Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First knife I ever forged (Read 7676 times)
Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

First knife I ever forged
Sep 4th, 2011 at 11:27pm

Just finished the first knife I made since I started blacksmithing (about a year ago). It's made from one single railroad spike. I tried to clay temper it, but I don't know if it worked very well. After one heating and oil quenching with clay, I heated it 2 more times and quenched it in oil, then once in water, then heated it once more and let it cool. The dark marks on the blade are leftovers from where I got carried away during forging. Total length is 11 inches. 7 inches of blade and 4 inches of handle and pommel.

But I learned a few things: Smaller lumps of coal (golf-ball sized or less) work better than large lumps. At some point, the fire got hot enough the coal and slag and everything else started to melt. It got sticky. That was when I got my best results. So it was a good learning experience.

I apologize for the quality of the photo. The downside to fluorescent lights is that the lighting sucks.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: First knife I ever forged
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 11:37pm

Looks good to me.  Much better than I can do.  Make a tomahawk head from a railroad spike next.  Bill

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 3:35am

Yes, it is a very nice work, congratulations!
I can't give you any very valuable suggestion, because I've got no much more experience than you (blacksmithing since a year and a half).
But one thing I've learned, is to focus my production on some particular stuff; in my case, these are knives and arrowheads.
This because those are small items but forging them is very useful; you learn a lot of thing e.g. how to make a straight blade and how to make a cylinder.

Just one question, what kind of coal do you use?
Because I don't do so many quenches, just one fits me, once I've forged the knife for a certain time, at the right temperature, using artisanal coal.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

greencheapsk8
Descens

Just in it for the fire!

Taranaki, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:04am

I usually only quench once, but my blacksmithing efforts have been pretty dismal so far. Undecided

Rivers of silver, that is my dream.&&Glowing, twisting, snaking, flowing.&&Cooling and burning, shrinking and melting.&&

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:48am

Ok, let me tell you my experiences.
I usually quench only once, too, and results have been different.
I use a coal made out of oak and chestnut, in my Iron Age forge (a pit in which leather is immitted by a leather bellows), and forge only raw iron, not steel. Despite the simplicity of the design, the forge is capable of reaching high temperatures: I melted the iron twice.
After all this time, I understood that a successful forging somehow depends on the ingot's dimensions, on the time it's been heated and hammered, and in the color it has when it's quenched.

Basically, a 3 millimeters thick ingot, requires about 4 hours of forging to get enough carbon molecules. Best quench is at cherry red, or bright orange. More will cause the iron to be too brittle.

Pay particular attention when you have to weld, for you need to work at very high temp (coal white, just before melting temp), and after the welding you'll have to quench; then heat again to mantain the weld but remove the brittleness.

This weekend I'm going to study temperatures and test different queches (water, frozen water, water with oil surface, oil) for my thesis, by making 4 blades out of iron ingots; I'll then try to bend them and see the differences. Stay tuned  Smiley
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 9:00am

Well, I haven't tried welding yet.

For coal, I use plain black furnace coal. I know it's not the best quality or the right kind, and I started breaking the larger lumps up with a hammer. But it's all I could find.

I have melted a thin piece of rebar (I was trying to make a bodkin arrowhead), but that's about all.

My forge is an old boiler lid my grandfather converted to a barbeque grill. I inherited it, added the tyere (Spelling?), and filled in the bottom with adobe and grout to level it out. Then I got some fireproof bricks from work and built up the sides. Later on I added a piece of chimney pipe to vent at least some of the smoke out the window. Here's a picture of it the first time I fired it up, before I got the bricks added:

For a blower I use the pump from an air mattress. I need to add a ball valve to it though. It's a little too powerful. Shocked

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 9:36am

Better pictures I took this morning:

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 12:04pm

Congratulations on your efforts!
Perhaps the word you was looking the spell of was tuyére? Which is the scientifical term for the fireproof end of the bellows pipe.

Is that the first forge you make? I ask you because I've made 4, two of which are now destroyed, one has been converted to a Medieval forge (it was a rusty pre-1950's forge I inherited from a relative, too), and the last is the one I usually work with. By the way, you did a really good job, congratulations!

You do well in breaking the coal, that's something I soon learned, too. Even because it's easier to heat.
May I ask you where do you get your coal? Is there nobody who produces artisanal type?
Given the same thermal power, with a wood coal you can enrich your iron with carbon monoxide, which is what you need to make steel - very challenging!

By the way, should you be interested, here's the thread about my experiments:

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1304866605

Greetings,
Mauro Fiorentini.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 2:08pm

That looks pretty neat for homemade, i bet it works good.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 2:28pm

It works better now that I built up the sides with fireproof bricks. Doing that allowed me to concentrate the heat better. I also have one flat brick that I can place over the top to hold even more heat in. I'll try to get some pictures of it now.

When I placed the bricks, I didn't use any mortar, so I could change it around if I wanted.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 3:05pm

Let me say... should you ever be interested in metal melting (bronze or brass, for making knives furnitures and so on), you should close your pit, that you make with bricks.
Then, put a pot full of water on the top flat brick.
As the water boil, you've reached the right melting temperature for any copper alloy  Wink
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:36pm

Do they still make the railroad spikes out of iron, or steel?  I know it used to be iron... anyway, I know very little about blacksmithing, but I do know that if it is iron, when you pull it out of the forge, if you blow cold air onto it, the iron becomes a crude steel (bessemer process; I think I misspelled it...)

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:38pm

I'm presently trying to learn to blacksmith.  I don't really have a good forge, though.  It's just a deep, angled pit, with a steel panel on top that has two vents for air circulation when I'm fanning the fire.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 5:58am

Somewhere I've seen a video of a rural African forge. A pile of coals on the ground, a rock for an anvil, and a kid flapping a rag for a bellows. The nice thing about blacksmithing is that it doesn't have to be fancy,it just has to work.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 7:02am

African blacksmithing is exactly what I'm studying with my thesis  Smiley
My Iron Age forge replica is build the African way, not having any archaeological finding.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Greetings,
Mauro.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)