Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tomahawk Sheath (Read 5754 times)
Samurismallz

Why am I wasting slinging
time on this forum?

Tomahawk Sheath
Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:45pm

I recently bought a tomahawk from an event in my area. It wasn't exactly a Renaissance fair, but more of a colonial times kind of thing.  There was no sheath that came with it, and nobody was selling a sheath for a tomahawk. I bought some deer hide scraps that I plan on turning into a sheath, but I need to take the hair off of them first. Does anyone have any good suggestions for doing this? Also, suggestions on how to make the sheath would be welcome.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Re: Tomahawk Sheath
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 5:06am

pretty easy,  juss make an outline of the head and make the cut a lil bigger than the head,  then stitch it,  ill show pics of mine when I can,  juss look at a hatchet sheath and ull see how to make one,  dont have buttons but i used a cheap carabiner and cord to attach sheath to handle

IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 6:22am

ok, i thought it would be that simple, but I wasn't sure. I'm still a novice (in the extreme) at this kind of thing.

Take life as it comes.  Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.&&&&There is one rule, above all others, for a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.&&&&Death is lighter than a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:42am

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:34am

I wanted to try somthing a little more different (and more primitive). So what I did for my CS trail hawk was I took a piece of paper and cut it out around the hawk in the shape I wanted then I took a piece of deer rawhide and traced the shape of the paper on to the rawhide, cut out the rawhide, soaked the rawhide till it was nice and soft and clamped it on to the hawk. When it was done dryin I glued the top of the sheath together and drilled a hole in the top corner closest to the handle and pulled piece of twisted hemp about 10in long through the hole, this way I could tie the hemp below the hammer on the back and it would make the sheath even more secure.

In the end it worked out kind of like primitive kydex.  Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 10:11pm

If you want to keep it simple, take a square piece of leather slightly longer than the sharp edge of the tomahawk. Fold it in half with the blade of the tomahawk resting along the fold. Fasten a leather thong to each end of the leather square and tie the thong behind the handle side of the tomahawk head. This will protect the blade and you yet it is easy and fast to get on and off.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 9:39pm

alright, these are good ideas for sheath design, but what about de-hairing the hides?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 9:56pm

Are the scraps already tanned or are they raw hide?  Bill

IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 9:57pm

I'm not exactly sure.  They're fairly flexible, and they're the scraps from tanned hides, so I'm guessing they're already tanned.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 8:46am

Well if you normally know how to tan a hide, soak it in water and roll it up for awhile (this makes the hair lose) then soak it again and scrap the hair and epidurmis off the same way you scraped the inside. This is a very simple way of saying a small portion of tanning, if you are actually doing some legit tanning look it up and learn exactly how to do it really well before you start.

If you want to just make it softer tie a 1/2-1in rope veritcaly (on a tree or what have you) and pull the hide back and forth, pulling with one arm, then the other, all the while keeping very hard tension on the hide, the longer you do this the softer the hide will be. But you really don't need to do this for too long if you are just making a sheath.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Samurismallz

time on this forum?

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:44pm

alright, I'll try that.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 4:24am

You could leave the hair on the inside, it'll polish the blade.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 6:43am

Or...... leave the hair on the outside for a really primitive look.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 7:16pm

Keep them inside, they'll prevent the blade from getting rusty!
Otherwise, always remember to put some (little) pork grase inside the sheath.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)