Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
cheap blowgun? (Read 6810 times)
Sons of benjamin
Descens

cheap blowgun?
Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:45pm

Anyone know how to make a cheap blowgun, that wouldn't involve me buying anything?  I might have access to PVC, but I doubt it, and I don't have any bamboo.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: cheap blowgun?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:46pm

Got any straws? Wink

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 1:08pm

Plastic broomstick  handle? The kind that's hollow so that you can stick a dart in. Cutting the front of a PET water bottle and usin it as a mouthpiece.would work if it fits.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:48pm

I don't have any plastic broom handles, but I might have some straws lol.

Judges 20:16 "Out of all this people there were seven hundred chosen men left handed.  Every one of these was a slinger of stones to a hairbreadth and would not miss."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:39pm

Sons of benjamin wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:48pm:
I don't have any plastic broom handles, but I might have some straws lol.  

Get some frozen peas and you're all set!

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:48pm

Almost any tubing of around 1/2" inside diameter will work well.   PVC is about as cheap as it gets, and works very well.  Paper-cone darts are easy to make and can deliver serious punch.
Bamboo is almost impossible; the nodes are too difficult to remove.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 10:40am

PVC works decently (use 1/2 inch), BUT when it gets to appreciable length it bends. Even at just 5 ft it starts bending appreciably.

I recently bought a length of Electrical conduit, but it is heavier than I thought, and I need to cut it down to 6 or 5 feet, because it too is bending (though much less than the PVC does). I've toyed with the idea of Copper pipe, that might work better.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 11:45am

I use six feet of 15mm copper water pipe wrapped over its length with black duct tape for looks. Foam pipe insulation serves as a hand grip and mouthpiece. I shoot bamboo bbq skewers with Cherokee style spiral bound fletches of tufts of cotton wool. These are very tough and have survived being shot through cardboard boxes and water balloons. Try that with paper cones!

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 1:15pm

do you have any links about creating that type of fletching/wadding? I have been disappointed with paper cones covered with packing tape.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 10:25pm

I saw an episode of Dual Survival where the kentucky guy used a tuft of something fuzzy (you can use wool) stuck to the very end of the dart for fletching.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 9:33pm

A while back slingingrat sent me an excellent PVC blowgun.  He sent it with wooden darts with paper cone fletching.  He'd be a good one to ask.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 10:24am

I used to make pvc blowguns, around 1.20 meter in length, and i used paper darts with spikes in them, i could shoot them 30 meters far, and penetrate wood.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 8:03pm

Check YouTube under the "home made airgun" videos.   Most airguns (like the one I made) use 1/2" copper for the barrel.  One fellow showed a method of making durable dart "fletching" using plastic bottles.

I didn't save the video...

I think I can describe it, though.   You need regular plastic milk jugs.  You take a propane torch, and set it up a couple of feet away from the jug to heat the plastic.  At some point, the plastic will become clear and at that point it's quite pliable.
Then, you take an ordinary plumb-bob, and push it into the plastic, making a conical depression.  You can make several of these on each side.

When the plastic cools again, you can cut out these plastic cones, put a nail in one end, and measure against your barrel diameter for a snug fit.
The Video showed these things impacting !/4" plywood and going right through....

There are tons more designs on YouTube, most all of which would make good projectiles for mouth-blown weapons as well.

IP Logged

Sons of benjamin
Descens

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 11:37pm

I'll have to try that.  It's probably the best idea I've heard yet.

IP Logged

TS308
Tiro

Whip it, whip it good!!

Allegheny Mountains
Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 12:45am

For a small blowgun take a Bic pen and strip it of the ink/tip and the end cap. Then take 1 cotton swab like a Qtip and cut it in half. The 2 halfs are your darts. Add points to the darts by gluing a sewing needle to each dart shaft with epoxy. This is what I learned my freshman year of highschool. Experiment and make it your own.

‎"drive your enemies before you...,hear the lamentation of their women"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)