Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Salting Before Fire-Hardening? (Read 5641 times)
Molpadia
Novicius

Out-Z the Z

Great Esker, Massachusetts
Salting Before Fire-Hardening?
Aug 18th, 2011 at 1:31pm

Hi everyone! I was searching for some information on firing wood, and in some manner of chance happened across this forum. It looks like a wonderful resource and I'm thrilled to be making my first post here.

I'm currently in the early stages of creating my own primitive hunting weaponry, and admittedly still something of a novice at just about every aspect of this very broad and ancient art.

My first attempt is going to be a throwing club. I've done my research and have decided on a straight club rather than a curved one, and will be making it out of a length of freshly cut Oak (Oak from Massachusetts, specifically). I'll surely be fire-hardening the wood, but there is one aspect of this process I'd love some feedback on.

I've heard of people making something of a "salt mush" by boiling one part water in with two to three parts salt, so that you have a wet pile of salt. The wood is then soaked in the salt beforehand, dried out a bit overnight, and then fire hardened.

Does anyone know anything about this practice? I've found varying results for this process, from it only providing a nice finish to the wood, to it actually making the wood more durable. Could anyone evaluate on this practice for me?

A thousand thank yous and blessed be.

The field is cut and leads to read,&&The cannonballs fly round my head.&&Infirmary man may count me dead,&&When I've gone to find my ain true love...
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Salting Before Fire-Hardening?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:10pm

I have never heard that one before, and I have studied just about every primitive and prehistoric culture there is.

For thrown clubs, simple is best. The effort expended in gathering salt and firewood would make a whole bundle of such clubs. Concentrate the weight at the tip by using a big lump from a root ball or a section of main trunk. Search for ball-ended clubs for comparison.

Also, dont be upset when the mods move this post to another forum. They run a tight ship here.

IP Logged

Molpadia
Novicius

Out-Z the Z

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:27pm

Oh no worries at all, they'll do what they have to do. I expect it'll teach me where to post topics appropriately.

Thanks for your feedback! Out of curiosity, is there a standard length for a throwing club, or is it subjectively variable depending on the person throwing it?

The field is cut and leads to read,&&The cannonballs fly round my head.&&Infirmary man may count me dead,&&When I've gone to find my ain true love...
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:32pm

I think you'll find that David, Paleo, Bill and a few others here know a huge amount about all sorts of these weapons so if he hasn't heard of it, it might not exist.

That being said, keep in mind that small game like a rabbit or a squirrel are pretty small creatures. Get a hard dense wood like oak, osage, or hickory and make it big enough and your going to kill that animal if you hit it dead on. Just think about it this way. That throwing club to them would be like you getting hit by an entire log at 50 mph or so. Pretty deadly.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:40pm

I'm just a slinger, and don't know much useful info about other primitive weapons but I remember this length question coming up before. The length depends on where you are and what your intended game is. A throwing stick for small game to medium sized birds game is going to be longer and heavier than a comparable stick meant for small fowl or varmints because the weight gives more stopping power. Peoples that lived in forests tended to make their throwing sticks shorter and broader while peoples that lives in wide, open areas made narrower longer throwing sticks because a short, broad stick is better able to fly between trees but a long, flat, and thin stick is going to be able to fly for longer distances.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 2:40pm

Theres no standard, anywhere around one or two feet long is common

IP Logged

Molpadia
Novicius

Out-Z the Z

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 3:01pm

Wow. Thank you all for your feedback. I just whittled off all of the bark and am drying the wood now. I'll surely give you all some results when I test it out tomorrow morning!

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 3:14pm

As far as length, the amount of vegetation will dictate that.  Weight is whatever feels comfortable, 1/2 pound is about your max weight, 1/4 pound is about your minimum.  Out west, they used a non returning boomerangs that were actually airfoils.  They were used in Europe. too, the oldest is around 18.000 years old and is made of mammoth ivory and was found in Poland.   

Salt, in most of the world, was incedibly difficult and time consuming to get.  The Native Americans didn't use salt as a preseritive for food because it was too difficult to get.  As DM said, simple is better.  Early man simply didn't waste time making some elaborate tool for something when a simple one would work just as well.  The salt hardening sounds more medievil, the shipbuilders of Genoa used to soak the timbers used in their galley for 100 years before they used them.  They would bury them in the mudflats at low tide.  Bill

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 12:25pm

I heard that the first nations people used to burn coltsfoot to get a salty ash for preserving meat.  I guess because they had no salt.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 1:19pm

If they did, it's not a traditional method of preserving meat. Coltsfoot is an introduced species in the new world that was brought over during European colonization.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 9:53pm

I guess you can't trust everything you see on youtube  Embarrassed Also coltsfoot is very invasive and hard to kill, I'd like a word with whoever did that over the state of my garden!

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 11:00am

honey was an important preservative in primitive societies. Along with drying and smoking.
Obviously only the last two apply to timber Smiley

Smoking might be used to drive out and kill any pests that might be inhabiting the timber as well as cutting down on the likelyhood of mold and fungus.

Given that most wooden structures had internal wood fires though - most smoke preserving for buildings was done - purely inadvertently - post construction Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2011 at 8:20pm

Honey wasn't used in North or South America as a preserative, honey bees are not a native species.  I have heard that lye from wood ash was used to keep mold and fungus from growing on smoked meat.  Unfortunately, there isn't any proof either way, one of these days I will smoke some meat and dip some in the lye water and leave some plain and see what happens, it really needs to be in the rafters, over a fire, getting coated with smoke every day.  Maybe I won't waste the meat, after all.  Bill

IP Logged

LukeWebb
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick Canada
Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 6:55pm

A curved throwing club will go farther because the curve and the root burl being at the end of that curve cause it to rotate faster and pull itself forward due to the weight of the heavier end and the curve.  You can also taper the edges like on a boomerang and it will go much farther and hover like a boomerang it just won't return.
  A good resource for this is this forum here: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/forums/102/Misc-Primitive-Weapons

See my work and friend me on Facebook!&&https://www.facebook.com/luke.webb.56808
toonsbylaw@yahoo.ca  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)