in a pound shop I'll fill my basket Smiley. I'll probably use it to glue the conveyor belt as well if I can get enough of it.
It's pretty good for lots of other things as well.
The pic below shows the glue and the sealed part of the ball I was just slinging at the wall.
The slinging took the shine off the glued area and you probably wouldn't see it if you weren't looking for it.
But it looks to be at least as strong as the rest of the ball.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Fundibularius
Interfector Viris Spurii

Sultan of Sling

Inter Mosam ac Rhenum
Reply #41 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:46am

Morphy wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:19am:
And the Balearic target really limits one's growth in that area IMO. The larger your target, the more things you can do wrong and still hit it. I do not sling at a Balearic target for the same reason I don't use my father-in-law's barn for a target.

I guess the idea of having a third center ring would solve the problem fairly easily though.  

What about increasing your own distance to the target?

Ferrugo numquam dormit.&&(Nigellus Iuvenis)&&&&

Noch weiz ich an im mere daz mir ist bekant
einen lintrachen  slouch des heledes hant
do badet er in dem blvote  des ist der helt gemeit
von also vester hvte  daz in nie wafen sit versneit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #42 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 11:34am

How about raquet balls injected with rubber epoxy? You'd end up with a slightly heavy solid rubber ball about the same size as a squash ball, but with a turkey baster sized hole instead of an incision.

Or better yet, google search for "solid rubber dog ball." No modification required, and I bet they will fly as far as your squash balls.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #43 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 2:01pm

Fundibularius wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:46am:
Morphy wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011 at 11:19am:
And the Balearic target really limits one's growth in that area IMO. The larger your target, the more things you can do wrong and still hit it. I do not sling at a Balearic target for the same reason I don't use my father-in-law's barn for a target.

What about increasing your own distance to the target?

Right now I sling in a situation where my max distance is 30-35 meters. 35 would be stretching it. Otherwise that would be the easiest solution.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #44 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 2:07pm

I hear you loudly and clearly when you say that you want to dumb down slinging for the masses, c_a.  Your idea could work to get those totally unfamiliar with slinging to try it.  But how long would they be satisfied with this entry level type slinging.  Go back to when you were a novice.  How long would you have stayed interested in such slinging.  A month?  Two? 
   Very few people ever try slinging these days.  Of those that do, only a small fraction become addicted, as we have.  Would we have stayed interested if slinging was limited to slinging sand filled rubber balls with Aussie pouches?  I'm not so sure.
   That's why I like my suggestion.  Go ahead with your entry level slinging to simplify it to get more people to try it.  That's not a terrible idea.  But give them some where to go once the get more experienced and want to experiment.  Have one class set up as you suggest, with sand filled lacrosse balls and Aussie pouches.  With this in place how hard would it be to include an unlimited class, where just the target and distances are the same?  That way you get the best of both worlds.  You have dumbed down slinging to make it easy for newbies plus you've given them somewhere to go so they don't get bored. 
    I don't have a problem with the Balearic target for both classes and I can see where it might be necessary to ban certain types of ammo such as golf balls for safety reasons.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, LightSlinger, Mauro Fiorentini)