Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Slinging in the sun (Read 11910 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Slinging in the sun
Sep 2nd, 2011 at 9:08pm

The last few weeks, I went slinging at a cliff face. Midday sun, so no passerby; also overexposed film. I think I got better by the end.

The target: a very big graffito, the size of a couch.
The sling: braided and woven pouch.
http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1311625315/16#16

Distances and hits:

15 m (?), all the time.
20 m (?), not very often, say between 15 and 30 % of the time. Problems with shots pulling severely to the right.

Technique: helicopter, with problematic release and follow-through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-gKuPwlrI

Comments and snark welcome.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2014 at 4:39am by Thearos »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Slinging in the sun
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 4:12am

I would suggest keeping your elbow further back behind your head, you are giving up a lot of throw length by having your arm too much beside you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-EHvtjhAY

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 4:54am

And try to put more force in your arm when you release it.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 4:57am

Thanks, Jauke-- too much slack in the release, as if I were tossing the stone. It doesn't *feel that way, only shows on the vid.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 10:37am

I don't use this style so I'm not the best person to answer this. But I do agree with both of the above answers. Not from a specific knowledge of the helicopter but just from a knowledge of how the sling works in general. Your losing a ton of power because your not getting your whole body into it and it seems like your pulling into the throw late so your almost guiding the sling towards the target rather than the usual hard and smooth pull into a throw.  Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 11:10am

Thanks !

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:01pm

The same inability to rein in the slack visible in an older vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY_Q3R_LeyY

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 2:39pm

Thearos wrote on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 12:01pm:
The same inability to rein in the slack visible in an older vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY_Q3R_LeyY

Perhaps a shorter sling would help?  Huh 

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 3:26pm

It seemed to me like your follow through was a little off balance.  I think you could be more accurate if you'd smooth that out  or do like Jaegoor and eliminate the step through; just twist your hips instead.  I changed from stepping through to just hip twisting and I didn't notice any change in power.  I just got more accurate.  

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 4:20pm

Thanks, very useful. Yes, I guess it's more like throwing at the target, and I don't really think about finish. I do sometimes hit the target dead centre, which is nice.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 6:49pm

I will agree with Rat Man, it looks like you are off balance when you throw.  You need to smooth out your release and avoid lunging into the throw.  Bear in mind that you have been slinging for a lot longer than me, I am not an expert by any means.  Bill

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 7:56pm

Avoid lunging-- sounds good, much appreciated !

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2011 at 8:41am

I am with Bill and the others as far as your foot work and I would also suggest putting a little more arm in it as well. Get out there and keep slinging, and if you listen to the guys here you'll definitely get more comfortable and better in no time.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 1:01am

Comparing your action to Jaegoor's; a few points that struck me:

1. He keeps his feet very firmly planted. The front doesn't move at all and the rear has only heel lift. Balance is critical.

2. He does the initial helicopter rotations very well back, like the picture on the logo; not overhead. Starting too far forward forces you into a "forward topple" on release.

3. When he's ready to discharge he rotates his whole body around its axis which then brings his arm forward and discharges with a very pronounced downward sweep. Note where his arm finishes, quite low down near his left hip. Even though the initial rotations are approximately horizontal the final thrust definitely is not. You tend to sweep through to the left in essentially the same plane as the initial rotations.

4. I don't know what weight stones you use but he prefers heavy stones at 200+ grams. I've been experimenting a little with heavy projectiles (a lacrosse ball, still lighter than 200g) and the velocity retention is phenomenal. Even his very relaxed looking style gives a considerably faster velocity than you would expect. You may want to experiment with increasing the weight of your projectiles.

BTW this is a case of do what I say not do what I do. I mainly sling tennis balls which are very light. I accept they are less than ideal but my overiding consideration is public safety so performance suffers a bit.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 9:18am

Thanks, Aussie. Yours were the comments I was most looking forward to. The ammo used here is "hand-filling stones". No idea of weight, but pretty chunky stuff.

I wish I;d had your comments while earlier ! I didn't have the right cable, so couldn't upload the film. The funny thing is that I've had correspondence with Jaegoor on technique, and he made the point about not stepping forward, and I was convinced I was in fact keeping this to a minimum !

The downwards slash favoured by Jaegoor is very nice. I'm still trying to master horizontal release timing, which should be possible, even at my age.

The forward topple comes from the mistaken belief that this is, in effect, orienting the body towards the target-- the result is somehow to fall out of synch with rotation power-- hence this limp lobbing movement.

When all's said and done, I must have slung maybe 700-900 shots, good heavy stones (not well shaped, alas)-- and thoroughly enjoyed each one of them flying hard and breaking against a cliff face.  
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2014 at 4:42am by Thearos »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)