Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throwable walking stick. (Read 5742 times)
fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Throwable walking stick.
Oct 2nd, 2011 at 4:06am

Right in the middle of my wall of dangerous things is an apple-wood walking stick curved for throwing.  The main reasonable purpose of it is to threaten coyotes.  They are a problem here and I saw one near my sling spot.

Oiled, fire-hardened and shaped partially with the tomohawk on the lower right and partially with woodcarving tools.

I used cooking oil for the oil, because why not?

I wanted an ironwood shilleleigh for a while, but found this apple-wood like a fallen gift from God.  Apple-wood is darn close, but easier to work. Smiley

BTW the other items are a heavily improved sword and a practice sword made of switches. You might recognize the other item in the lower-left. Wink  The sword was a cheap pos when bought, but I sharpened up the blade, sturdied up the handle, and replaced everything else.  Why would I want a plastic guard on a sword? Shocked

Details follow.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:48pm by fattybones »  

CIMG1931.JPG (69 KB | )
CIMG1931.JPG

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Re: Throwable walking stick.
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 4:09am

Melt some nylon cord and you have a mad-strong repair material.  After scraping off some water damage, this section was too thin and started to crack.  I took a lighter to some paracord and fixed it up.  I can put all my weight on the stick and whack the floor without breakage.

CIMG1935.JPG (62 KB | )
CIMG1935.JPG

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 4:10am

I sealed up the tip with melted nylon.

CIMG1937.JPG (51 KB | )
CIMG1937.JPG

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 4:14am

And nylon in the dents in the business end.  Business end has a subtle point, and is made from several knots.  The top section is grooved, just to give it different aerodynamics than the bottom.  It's made to swing like a sword, the curve facing forward so you can strike quick, around guarding limbs.  Also throws pretty well.

You can see some apple-y pink on the shaft.

CIMG1936.JPG (55 KB | )
CIMG1936.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 11:55am

I'll second that about apple-wood.  It's dense and as tough as nails.  I was fortunate enough to have a good apple-wood walking stick a few years ago.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 6:45pm

Applewood is extremely tough.  I was whittling some, trying to make an atlatl, and could barely make any headway.  I ended up slicing open my finger and getting stitches.  I had to use a grinder to finish the atlatl.  I still have a bunch of applewood left from a tree that was cut down, but I don't know what I want to do with it yet...

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 8:54pm

@Rat Man  You posted about it in another thread, that's how I knew it'd be a good material.  The ironwood from the Maritimes and New England is a type of birch, and is unique in being light -- most ironwoods are heavy.  Cops almost always have ironwood batons, and a cop once boasted to me that his baton was best because of it's lightness, while we were discussing different woods.

@Sons ..  Using proper carving knives is in every way better than whittling for harder wood.  I don't make the prettiest things, but I don't mess up much either.  They can even be very cheap.

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 8:05pm

that's cool!  You should try making a ball headed warclub, you make them by uprooting a tree that has a curve a the base, then you carve the roots, (the part with the roots growing off it is a burl with swirled grain, denser than the rest of the tree and won't split,) into a ball and carve then rest however you like, there are a lot of styles for the handle.  Just run it through google and you will see what I mean. 
  They are very tough and hit very hard, you could make a small ball on one and leave the handle extra long and you would have an excellent walking stick that you could bust a coyote up with.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 9:18am

Maybe I'll give that a shot Smiley  I might make it straight though, since I've really no need to throw the thing.  Once you throw it, you don't have it!

Oh and when I said threaten, coyotes spook easy.  Most animals are afraid of hominids holding sticks.  Might be a spear, could be an axe or even a gun, it's all the same to an animal.  Hmm, I wonder where this fear came from . . .  kinda makes you proud, eh?Grin

Chimpanzees sometimes exploit this by brandishing sticks at hungry lions.  The lion goes "oh spit that monkey's got a gun!" and takes off.  It's a strange combination of clever and stupid in the animal kingdom.
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2011 at 1:11am by fattybones »  

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:12am

The reason you make a ball headed warclub curved is it makes it weight forward, you have a heavy end being the ball and because of the curve the club naturally wants to fall forward, this allows for a harder swing.

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 2:11pm

LukeWebb wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 12:12am:
 The reason you make a ball headed warclub . . . 

OK, curved it is.  Thanks.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 9:12am

My camera's out of juice, but I was at a bonfire, and I heat-bended my stick straighter, and it became much more wieldy now that the bend is slighter.  That's why you'd want a straight one I suppose.  I am no martial artist, so when I make the ironwood shillelagh this winter, I might have a bend in the end.  I think power weapons help the unskilled user, and wieldy ones the skilled. I want the shaft straight for looks.  This one's awesome until I find my perfect sapling.  I'm doing throwing stick practice until the snow comes -- I'll craft once I can't go outside. TY for the advice!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)