Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Poll closed Poll
Question: What name should this throw have?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Overshoulder    
  16 (55.2%)
Florentine Overshoulder    
  1 (3.4%)
Italic Overshoulder    
  1 (3.4%)
Sicilian Overshoulder    
  1 (3.4%)
Pacific Overhand    
  1 (3.4%)
Roman Overhand    
  0 (0.0%)
Atlatl Overhand    
  2 (6.9%)
Rioter's Friend    
  0 (0.0%)
Baseball Throw    
  1 (3.4%)
Short Pacific    
  6 (20.7%)

Total votes: 29
« Created by: Morphy on: Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:41am »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Name this style (Read 5233 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Name this style
Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:41am

On Aug. 29th I started a thread on a style that was new to me. www.youtube.com/watch?v=L22o2LWX5tg

Skip to 6:52 for a shot illustrating the style.

My main reason in posting this video was so more people could see this throw and, hopefully, we could find a name for it.

I believe it's important to do this as a forum. After all, a name is only good if a majority accepts and uses it. Now that more people are aware of this style than before it only makes sense we give it an official name.

Above is a poll with the names offered up by some of our members. Please feel free to vote and also if you feel inclined, explain why you voted the way you did. (If you have a specific reason).

This poll will stay open for a week from the day of this post. After that time it will be closed and the winning vote will become the new name of this style.

Thanks in advance for taking part.  Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Name this style
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:45am

I vote Italic Overshoulder for this style because it remands me of Michelangelo's David, but I like David's idea of Pacific Style for the longer version where you hold the pouch in your off hand. If we don't do a separate name for each, then I'd prefer Pacific. If you were to just pick a name I think the rest of the forum would follow your lead, but I appreciate you including the rest of us in the decision, Morphy.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 2:58am

Voted overshoulder,simple,it fits and it describes the throw.No need to attach nations to it,in my opinion.
It's nice that morphy decided that everyone who's willing,can participate in naming the style he come up with.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 5:49am

fig. 4

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 8:03am

I like Short Pacific.  It rolls out quick and easy and gives sort of a short description of the style.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 10:30pm

jlasud wrote on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 2:58am:
Voted overshoulder,simple,it fits and it describes the throw.No need to attach nations to it,in my opinion.
It's nice that morphy decided that everyone who's willing,can participate in naming the style he come up with.

The reason I chose the word Italic instead of Italian is because Italic doesn't have anything to do with any country or people, just geography.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 11:10pm

I was wondering about that as well. That was a smart move IMO. Didn't realize that Italic only described a geographical region.

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 4:42am

I voted Florentine Overshoulder because it reminds me of the David sculpture. Actually, I'd just call it a Florentine. I checked out the video and I have to say I like this throw a lot, particularly as I also tend to favour slings around this length. Nice job!

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 11:07am

Thank you Snowcelt. I really like it as well. This is one throw that needs a ton more experimenting done to figure out all the variables. I wish I had the time. Whatever slinging time I do get right now (which is not as much as I would like) is going to something I feel is more important. A Fig-8 how-to video for accuracy.

Paradoxically it seems that the more basic the throw is in slinging, the more complicated it is when it comes to variables that affect it's overall effectiveness. This one is as basic as it gets so there is a lot to test.

Thanks for voting.  Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 3:10pm

overshoulder, although to me it feels a lot like plain apache? or am i getting mixed up with my styles? either way i went with overshoulder, because we don't have enough style names that easily ring a bell.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 4:45am

Morphys Kiss.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 6:15am

I like overshoulder the most, it describes the style and its simple.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 8:14am

Overshoulder seems to be winning  Grin

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #13 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 10:57am

This is going well. I am glad so many people are voting.

I went with Short Pacific because it has a nice ring, it is easy to say and it is so much like the Pacific Islander throw, just shorter.

I wanted to wait a while to give my vote just to see what the general consensus was. My other two favorites were the Overshoulder and the Italic Overshoulder.

I don't think we could go wrong with any of them, but those 3 top my list.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 6:56pm

TTT

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris)