Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
weapons for fish? (Read 9017 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

weapons for fish?
Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:50pm

I am trying to find a weapon that I could use to fish with.  The only catch is that it has to plausibly fit in a 10 foot kayak.  I've tried just throwing a sharpened stick, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.  I've thought about trying the atlatl, or a blowgun.  Any ideas?

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: weapons for fish?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:35pm

I'd go with 1 of 3 options: a Hawaiian sling, a polespear, or a travel sized fishing rod. Unless you're made of money, then you should get this.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:59pm

I have tried bowfishing from a kayak, you need a short bow like the Bear Supermag 48 or the Kodiak Magnum.  With a 60 inch recurve, the bottom limb goes in the water on close shots.  Instead of an atlatl with a flexable dart, the traditional system is a non flexable throwing board with a relativly short stiff harpon.  It works well for short downward shots, not so well for far shots.  Oh, yes, very important, have a strong cord securely attached to your dart, you can sink your dart really deep in a log on the bottom of the river, you want to be able to pull the log up so you can dig the point out with your knife.  And when you are pulling, never forget that kayaks tip over easily.  Bill

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:50pm

I was thinking of something along the lines of a hollow banboo pole with a barbed tip, with fishing line running down through the inside, and attached to a reel at some point near the distal end.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:52pm

If you are just looking for a weapon to fish with, try a hand grenade. You will get plenty of fish. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:06pm

I am thinking that the polespear is probably best.  I suppose I could always drop a toaster or something in the water lol

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:27pm

Hinge gun ... think Hawaiian sling with a trigger
http://rocknfish.com/HingeGun.html

For one handed operation after being cocked.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Galvanicfish

Just not right.

Central Ohio
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:38pm

I was hoping this was a plan to arm fish... So I got nothing. Just remember water bends light and you have to compensate.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana&&&&

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 7:50am

Galvanicfish wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:38pm:
...Just remember water bends light and you have to compensate.

mount a laser pointer in/on the handle and just put the red dot on the fish. saw this done by a bow fisherman.

Here is another view of a hinge gun http://www.reocities.com/Pipeline/curb/5893/images/hingegun.jpg
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2011 at 11:38am by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

B-ri_1864
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 12:55am

That hinge gun looks really cool yet sort of simple to make. i think ill give that one a try myself. but I cant help but wonder, where would someone be able to find dimensions for such a weapon?

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 8:42am

Kind of like a sling. There are no dimensions; just make something that fits.

I'd probably start with a block of wood 8 or 9 inches long.
Maximum pull for propelling rubber .. probably in the neighbor hood of 2 to 2.5 feet
So how long to cut the rubber? : http://slingshotforum.com/topic/255-band-or-tube-length-how-to-calculate/page__h...

Basically stretch and try till it feels right then cut a couple of bands/tubes

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 11:33am

i fish with a blowgun. i have actually gotten fish with it! a barbed dart with a string on it attached to your blowgun. aim below if the sun is behind you, high if it is in front

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:29pm

You need to check out Paleoarts fish spear.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 10:48pm

Have you guys every made paper hornets (launched with a rubber band)?  I was thinking of making a barbed dart for use with a slingshot.  Do you guys think that it would work?  A slingshot is quite powerful, so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work.

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 11:13pm

it would have to be attached to your boat, or you, because if not, the fish wil get hit and swom away, with your dart, and worse,an agonizing death.

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)